CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The track of the Canadian doesnt look far off the GFS run from tonight... pretty close through GA/SC/NC.

GGEM was pretty close to right on temps last time, NAM was right on strength of warm nose correct? Wonder if significant ice is possible with that track and the GGEM just has a better handle on temps than GFS does.

GGEM was pretty close to right on temps last time, NAM was right on strength of warm nose correct? Wonder if significant ice is possible with that track and the GGEM just has a better handle on temps than GFS does.

The GFS is awful on any wedge scenario til inside 72-96, really most models are but the GFS tends to be the worst of the bunch but the Euro and GGEM can be pretty bad too

Man I wish superjames would get back in here. He's been Mia for a few days now

I'm back!  I was a bit "exhausted" after the last non-event and decided to take a 72-hour reprieve and let this one get into the D4-5 window when we can really get realistic about our chances.  Surprisingly, I actually haven't looked at a model or viewed the forum since the Monday 12z runs (I can't believe I actually was able to handle that, LOL).  I tried to make it to 12z tomorrow before caving, but I caved tonight!

Anyways, good to see that a wintry solution is still on the table.  When I checked out on Monday, the Euro had just hammered us with a big snow to sleet storm.  Looks like a nicely tracking Miller A is not the most likely scenario at this time.  I will say that with the HP sliding out we often see in-situ CAD hang on for much longer than modeled and I see some of the modeling is trying to take LPs directly over our area, which seems highly unlikely to me (maybe over the coastal plain or more likely out towards the Pamlico, IMHO).

This storm reminded me a bit of the February 2014 storm on Monday.  We'll see how things look now.  We kick butt at sleet these days, so why not have another? :lol:

It's kind of a shame to see the cold air and HP retreating as the storm comes in, but to be fair we've done really well with those setups in recent years (February 2014 and March 2014 come to mind).

Anyways, the 00z GGEM looks like a mega snow to sleet and/or ZR storm for CAD-land.  Lots of liquid equivalent.

Would be safe to say gfs is the outlier and the Euro and CMC are the more likely solutions?

IMO, the problem scenario for ice storm lovers in CAD land is this going into a super amped up solution that wants to erode the damming as the high is sliding out - but still some ice issues in that scenario.  The GFS is on the faster side at shoving the sfc high off the NE coast.  I believe the CMC might have the best handle on this right now in the CAD region - that's kind of painful to type knowing it's the CMC, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Archived