• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

H2O

I shoveled 36 inches a few weeks ago. That is my bar. :P It was a great storm and I am grateful to have experienced it. Two inches tomorrow followed by rain is just bleh. Oh well.

You will saddle up to the window all day staring at the memorizing graceful flight of millions of heavenly dendrites finding their resting place in your yard.

As the scene changes from a dusting to a coating to a visually attractive accumulation on your property you will smile and feel the satisfaction of another winter gift from the skies.

When the flip to rain happens you will quietly draw the shades and sit back and rerun the new cache of beautiful winter images filling your brain.

Then you will look at every piece of guidance no matter how unreliable it is in an attempt to find the next chance to do it all over again.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is really new here. Forecasting is argumentative. Friends will argue over a forecast if they have differences of opinion. Some of us  (myslef included) probably take it a little too seriously.

Nothing is really new here. Forecasting is argumentative. Friends will argue over a forecast if they have differences of opinion. Some of us (myslef included) probably take it a little too seriously.

I just like picking your scabs sometimes...I'm always playing around...I'm sure it can be irritating...i apologize...happy valentines day

Have an a flight scheduled to land at BWI around 1220 tomorrow afternoon. How well does BWI do with snow removal? Any chance my flight won't be delayed?

These amounts of snow aren't a huge deal. Probably delays to account for deicing.

I have a flight tuesday morning and am.worried about the winds. Can't stand turbulence on takeoff.

No we had the grand handwringing about the 970 in Ohio vslley moving due north but that was three days ago and you sort of hide under the unretrievablility and have a hissy

Wtf are you talking about you lying sack?

I so want to call out the people who were hugging the Canadian because it was 'steady'... lololol. Model regurgitation is the new forecasting.

Modeling is sick these days. I'm not sure everyone realizes how good it is. The Euro is close to making a lot of people  unemployed.

:huh:  Moving these comments to banter...

As far as I can remember, nobody on this forum was hugging the Canadian.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  But hugging the Euro would have been a bad call also.  Remember that just three days ago the Euro was showing an amped rainstorm with basically no snow for the cities.  At the time, other models were showing a good front-end thump.  Just two days ago, the Euro had about an inch of snow for DC.  Now it's fully on board with the front-end thump. 

Don't get me wrong -- the Euro has been the best model on this storm and many others, but it's almost always best to take the models as an ensemble, and this storm was no exception.  The Euro has gradually shifted in the direction of the other guidance towards the weaker, snowier solution for our area. 

In the years I've been observing this forum, I'd say model hugging might be the leading cause for busted forecasts -- but those forecasters are usually not hugging the Canadian.  ;)

In that mess of a storm thread this afternoon, I think mappy might have had the best comment.

Pretty sure no one has a clue which model is correct. Nor should anyone be thumping their chest over any one model. Unless I slept through the event and it's over, which is possible... I did drink a lot of wine last night.

And besides, it's Valentine's Day, so maybe we should expect more model hugging than usual.

Archived