joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those into smoking, or who would like to be, I just can't say enough good things about the Pit Barrel Cooker (a type of ugly drum cooker).

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Great consistency, easy to use, inexpensive, and can do a substantial volume (8 racks of ribs, 4 whole chickens, etc.). It also seems to cook faster than my Weber Smokey Mountain - I can do a whole brisket in 6-8 hours, vs 10-16 - and I don't have to spend as much time futzing with the air intake to control the internal temp.

Did three racks of ribs and two whole chickens yesterday.

You have to buy in bulk.  I buy a half a cow at a time from a butcher in PA.  Last time around it cost me less than $3/lb for all cuts of meat, portioned and vacuum packed.  You usually can't find any type of beef for less than $3/lb at a store, none the less t-bones.

^^^ This. Only beef I've purchased in last 20 years, do a half a year. Guy raises them no hormones, grass and grain fed....I know what I'm getting.

True weather geek. So, your enjoying a peaceful day trout fishing. You hear thunder, get all excited, break out your phone and report it on the Internet. Nice.. thunder makes all outdoor activities more fun lol.

Except perhaps softball.  Makes one a little nervous to be out there on an open field with aluminum bats nearby (or in hand).  Usually, one crack of thunder during a game and everyone scatters!

Catch my own crabs on the Choptank and go down 2 to 3 times a month from June to the end of October. Can't wait to get back out there. 60s yesterday have me itching for Spring. I agree with Chill about lump charcoal. Last fall bought a small tabletop weber and lump charcoal and have never used my propane grill since. Ready to do some steaming and grilling so I'm rooting for an early Spring. Crabs steamed with 2 parts JO,1 part Old Bay mix, cider vinegar and Sam Adams for steaming liquid. Will be saving the propane tanks for the crab steamer outside this summer. Bring on Spring, unless of course the models show a KU.

Any sort of bottom dwelling food is no bueno.

One should certainly limit the intake. Blue crabs are high in protein, B12, magnesium, and low in fat. Moderate cholesterol. The river crabs over here are going to have way less heavy metals and other toxic crap. Wye and Miles are the best. Really sweet. I mean, lots of people actually eat tilapia, a slimy, nasty, pure garbage, bottom feeder farm raised fish. Now that is disgusting eats.

Farm raised fish is gross. I don't touch it with the exception of stocked trout. At least I caught it myself.

Shellfish is different. Aquaculture is still done in a wild environment except for shrimp. I can eat piles of raw oysters but totally get the love/hate attitude with that. Oysters are a perfect protein. It takes about the same amount of calories to digest them as they provide. Loaded with vitamins too.

Farm raised fish is gross. I don't touch it with the exception of stocked trout. At least I caught it myself.

Shellfish is different. Aquaculture is still done in a wild environment except for shrimp. I can eat piles of raw oysters but totally get the love/hate attitude with that. Oysters are a perfect protein. It takes about the same amount of calories to digest them as they provide. Loaded with vitamins too.

Completely agree. Shrimp I steer away from in general, as its mostly farm raised and you just dont wanna know what they are wallowing in and consuming. I never got the popularity of tilapia. Its the worst, and I have never even eaten it. I just know. It has that smell and texture of a slimy bottom feeder, and its farm raised. I would gag.

I don't eat farm raised fish. All of this spring talk motivated me to pull out my stash of home picked Choptank River crab meat a make crab cakes. Nothing as sweet as October Choptank crab meat!

The only thing sweeter is Wye River crab meat in October. Eastern Bay is pretty good too ;). Looks good, buddy. I want bbq and crabs now lol.

Am I the only one who goes back and reads the threads before the January storm? God what I would do to go back and have that feeling of excitement back. Staying up until 2 am every night to see the runs. Hope I can get that one more time in my life. Oh well March 1-3 please deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived