joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS has a similar track as the 12z and is really warm; however, the 18z GEFS made a big shift south/east

The new GEFS is aligned well with the EPS and canadian ensembles.

Nice.  Having all 3 of those ensembles showing a coastal solution is a great positive sign at this long lead I think.  

But the big 3 posting index of Wow, Burger, and Grit are nonexistent therefore this storm I'm afraid is doomed to fail....the WBG index is extremely negative.... :maprain:

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK 

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0315 AM CST WED FEB 17 2016

VALID 201200Z - 251200Z

...DISCUSSION...

A QUASI-ZONAL...LOW-AMPLITUDE UPPER PATTERN ON DAY 4/SATURDAY WILL

SLOWLY BE REPLACED BY A BROAD CYCLONIC UPPER FLOW REGIME AS A

SHORTWAVE TROUGH MOVES EAST/SOUTHEAST FROM THE NORTHERN ROCKIES TO

THE OHIO VALLEY BY DAY5/SUNDAY EVENING. THIS DEVELOPING TROUGH EAST

OF THE ROCKIES WILL DEEPEN AND SHIFT EAST FROM THE PLAINS TO THE

ATLANTIC COAST THROUGH THE END OF THE PERIOD. AS A

RESULT...INCREASING THUNDERSTORM CHANCES WILL SPREAD ACROSS PARTS OF

THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND GULF COAST STATES BEGINNING AS EARLY AS DAY

5/SUNDAY. THUNDERSTORM CHANCES WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE GULF COAST

STATES AND SHIFT EAST/NORTHEAST TOWARD THE MID-ATLANTIC THROUGH DAY

7/TUESDAY AS A DEVELOPING SURFACE LOW IN THE VICINITY OF THE

NORTHERN GULF COAST INTENSIFIES...AND LIFTS NORTHEAST TOWARD COASTAL

SC/NC. CONFIDENCE IN SEVERE POTENTIAL IS LOW AT THIS TIME DUE TO

DIFFERENCES AMONGST VARIOUS MEDIUM-RANGE GUIDANCE IN SURFACE LOW

STRENGTH AND LOCATION IN THE DAY 6/7 TIME FRAME. HOWEVER...TRENDS

FOR THIS SYSTEM WILL BE MONITORED CLOSELY IN COMING DAYS.

..LEITMAN.. 02/17/2016

Severe Weather? Say It Isn’t So!

As long as that lakes low is there we can forget about a snow storm. Maybe some mixed trash, but that's it.

That lakes low is only there on the OP GFS and does not have ensemble support. That's not going to be why this storm doesn't happen, IMO. High pressure will dominate that area, we just may not have it far enough south to cash in.

Euro keeps the snow in VA and parts of TN. Similar to GFS. Big takeaway is the 850 0C line is way north. I doubt that changes much between now and Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

850 line is track dependent and the the favored track is OTS, not what the GFS shows. Still having big changes with high strength on the Euro through 5 days. This one isn't dead yet...it may be injured, but it's not dead. CAD regions still in game...if some highs can trend a bit stronger and the storm can speed up a tad, Central NC would be in game. I'm not claiming to be optimistic about this storm (if I were to go to Vegas, I'd go all rain), but it's going to change a lot between now and Wednesday.

I really think we will have a chance after this one around the end of the month or first few days of March, so not all is lost, yet!

Poor guy on TWC just showed the Euro, then mentioned the ensembles take a track NW of the op, 95% of the time!? So the gist , we are already out of the snow now, so the NW trend would fully put everyone out, except maybe the mountains!

Good to be out 5 days from the event, no lost sleep!

Ensembles take a track NW of the op?

That's what he said this morning. Think it was Greg Postel? Showed the track of the Euro op, showed some various shaded areas of the ensemble tracks and said the track would be NW of the op

That's not true at all. ECMWF Ensemble mean had the low in the gulf at 144, and off Cape Hatteras at 168.

post-13288-0-18580400-1455797687_thumb.g

For that matter, the GFS Ensembles and GGEM ensembles all have a very similar track (the GFS is a tad west and the GGEM a tad east). IMO, this is very impressive to see such good consensus among ensemble members even when the operational models are so different, and makes me suspicious of the operationals being wrong.

I can't show WeatherBell maps but the EPS mean takes the surface low across the northern Gulf across the Florida Panhandle to the coast of Georgia then northeast over the Carolina Coast. However, spread is all over the place so I would take that mean with a huge grain of salt. Probably a lot of Apps and inland runners and Miller Bs in there as well.

The Euro ensemble mean had the center of the surface low right over Savannah and more clustered at that location than than previous runs. Almost a perfect track. I'd show you the low pressure locations of the ensemble members but I can't here. Go here

Do temps look borderline, and we are just going by the perfect track ?

Archived