wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm yes and a shift west is certainly among the myriad of possibilities... 

Just remember, as I am sure others have reasoned and mentioned in this thread - this last system teaches us that events can still shift dramatically enough in very short terms (relative to today's technological standard).  

I can easily envision a scenario where this particular system does just that.  Suppose the amplifying trough in the Midwest digs a bit more?  That would immediately translate to forcing the flow more south to north along and off-shore the East Coast, and up the coast she would come!  

I am not outright forecasting that - for one, my balls are only standard size.  heh.  The course of least regret is to go with the models, but just keep in mind that there are veracious reasons to watch.  Hell, we don't even know if the heights out over the Atlantic Basin are being handled well enough - that could correct things NW in its own rite.

It should at least snow some this week, though. Regardless of these pop-cycle headache considerations, that much cold heights with repeating wind maxes in the middle altitude flow under our latitude, quasi-norlun troughs should formulate and pivot periodically with bands of at least light snow.   

Mmm yes and a shift west is certainly among the myriad of possibilities... 

Just remember, as I am sure others have reasoned and mentioned in this thread - this last system teaches us that events can still shift dramatically enough in very short terms (relative to today's technological standard).  

I can easily envision a scenario where this particular system does just that.  Suppose the amplifying trough in the Midwest digs a bit more?  That would immediately translate to forcing the flow more south to north along and off-shore the East Coast, and up the coast she would come!  

I am not outright forecasting that - for one, my balls are only standard size.  heh.  The course of least regret is to go with the models, but just keep in mind that there are veracious reasons to watch.  Hell, we don't even know if the heights out over the Atlantic Basin are being handled well enough - that could correct things NW in its own rite.

It should at least snow some this week, though. Regardless of these pop-cycle headache considerations, that much cold heights with repeating wind maxes in the middle altitude flow under our latitude, quasi-norlun troughs should formulate and pivot periodically with bands of at least light snow.   

And that was what the models were showing earlier in the week, That and the higher heights out west which in turn had this coming more north and west, The WAR certainly played a part in yesterdays system

And that was what the models were showing earlier in the week, That and the higher heights out west which in turn had this coming more north and west, The WAR certainly played a part in yesterdays system

One thing that winter appeal seekers may like ... the high in eastern Canada is stubborn.  It's locked in there thru mid-week or even Thurs.   There is a long ....long ENE fetch likely to persist after ...whatever happens late Monday has moved on ..., doing so in a freezing column.   

In terms of enabling (haha) your psyches inside a protective bubble, there you go - 

Holy christ? Really?

Not nearly as bad here, but it's the same reason you see me complaining about qpf--the last couple years have not been kind to BOX's western zones, both in actuality and relatively speaking.

Shift this 150 mi west and we would have a lot of happy folks

attachicon.gifPT_PN_060_0000.gif

If I had a dollar for every time I thought that, I'd be a rich man with lots of snow.  Alas, I'm neither.

Increasing sun angle showing up now.  The roads which earlier would retain their snow cover for day/weeks after a storm have melted much of it already.

Link? I think it's been pretty stellar actually..the best in the medium range....still the king.

This is a setup I wouldn't trust any guidance. Only reasonably confident that this won't produce a whopper storm. But the details of all these vort lobes and such will probably take another couple cycles to be resolved...even longer than that for some of the later stuff around D5.

You can't really latch on to one solution or another quite yet, But a big storm seems less likely

Yeah unless there's a big change (not impossible but unlikely), this is a question of a protracted 1-2" event or perhaps a 4-8" event where someone get lucky with a higher amount.

The Friday system was a completely different synoptic setup than the upcoming period.  There is no reason to think that a modeling error in the run up to Friday has any bearing on the likelihood of a similar modeling error being exposed this weekend.

I'm not ruling out anything.  I just don't see a lot of positive wiggle room here.  Any model shift would be a good shift IMO.  Because the status quo is undesirable.  The bigger the shift, the better.

Archived