joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which, I just saw a guy go by on the bike trail. That's either dedication or insanity.

Hm...there's a hardy bike-riding poster here who reports riding in all weather...yesterday I half expected him to post he'd traversed the district from one end to the other, sleet hammering his helmet, bike encased in ice, and it was totally awesome and not bad at all.

I was looking at DCA annual snowfall history this morning and realized the Jan blizzard exceeds 22 out of the last 27 annual totals at DCA. That's impressive and sad at the same time. 

But this winter sucks. Didn't you get the memo?

Nope. I'm right at climo for the year, that is three in a row at or above. Yes, the first 45 days or so were EXTREMELY trashy, but since Jan 15 or so winter has been OK in my book.

I was 'trolling'... I was on the winter is good bus after the HECS. That's enough for me. BUT I would say the general populace probably considers this a somewhat intense DC area winter at this point. I don't think that many outside this forum and similar will remember December too much in the future.

I was 'trolling'... I was on the winter is good bus after the HECS. That's enough for me. BUT I would say the general populace probably considers this a somewhat intense DC area winter at this point. I don't think that many outside this forum and similar will remember December too much in the future.

Agreed. Anytime you start hearing the "here we go again" type phrasing from the news anchors, you know that the general public is ready for the snow threats to stop. The number of disrupted days (school closings, government closings, etc.) has already been well above average. 

Agreed. Anytime you start hearing the "here we go again" type phrasing from the news anchors, you know that the general public is ready for the snow threats to stop. The number of disrupted days (school closings, government closings, etc.) has already been well above average. 

Back up to 'severe' levels on the Midwestern Regional Climate Center ranking. Highest in the eastern US. Hard to complain too heavily if you're a winter fan given what we were facing going in. Certainly will cause some different forecasts next super nino. :P

fqSR5Nh.gif

http://mrcc.isws.illinois.edu/research/awssi/indexAwssi.jsp

Back up to 'severe' levels on the Midwestern Regional Climate Center ranking. Highest in the eastern US. Hard to complain too heavily if you're a winter fan given what we were facing going in. Certainly will cause some different forecasts next super nino. :P

fqSR5Nh.gif

What an interesting measure. I'm liking these attempts (NESIS, etc) to relate climate/weather with societal impacts.

fqSR5Nh.gif

That's a neat index. I wonder where 09-10 ranks

Thing is, we really haven't had many snow threats this year that were very appreciable compared to the past two years.  The blizzard being the obvious elephant in the room (a good elephant, at that, hahaha!), was extremely high impact of course.  Almost all the school closings (going by MoCo here) were the Friday the blizzard hit on through the next week (that Monday, interestingly, was already a no school/teacher day since the quarter had just ended).  Mostly due to still plowing and digging out in the more remote areas.  Today was a day off too, probably because there was still ice into the early morning and they played it safe (and I cannot really blame them).  Last Tuesday, there was a 2 hour delay as I recall.  The gov't had two snow days right after the blizzard, an early closure the Friday it started, and 3 hour delay/unscheduled leave/optional telework the remainder of that week after it ended.  There were a couple of other delays/optional leave/telework days in there too, including today and last Tuesday.

ETA:  I'm sure the traffic/road fiasco from that light snowfall the Wednesday evening before the blizzard jaded a lot of people, too.

Thing is, we really haven't had many snow threats this year that were very appreciable compared to the past two years. The blizzard being the obvious elephant in the room (a good elephant, at that, hahaha!), was extremely high impact of course. Almost all the school closings (going by MoCo here) were the Friday the blizzard hit on through the next week (that Monday, interestingly, was already a no school/teacher day since the quarter had just ended). Mostly due to still plowing and digging out in the more remote areas. Today was a day off too, probably because there was still ice into the early morning and they played it safe (and I cannot really blame them). Last Tuesday, there was a 2 hour delay as I recall. The gov't had two snow days right after the blizzard, an early closure the Friday it started, and 3 hour delay/unscheduled leave/optional telework the remainder of that week after it ended. There were a couple of other delays/optional leave/telework days in there too, including today and last Tuesday.

ETA: I'm sure the traffic/road fiasco from that light snowfall the Wednesday evening before the blizzard jaded a lot of people, too.

Including the Monday professional day (that the teachers got off), this January's blizzard actually caused the most consecutive days off since at least 1979 for Montgomery County Public Schools. Six consecutive days off beats 2/79, 1/87, 1/94, 1/96, 2/03, and 2/10-- the other week-long closing situations. Of course 1/87, 1/94, 1/96, and 2/10 had help beyond the first event. 1/87 also crossed a weekend like 1/16. 2/03 ended on Tuesday with the trailing upper low snow and 2/79 ended on PD Monday. So for 1/16 to cause this single-handedly, ending on a Saturday, speaks to what a high-end impact it had. 2/10 had an early dismissal on the previous Friday.

As for federal government shutdown back to 1979, 2/10 wins on consecutive days with 4 days in a row. 1/96 had 4 days closed that week, but it was Monday through Wednesday and then Friday.

I drove around tonight. We have 55 percent areal coverage of snow. The snow ranges in depth for 1 to 3 inches. More plowed snow has been added to existing snow piles that date back to GB 16.

It looks wonderful outside. I am absolutely delighted with this past storm and with this winter overall. I dont have to look far to find snow. Many plowed snow piles are even bigger because of Monday's storm.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that today's heavy rain plus 51 degree temps did not completely obliterate all the snow.

I drove around tonight. We have 55 percent areal coverage of snow. The snow ranges in depth for 1 to 3 inches. More plowed snow has been added to existing snow piles that date back to GB 16.

It looks wonderful outside. I am absolutely delighted with this past storm and with this winter overall. I dont have to look far to find snow. Many plowed snow piles are even bigger because of Monday's storm.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that today's heavy rain plus 51 degree temps did not completely obliterate all the snow.

That is nice.  I figured you may have lost more than that.  Yesterday was torch city here.  I lost quite a bit.  Backyard is still mostly covered by a few inches though.  Not sure how much that will be left by the weekend - probably none.

Archived