joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

soooo......looks like Robert is all in on this one as of right now. I do not have a good feeling on this for the upstate/NE GA. I think this one is going to hurt. Might be time to invest in a generator.

It has been 11 years since the last major ice storm. I think the system will trend colder and faster getting here like they have all winter this year. Also with the Miller a showing on the GFS would help keep the warm core away from the upstate. I do think it will be snow to sleet type of storm. Just my opinion.

It has been 11 years since the last major ice storm. I think the system will trend colder and faster getting here like they have all winter this year. Also with the Miller a showing on the GFS would help keep the warm core away from the upstate. I do think it will be snow to sleet type of storm. Just my opinion.

Agree with this! 75% of the time, even when we are supposed to get all zr, we get alot more sleet than forecasted! Good when you are supposed to get ZR, bad when your supposed to get snow!

12Z GFS trends not good at 108. Wedge weaker than 06Z, back side short wave stronger. Surface low in NW AL as high weakens and retreats. This low is going over us or even north. Fat lady is warming up. This run may even screw the mountains.

Edit- awful run for everyone. Low into the TN Valley. Congrats OH Valley?

12Z GFS trends not good at 108. Wedge weaker than 06Z, back side short wave stronger. Surface low in NW AL as high weakens and retreats. This low is going over us or even north. Fat lady is warming up. This run may even screw the mountains.

Fat lady warming up over one run of one model? Yikes. Awful knee jerky

Have trouble believing it will cut right into the cold air. Redevelopment to the east is more likely imo.

I'm a weenie, but I tend to agree. I can't remember many lows tracking over us since I've been here. Hell, I can't think of any, at least recently. I'm almost certainly missing some, of course, but still.

We'll see what the other modeling has to say soon.

We are now a lot closer to the event where these types of trends are much less likely to make a major shift back. Not impossible but looking really unlikely IMO. If the Euro and other models show this we are toast.

So if no models were showing wintry precip and one run of the GFS showed 10+ inches, you'd hug it and claim a trend? I'm not so sure you would.

Yeah, don't know....they've kind of reversed course over the past few runs, regular vs. para

Most of the tracks I see for the low are WELL inland now....  I don't think that works and I think the cold gets scoured out quickly with those tracks.  I think the Canadian is the still the furthest south and that needs to be the right one if this is going to be a true I-85 winter storm or close to it.  I don't like the trend of everything shifting northwest.  

Very surprised to see this in the paper this morning.....NWS is going all in, I'm not sure what they're seeing in the models though at this point.  Certainly hope they're right.  5 inches at CLT?

Also, WBTV had "major storm" on their forecast this morning on TV for Monday.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article59730976.html

Edit- awful run for everyone. Low into the TN Valley. Congrats OH Valley?

A little early to be cliff diving IMO though I understand why you would be. I think I will just stick to GSP's forecast as they tend to be more accurate than any forum member on here.

We are now a lot closer to the event where these types of trends are much less likely to make a major shift back. Not impossible but looking really unlikely IMO. If the Euro and other models show this we are toast.

nothing keeping the low south. the path of least resistance would be north. so wouldn't be shocked to see a more north trend. for my area (Charlotte, nc), im not expecting a major winter storm. Maybe front end and back end slop. 

There is no cold air left by then with the high way off the coast. With that strong a short wave having a low go that far north in this case is no problem at all.

Exactly...It's not like runs several days ago when this was more of a Monday storm and HP was not off the coast.  This is now a Tuesday event and the HP is way off the coast.

Archived