joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in Richmond I remember a March that had snow first day of Spring break. It would have been second week of March. It was cold enough for snowsnow to stay for 5 days. Awesome sledding. I know 1980 was a banner year. Maybe that was when? I dunno. Just came to mind

March1/2/1980 10.8 inches of snow. What I remember about that week was in warmed into upper 30's and 40's during the days but several nights of the week were in single digits, OK, here are numbers-

3/1/80- 0.5 snow H 27 L 10

3/2/80- 10.3 snow H 28 L 9

3/3/80- H 36 L 3

3/4/80- H 40 L 5

3/5/80- H 49 L 27

Then it snowed another 4.5 on the 13 and 14th, but it melted in a couple days as highs went into mid/upper 50's. Had 15.3 snowfall for the month.

Depending on March snow is the equivalent to depending on Tony Romo in a big-game.  Good luck with that.  For every sucess, there is 100 heart-breaks.

March is spring around here.  If we couldn't pull off an event in Februrary, there is next to no chance we are going to do so in March.

If we get a ninja event that's in at 8:00 pm and out by 10:00 am the next morning we can still score.  Won't do anything for snow cover, but it'll be something white falling from the sky.  But agree with you that from here on out it gets more difficult with each day.

Here-

2015 6.1

2014 8.6

2013 12.2

2012 4.5

I'd have to go back and check numbers.  2012 was awful here, but my numbers for the past three years probably easily surpass those.  2013 was over 20".  That one I remember for certain.  I think 2015 was around 10".  2014 had some snow, I think we had close to 8" on St. Paddy's but I won't swear to that number.

Depending on March snow is the equivalent to depending on Tony Romo in a big-game.  Good luck with that.  For every sucess, there is 100 heart-breaks.

March is spring around here.  If we couldn't pull off an event in Februrary, there is next to no chance we are going to do so in March.

We can get legit cold and snow in March, as the last 2 winters have demonstrated. The problem is this winter is nothing like the last 2, so pointing to that as a reason to be optimistic about the upcoming month is very flawed. One should expect a continuation of what we have seen, but with the additional problem of climo quickly warming as we head towards Spring..

the best crabs are west coast crabs.

whole blue crabs are more of a social thing than culinary. too much work for a tiny amount of meat and really just an excuse to drink a lot of beer. anybody who drinks craft beer with blue crabs is not doing it right. it's gotta be some cheap ass mass produced brew.

way to go for blue crab is to get the freshest Maryland lump available, encircle it with a cooking ring, and broil with butter and lemon for a few minutes. no bread crumbs or other filler. enjoy each bite and reflect on your first world problems and irritations as you sip on a crisp sparkling wine

for those that dislike tilapia, try tilapia loins. it's a substantial portion of tilapia that looks or tastes nothing like tilapia, which is the point because tilapia isn't that delicious

lobster in general is overrated but a cold water lobster that is not overlooked, as most dining establishments do thus ruining it, can be good in the right setting. the best lobster experience is getting it from a shack or dive in Maine, say Portland.

stone crab claws are pretty good, but also a bit overrated and way too expensive almost everywhere

no love in here for smoking. bbq oysters > raw any day. plus it's getting more and more risky to eat raw shellfish as bodies of water continue to warm and pollution increases

all the fish and sea critters will eventually be eaten by all the hungry people and larger fishes, so the sooner you get used to stir fried jellyfish the better

Because it's late February. We don't do severe well in February (or May).

You don't do +12 inch snowstorms well down there either, but you guys still follow every snow threat in hopes of it bringing a foot each time, so why not severe threat?

To bad we suck at that worse then snow lol. I hate this stretch of climo coming up. We pretty much suck at everything for the next 2 months. Maybe we can get a Maga nino coastal mauler or something.

Well fortunately I'm not looking for a tornado to hit my house.

We will if it looks decent much closer in. We don't tend to do threads for severe much more than a day out.

Also, in our defense 12 foot snowstorms are REALLY hard to get...

Lol, typo. But I'm sure you guys'll still root for it. ;)

What is this, a fish forum? Why on earth is no one talking about the fact that half of this forum is in a 5% risk for severe storms Wednesday, in LATE FEB?

You don't do +12 foot snowstorms well down there either, but you guys still follow every snow threat in hopes of it bringing a foot each time, so why not severe threat?

What this IS is the MID ATLANTIC SUBFORUM.

Thanks for dropping by with the critique and the wisdom.  We will be ok though.  We'll give ya a shout if we need anything.

Ok, weenie.  You run along and tell your fellow NYC posters about how we're down here chasing unicorns while you're up there...chasing...the same thing.   oh, lol.  

What? I'm not even a snow weenie, have you seen my posts? And besides, the NYC forum gets pretty boring eventually, so sometimes I roam the forums as a nomad.

Archived