joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is substantially flatter with the wave.  Precip gets in quicker.  However, sfc high is sliding out quicker.  Not as much precip as 12z.  More of a moderate event instead of heavy.  End result is probably similar to 12z, though it's a better run in terms of moving away from the amped up solution.  Light amts of wintry precip in NE GA...more as you go NE into NC CAD regions.  Temps eventually warm above freezing all for except the NW piedmont and northern foothills.

Hey guys, I'm here in Amsterdam. Just moved over so been busy with that. Problem with the Euro and GFS tonight I see is both keep that low around the lakes longer. Hard to funnel real cold air in with that thing around, of course it could change. At least the GFS bombs out as it transfers to the coast. Not sure I'm feeling this one for anyone south of I-40 though. 

Euro is substantially flatter with the wave.  Precip gets in quicker.  However, sfc high is sliding out quicker.  Not as much precip as 12z.  More of a moderate event instead of heavy.  End result is probably similar to 12z, though it's a better run in terms of moving away from the amped up solution.  Light amts of wintry precip in NE GA...more as you go NE into NC CAD regions.  Temps eventually warm above freezing all for except the NW piedmont and northern foothills.

I wasn't sure I was looking at the same model there, looking at 500 mb.  So much flatter.

I think it's a good trend for us.  The flatter, the better to an extent.  Much better run here.  Starts out as snow then ice.  2ms are much colder than prior runs (which were mostly rain).

The Euro had a cutter to Ohio at 00z last night, so this thing is obviously still up in the air.

The GGEM and now the Euro (and I'd say probably the UKMET, as its setup is similar) are now showing a big snow/ice (mostly ice) storm for the CAD regions (depends on the model how deep the CAD pushes into SC/GA), and we're still 4-5 days out, so that's pretty impressive given how the models typically have trouble picking up on low-level cold this far out.

Maybe we'll end up with another big sleet storm here.  We may not be a snowtown, but in recent years we've definitely become a sleettown:pimp:

Looking at the finer details on WxBell, the Euro keeps temps right at freezing or below for pretty much the entire event from Burlington to Charlotte to Greenville, SC, then up into the foothills....looks reasonable given this airmass + that type of flat wave overrunning setup as opposed to the amped up version 

Total precip is 0.7 - 0.8 from Burlington to Charlotte to Greenville.  1 inch across the NC foothills

From HPC (126 AM)...

TREND IN RECENT WINTER STORMS HAS BEEN FARTHERNORTHWEST RATHER THAN SOUTHEAST BUT ANTECEDENT COLD AIR -- RECORDCOLD -- SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST SOME AFFECT IN LIMITING A FAR WESTERNTRACK WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS AS COLD AIR IS USUALLY SLOW TO EXIT-- SLOWER THAN WHAT THE MODELS PREDICT.
ICING THREAT REMAINS A STRONG POSSIBILITY IN THE SOUTHEAST WHERECOLD AIR IS RELUCTANT TO BE SCOURED OUT AS WARM ADVECTION PRECIPIS PULLED IN FROM THE SOUTH AND EAST

Starting to get a good consensus on a track through the central/southern part of the gulf states then through the central Carolina's.

There was a storm that came through in Feb of 2008. Anyone remember that? We had a retreating high and stayed mostly snow here till the end, ATL even picked up a surprise few inches before they changed.

Gsp disco

Long term /Monday through Wednesday/...

as of 405 am Thursday...guidance coming into better agreement

regarding the forecast of the storm system Monday and Tuesday.

But first...Sunday will be cold and dry as Arctic high pressure

settles in over the area. Highs will be near the normal lows for the

day with very cold wind chill values across the mountains in the

morning.

The guidance is trending toward a Miller a type system...but the

surface low is well inland with an I-20 to I-95 track. Moisture

spreads into the area late Sunday night and remains over the area

Monday and Monday night as the high moves east along the afore

mentioned track. With the very cold air in place at precipitation onset...

p-type should start out as snow. A warm nose develops as low level

warm advection takes place Monday as the low moves south of the

area. This will change the snow to rain south of I-85...and portions

of the SW NC mountains. That said...the surface temperatures could remain

near or below freezing north of I-85 and the warm nose could be

stronger and farther north. This would mean a transition to sleet

and freezing rain...changing mainly to rain south of I-85. Quantitative precipitation forecast could

be quite high creating the potential for significant accumulations

of a wintry mix before precipitation tapers off Tuesday as drier air

moves in behind the departing low pressure system. Will keep the severe weather potential statement

mention...but uncertainty remains and the forecast could change

significantly as the event approaches.

6z GFS looked much better.  Colder as the storm approached and the low was slightly weaker.  I have noticed over the past 24 hours that the extent of the cold air has been pushed further south just before the storm approaches on many of the models.  Hopefully that could mean that it will be more difficult to scour out.

guFzW1U.png

From HPC (126 AM)...

TREND IN RECENT WINTER STORMS HAS BEEN FARTHER
NORTHWEST RATHER THAN SOUTHEAST BUT ANTECEDENT COLD AIR -- RECORD
COLD -- SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST SOME AFFECT IN LIMITING A FAR WESTERN
TRACK WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS AS COLD AIR IS USUALLY SLOW TO EXIT
-- SLOWER THAN WHAT THE MODELS PREDICT.
ICING THREAT REMAINS A STRONG POSSIBILITY IN THE SOUTHEAST WHERE
COLD AIR IS RELUCTANT TO BE SCOURED OUT AS WARM ADVECTION PRECIP
IS PULLED IN FROM THE SOUTH AND EAST
overnight ensembles are making be believe this will trend slightly weaker. This is the hint the Euro ensembles gave us yesterday by washing out the storm signal in the means as we got closer.

Ukmet was a huge change from previous runs.

Looks like Cam QB'd the overnight PBP, cause it was a fail

I thought the overnight was good for upstate and ne ga. And I'd say another 48 hrs of model runs before things get ironed out. I'd say right now we are getting closer to a consensus on phasing or not and storm track. Don't expect the CAD depiction to be accurate for a couple more days and even then likely under done.

Also, I could see this starting as early as Sunday Evening given the soundings get saturated quick. There's the dry air to fight off at the surface but I'd expect this thing to either be quicker or wetter than its currently presenting at the beginning of the event.

Yep! Jan storm came in about 6 hrs ahead of schedule

Archived