joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 4 days away.

:weenie:

I'm not cliff-diving, at least not yet. I want to see what the 12z Euro has to say. If it jumps on the warm/later/more amped boat, then I'd say unless something ridiculous happens, this isn't gonna work out for us. LIke Cold Rain said, that'd be a pity, but it the Euro may very well be our last chance for this storm.  It was around this time when it started showing a further south solution with the January storm, so keep your eyes peeled.

For those who can see it, how does the UKMET look? AmericanWx takes a while to load it.

I'm not cliff diving.  I just don't like the trends for this event.  Maybe it'll come back.  We've seen it before.  But, the high scooting out quickly, along with a more amped system lessens the chance for a major event.  Unless I see a reason that this system is going to come in more quickly than currently modeled, more south than currently modeled, weaker than currently modeled, and the high staying put longer than currently modeled, I have to think less impact.  And that is fine with me.  I have had enough ice for one winter.

Haha that is true.  You don't score until you score!

Fair enough, and you're far more knowledgeable than I, but I'm still optimistic given how entrenched the cold air mass appears to become this weekend. Those wedges are often very hard to bust. Although I'm not sure anyone wants an inch of ZR.

For those who can see it, how does the UKMET look? AmericanWx takes a while to load it.

My guess would be front end snow to sleet to ZR to rain for the CAD regions (obviously, the better the further N you go), as in-situ CAD would take some time to erode, especially up in the NW NC Piedmont and such.  No idea how much there would be before rain takes over.

It is definitely a better run than yesterday's 12z run, but it's hard to compare it to last night's run with the 24-hr panels.

2cr83zo.gif

vf9vo8.gif

At the hr 144 panel, it's up in central Quebec at 968 mb, LOL.

On top of ridiculous....after the coldest air of the season...becomes entrapped near the surface....you add the 12z dumper run with light frozen precip accums on the ground...then you want me to believe it's going to rain/potentially flood still?

Not happening. I expect Winter Storm Watches Saturday with a longer duration event than modeled.

Fair enough, and you're far more knowledgeable than I, but I'm still optimistic given how entrenched the cold air mass appears to become this weekend. Those wedges are often very hard to bust. Although I'm not sure anyone wants an inch of ZR.

Nah man, your thought here is completely valid. Wedges are usually stronger and usually hang in longer IF precip falls quickly enough. After the high is gone, the precip needs to get in quickly and fall hard enough to lock in the wedge. Otherwise, the air will moderates and the chances for an inland runner increases. This *looks* like the direction we're headed in.

I wasn't jumping earlier, just pointing out how bad the run was. It was similar to the 12z Euro run from yesterday.

Oh I know you weren't. It's easy to get caught up in run to run, I do it all the time. I just have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Pattern, seasonal trends, and airmass in place prior to storm.

Ukmet is out in meteocenter and I think it's a big front end hit on Monday. Low is over New Orleans at 7am. Gfs has it in central Oklahoma at the same time. Also cad looks good Monday as well, much better than the gfs. I wish we had access to precip maps

the ukmet is a lot faster and would imply a more easterly track. Compare the 96 and 120 panels to the Gfs and cmc.

Ukmet is out in meteocenter and I think it's a big front end hit on Monday. Low is over New Orleans at 7am. Gfs has it in central Oklahoma at the same time. Also cad looks good Monday as well, much better than the gfs. I wish we had access to precip maps

The sooner we can get precip in, the better.

My guess would be front end snow to sleet to ZR to rain for the CAD regions (obviously, the better the further N you go), as in-situ CAD would take some time to erode, especially up in the NW NC Piedmont and such.  No idea how much there would be before rain takes over.

It is definitely a better run than yesterday's 12z run, but it's hard to compare it to last night's run with the 24-hr panels.

2cr83zo.gif

vf9vo8.gif

At the hr 144 panel, it's up in central Quebec at 968 mb, LOL.

Thanks. LIke you said, sounds better, but still needs work to be anything good for our area.

I'm glad to hear the GEFS is further south.

Unless this storm gets shoved into tuesday a.m. start time, you can start selling tickets for big frosty favorite musician. Cause vanilla ice is coming to the triad and will be putting on a blockbuster. These dp/ wetbulb are just to low to argue otherwise. Throw in the meso high possibilities and regardless of loosing hp in the ne it's gonna be a big mess assuming qpf is up near 1 inch. I just hope we can get a few hours snow on the frontend, now that may end up being a stretch, but warning criteria ice is pretty apparent to me as of right now.

On top of ridiculous....after the coldest air of the season...becomes entrapped near the surface....you add the 12z dumper run with light frozen precip accums on the ground...then you want me to believe it's going to rain/potentially flood still?

Not happening. I expect Winter Storm Watches Saturday with a longer duration event than modeled.

I hope I can return my 5 loaves of bread and 3 gallons of milk ! :(

This is just the models normal " losing" it 3-4 days out! Will come roaring back Friday night runs!

I agree with both of you things will change. :santa:

I said it in banter, but I'll say it here. How many of you think a Low will actually plow direct into this in-situ wedge?

Well, all the models have trended the low to drive into NC so I'm going to guess yes...either that or the wedge is scoured out by the time the low gets there and so it can go wherever lows usually want to go. 

Archived