joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rye is better. Makers is a bit strong in flavor and is good to stand alone. But don't pass it up if offered. I didn't use a twist but went rogue with a cherry.

Might just have to try that sometime....!

There was a place in Atlanta (lived there back in the mid 90s to 2001 before moving here, during graduate school and just beyond) that made good martinis.  A friend of mine and I used to go there somewhat regularly to get one (or three).  It's there that I discovered what a Manhattan was, much to my good fortune!  I remember thinking "now this is some good f*ing stuff!!"  For anyone familiar with Atlanta, it was in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, the bar/restaurant was called the Highland Tap.  Not sure if it's still in existence, but it was a nice place and also had good food...it was down in the basement of this building.

Seems like more butt hurt and model blaming than usual around here. Weenies need to stop looking at op run snow maps and invest more time examining synoptic patterns.

Models don't create weather so I don't know why anyone would blame them. The synoptic patterns you are talking about are modeled patterns though. They don't exist yet.

Seems like more butt hurt and model blaming than usual around here. Weenies need to stop looking at op run snow maps and invest more time examining synoptic patterns.

The models never screamed snow for this event.  Even at their snowiest look, an equal number of ensmelbe had a crappy inland track with a pattern that was not really good for snow.  We needed to thread the needle and get lucky when there is not much cold air to work with and no high to our north.  

Models don't create weather so I don't know why anyone would blame them. The synoptic patterns you are talking about are modeled patterns though. They don't exist yet.

Me neither, but there were a few posts in the LR thread this morning... :baby:

As for the patterns. the ensembles are pretty darn good at getting the general features correct in advance. For example, the giant WAR has been persistent, and will still be there next week.  Persistent ridging in the west. There is no sustained blocking. There is going to be a deep vortex in Northern Canada. Overall that is not a favorable pattern for cold air delivery and a good storm track. It could happen, and some op runs have suggested it(despite very marginal temps) but a hella lot would need to go right, plus more luck than usual.

The models never screamed snow for this event.  Even at their snowiest look, an equal number of ensmelbe had a crappy inland track with a pattern that was not really good for snow.  We needed to thread the needle and get lucky when there is not much cold air to work with and no high to our north.  

Exactly. 

I had the privilege of drinking some outstanding IPAs over the last week.

In Boston visiting family and was able to find two Maine Beer Company Lunch's, and they were as good as advertised.

Last night a friend gave me a Carton Brewing 077XX Double IPA and that was on par with the Heady Toppers and Lunches of the world as well.

Instaling a new storm door on the front of the house -- I got an Anderson last year for the back but we're going to Lowe's for this one, which carry Larson and Pella brand.  Anyone have experience with either brand and would recommend one over the other?

I've had both.  Don't remember any trouble with either.  Just make sure to ask about warranties on the hardware.  A quality door will offer lifetime warranties on the door-hardware finish.  I've found that to be the biggest issue with doors.  Low-quality hardware will oxidize over time and look like crap.  Depending on sun exposure, you may want to think about low e glass.  IF you have a lot of sun exposure, especially low-angle exposure, don't forget to consider the color of your entry door.  Dark colors can turn the space between the doors into an oven.  With non-vented storm doors, I've seen this cause paint-bubbling and even warpage of the entry door.

I hope people shut down their computers and get outside today.

+1

Was already out there cleaning up a pile of branches from the upper third of a dead standing tree that fell off during our wind driven spring deluge earlier in the week. Get the cars washed...at least the road salt is mostly gone from that heavy rain.

Archived