Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are LOTS of waves in the northern branch on the 12z Euro.  The trough never went negative until it was almost off shore, even though there was at least one piece phasing in and MANY other pieces behind it.  I'd be shocked if today's solution is anywhere close to how it eventually plays out.

On a positive note, nice high in the lakes as opposed to a low.

There are LOTS of waves in the northern branch on the 12z Euro.  The trough never went negative until it was almost off shore, even though there was at least one piece phasing in and MANY other pieces behind it.  I'd be shocked if today's solution is anywhere close to how it eventually plays out.

JB's thoughts on the Euro

February 18 01:51 PM

So I will reserve judgement till later. Looks highly suspect and I dont agree with it

Yeah, I am sure JB (central PA) along with the TN/KY/OH folks are going to toss any model that isn't tracking it up between the apps and 95.  Setup favors a cutter, nothing keeping it from cutting except timing.  Todays globals (GFC/CMC/Euro) have it tracking along/off the coast, tomorrow they could be tracking up central TN.

Sorry, I should clarify. South and East of the Triangle.

The first event in January gave areas SE of Raleigh a nice ice storm. NE saw a nice sleet storm. The last even gave the Triangle a nice ice event throughout the day Monday. Point is we've done well for the two events that affected the SE. We did miss out on the coastal event, but many did see flurries. So not a great year yet, but there's many others across this board that are in the same boat.

For first event:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/events

There are LOTS of waves in the northern branch on the 12z Euro. The trough never went negative until it was almost off shore, even though there was at least one piece phasing in and MANY other pieces behind it. I'd be shocked if today's solution is anywhere close to how it eventually plays out.

I agree, too many moving parts.

EuroWx snow map has 6-9" for GSO, 2-3" for Wake, actually has the 1" down to the sandhills.

All-in.  Good to see the Euro fantasy snow a few days ago is still showing up in some form or fashion (haven't looked at models since Monday night).  The Canadian shows a beast, but it's a little too warm outside the mountains.

I notice the NAVGEM has the storm way suppressed.  Meanwhile, the UKMET has an Apps Runner...

Lots of time left to go.  It probably won't work out, but hopefully it does.  Looks like a setup that more favors the Apps and into the interior NE at this time, though.  I might be moving to a place where it never snows this summer, so I'd like to go out with a bang...

There are LOTS of waves in the northern branch on the 12z Euro. The trough never went negative until it was almost off shore, even though there was at least one piece phasing in and MANY other pieces behind it. I'd be shocked if today's solution is anywhere close to how it eventually plays out.

Yeah the lakes should be high pressure dominated in this setup. any model showing a dominant Great Lakes low is incorrect.

Yeah, I am sure JB (central PA) along with the TN/KY/OH folks are going to toss any model that isn't tracking it up between the apps and 95.  Setup favors a cutter, nothing keeping it from cutting except timing.  Todays globals (GFC/CMC/Euro) have it tracking along/off the coast, tomorrow they could be tracking up central TN.

At this range I pretty much toss every solution, but keep an eye on trends.

At this range I pretty much toss every solution, but keep an eye on trends.

Well the EPS/Para-EPS have been fairly good at day 5 so tomorrow 12z I would think we would have an idea if this favored apps runner or coastal.  I know last week the CMC was the model that everyone was hugging while they spat on the euro/eps.

Well the EPS/Para-EPS have been fairly good at day 5 so tomorrow 12z I would think we would have an idea if this favored apps runner or coastal. I know last week the CMC was the model that everyone was hugging while they spat on the euro/eps.

Both the Euro OP and Parallel are over 0.95 right now, Op is actually at 0.966 which is highest it's been since November most likely or even longer. Look at those last 7 days scores, can't beat 0.952 seven day average for verification scores 5 days out. All hail the king.

d3d2013c83a861242f9e8d19147c5d33.jpg

I'm comparing the 12Z run to the 00z run, 500 mb anomalies @00Z the 25th

The new run has the trough further south, but the 540 line is further north than the previous run. This one is trying to connect the PV near Hudson Bay with the trough down south, they were totally separate before. The ridge is still offshore in the east, maybe a hair stronger, the ridge out west is still there but slightly weaker. Less ridging over Greenland, it's a little further east now. 

Archived