• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

Yes a tick, but noise level. It had been pretty consistent. Compare the last 5 runs, no west trend but pretty steady.

It's still the NAM. If that southern streamer was the only player on the field maybe I'd give it more confidence like the bomb 2 weeks ago...but the following digging trough starts to have an influence on it later on in the run. Heck, maybe it'll trend closer, but it's still the NAM. Let's not forget that.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still the NAM. If that southern streamer was the only player on the field maybe I'd give it more confidence like the bomb 2 weeks ago...but the following digging trough starts to have an influence on it later on in the run. Heck, maybe it'll trend closer, but it's still the NAM. Let's not forget that.

The southern streamer will need to make the jump NW today.  Otherwise, it's a light event off the Cape at best.  

Seriously, people should look at the 850mb temp charts.  Too much obsession with SLP numbers and the high amplitude trof.  We're missing a key ingredient that is usually associated with those first two things creating monster storms.

the monster storm idea is gone, expect maybe far se zones for monday. rest of us, we just looking to remain with the decent signal to mood snow us to several inches. 

Seriously, people should look at the 850mb temp charts.  Too much obsession with SLP numbers and the high amplitude trof.  We're missing a key ingredient that is usually associated with those first two things creating monster storms.

You seem to be the only one talking about monster storms impacting us.

For Albany? Agreed. Still wouldn't sleep on the coastal the farther southeast you are.

Of course not if you live in SEMA.  It's very possible they could get brushed by a feeder band, which could bring potentially several tenths of QPF.  But the low itself will likely remain far offshore.  So a big hit is unlikely.  You gotta recognize which threats could make big guidance shifts, and which have less room to evolve.

I'm not interpreting models based on where I live.  I was optimistic about yesterday's snow even before it was modeled to scape the Cape.

Of course not if you live in SEMA. It's very possible they could get brushed by a feeder band, which could bring potentially several tenths of QPF. But the low itself will likely remain far offshore. So a big hit is unlikely. You gotta recognize which threats could make big guidance shifts, and which have less room to evolve.

I'm not interpreting models based on where I live. I was optimistic about yesterday's snow even before it was modeled to scape the Cape.

It's being modeled to have a strong area of deformation well away from the center of circulation.

Yes a tick, but noise level. It had been pretty consistent. Compare the last 5 runs, no west trend but pretty steady.

Unless you want to be grazed, steady's no good here.  By 24 hours you need the mid-level low over coastal SC, not northern FL.  You need a massive negative tilt developing with heights pumping up the east coast, not the trof structure being pinched off from the upstream wave.

Unless you want to be grazed, steady's no good here. By 24 hours you need the mid-level low over coastal SC, not northern FL. You need a massive negative tilt developing with heights pumping up the east coast, not the trof structure being pinched off from the upstream wave.

Yes...I'm tracking what I believe will be a graze. What are you doing?

the monster storm idea is gone, expect maybe far se zones for monday. rest of us, we just looking to remain with the decent signal to mood snow us to several inches. 

I'm not looking for a monster storm.  I'm just saying that the reason people are even looking at this upcoming period with any anticipation is because they tend to associate the obvious features such as high amplitude neg. tilted trof and deep SLP with big snowstorms.  But those features don't cause snow, they are just often associated with the mechanisms that do

I am just looking for a warning level event and that is all. It doesn't have to be a KU. The ski areas are in need of a KU or at least a solid hit to save the day. Of course that just isn't in the card. Snow showers are not going to get the job done. 

Yeah the monster storm idea has been really on the fringes for the past few days.

A moderate event is really the threat. There are still a few ways that could happen.

Been discussed pretty well in the other thread that this has gone away from a monster as you said over the last few days, That first s/w is just in the right position right now to screw up the second s/w from developing off the coast and coming north with at least a modest event

You seem to be the only one talking about monster storms impacting us.

Your reading comprehension is subpar. 

The collective ability of this sub forum to sniff out snow threats has been dreadful for the past few weeks.  Often hyping the long shots and downplaying the legit storms.  I interpret it as a combination of being massively spoiled in recent winters and many not having more than a few years of model watching experience under their belts.

A low center could track right over LI, but it lacks the necessary temp. gradients to generate precip. It's relying on upper level divergence and unstable air aloft. It doesn't matter so much where the low center tracks.

Look at the 850mb charts and see how the Mon. ocean storm creates a huge yin yang of warmer air wrapping NW and colder air wrapping SE. That helps generate lift and precipitation wrapping well NW of the low. But then compare that to the follow up low center and notice how there's a putrid temp gradient to feed off and meager QPF.

Im referring to the potential of Mondays storm.

Im not that excited about Tues Eve potential thou there is certainly some.

NW New England and upstate NY Have much less potential here.

I am just looking for a warning level event and that is all. It doesn't have to be a KU. The ski areas are in need of a KU or at least a solid hit to save the day. Of course that just isn't in the card. Snow showers are not going to get the job done. 

ALB is 357 days since their last 2" snowstorm.  That's the mark I'm aiming for.

I don't think we can do it in a single day though.  Maybe over a few days.

Annual seasonal snowfall is going to take a hit in ENY the next time averages are compiled.  ALB average annual snowfall is pretty comparable with most of SNE away from the coast and out of the higher terrain.  Where I am in the hills averages mores now than all of SNE outside of the high Berkshires.

Your reading comprehension is subpar.

The collective ability of this sub forum to sniff out snow threats has been dreadful for the past few weeks. Often hyping the long shots and downplaying the legit storms. I interpret it as a combination of being massively spoiled in recent winters and many not having more than a few years of model watching experience under their belts.

Go melt in a different thread then.

Archived