joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, I was offered a phone interview with a really respected organization on Friday and I'm honestly bricking it already. It's been nearly ten years since I've had an interview, so I'm so out of practice. Eek!

I also have a lunch meeting with another company next week. Fantastic small business doing some really interesting work, but I'm not nearly as nervous about that. Probably because it's a much more relaxed and less formal process.

Maybe I need a job making government cheese...

Good luck with the interviews. Why in the world would you want to take a pay cut in gov?

Unless you're really in it for the snow days.

Thanks!

Given the state of contracting nowadays, moving to GS may actually be a step up in pay. Plus there's the stability and excellent benefits. It's just not that easy to make that move from private to government.

Snow days help. :lol:

That said, there are some great companies/organizations out there that still treat their employees well. Both of my current opportunities are with places like that, which might be why I'm feeling a little wobbly! :lol:

Thanks!

Given the state of contracting nowadays, moving to GS may actually be a step up in pay. Plus there's the stability and excellent benefits. It's just not that easy to make that move from private to government.

Snow days help. :lol:

That said, there are some great companies/organizations out there that still treat their employees well. Both of my current opportunities are with places like that, which might be why I'm feeling a little wobbly! :lol:

Good luck with the interviews.  I've been on both sides of it (private sector (with two diff. companies) and a few years with the Government).  I went back into the private sector a few years ago.  Certainly pros and cons to both of them - its all about weighing your options and determining where you fit the best, whats best for your career, and what also makes the most financial sense.  

Someone else said it perfectly about a different storm. If tonight's runs bust, the Potomac "will be running red with the blood from all the Weenies jumping from the Arlington Memorial Bridge". Myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a man

and I can deal with

model variations a week out without going overboard

if I have to

I guess

(Reference:  The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show)

Good luck with the interviews. I've been on both sides of it (private sector (with two diff. companies) and a few years with the Government). I went back into the private sector a few years ago. Certainly pros and cons to both of them - its all about weighing your options and determining where you fit the best, whats best for your career, and what also makes the most financial sense.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.

I agree that there are benefits to both, but I don't honestly don't have any GS prospects right now, and since I'm already in the private contracting world, it only makes sense to stick to it right now. But like I said, both opportunities are fantastic ones, and I honestly don't think it's a case of the grass being greener, especially since the prospects for the follow-on contract coming up are less green and more mud. ;)

Sounds like you've had a great perspective on both sides. It's a strange world...government and its associated contractors. We're in a cycle now in which the government is being incredibly short-sighted in how it develops RFPs and awards contracts, and I have no doubt that the pendulum will swing the other way within the next decade. It's just that us poor souls are on the roller coaster with barely a seatbelt to be found. Exhilarating ride, but always a bumpy turn from being out on your ass! :lol:

Someone else said it perfectly about a different storm. If tonight's runs bust, the Potomac "will be running red with the blood from all the Weenies jumping from the Arlington Memorial Bridge". Myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47849-pd3attempt13since2003-tracking-the-threat-of-the-presidents-day-storm-feb-15-16-2016/?view=findpost&p=3975310

;)

I did a 6 year stint of financial services contracting for the SBA, HUD, and CMS. I had opportunities for permanent positions with the SBA and HUD. I turned them both down.

I've had some regrets. When the financial crisis hit, my mortgage company was destroyed while some close friends who opted for the Government direction never missed a beat. Government positions are not at safe as they used to be they are definitely anchored with concrete in comparison to what can happen in the contracting and private sector.

Years later I'm pretty happy where I am now but I still wonder where I would be had I chose the public route. There is no right or wrong answer though. I personally don't fit into the public employment atmosphere. It's not my style but there are many positives for those who succeed there.

My post offers mattie no advice. Lol.

I love the public service aspect of gov. We get s**t on a lot, but it's still worth it most of the time.

I'm young and dumb enough to not care about money right now, and as a result I just do what I can to make things better. It's an amazing feeling when you know you've helped a person who had no other place to turn.

I could have made a money run after law school but I had no interest fighting to win rich people more money and power.

Maybe that's changing a bit as I start to think about settling down, but for now it's fun being at the center of the action. Next few weeks/months are going to be huge (or not) because of recent events.

I did it the other way around (started in the private sector then jumped to government).  I never thought I'd leave my private sector job but now, 7 years in, I am super pleased with my choice.  The opportunity to have a tangible, positive impact on peoples' lives and (effective use of) taxpayer dollars is a greater reward than managing to profit & loss and shareholder value.  For me, anyways.

Archived