• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

There are some big dogs mixed in the EPS runs.  One of them has a 972mb low pressure sitting over Charlotte.

FYI, the last 3 runs of the EPS has increased the mean snowfall total for SC/NC.  It's still pretty low, but the 2 inch line has made over to Greensboro Now.  All of the NC mountains are now over 2 inches.

Lots of members with deepening low pressure's moving parallel to but just off the Carolina coastline.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some big dogs mixed in the EPS runs. One of them has a 972mb low pressure sitting over Charlotte.

FYI, the last 3 runs of the EPS has increased the mean snowfall total for SC/NC. It's still pretty low, but the 2 inch line has made over to Greensboro Now. All of the NC mountains are now over 2 inches.

the control has a 986 just northeast of Charlotte.

This is such nonsense .. the mean shows a track going too southern SC!

Nonsense?  The low at hr 174 on the mean is in almost the exact location as hr 168 on the op.  Is it exact in the way it gets there? No...but it is close.  In my post I said it was close to the op.  I didn't say it was exactly like the op.

Bummer, classic cold chasing moisture! :(

No, not at all. That's a mean. It's the average storm placement. The average storm strength. The average 850 temp.

You would expect there to be some colder, snowier solutions as well as some warmer, rainier solutions with a mean like that. It's a decent ensemble run, and the main points to take away are that there is a good signal for a storm and at least marginal cold air is nearby.

Not sure we can ask for a lot more from a 7+ day ensemble mean, even though I still feel that many of us will be too warm for snow, when D0 arrives.

Gsp disco

As the Ohio Valley surface low pushes east into New England...the

front stretched between the two surface systems will elongate over

our area as high pressure across the northern tier crosses the

Appalachians and dams down the eastern Seaboard in a diabatically

enhanced classical cad event. Classical damming with precipitation at onset

tends to be associated with some of the more significant impacts

and this one is no different...but luckily surface temperatures

remain above freezing at onset...leading just to a cold rain on

Tuesday. The southern surface low strengthens and pushes into the

deep south early Tuesday...moving into Georgia late Tuesday and

eroding the damming as it pushes east. The parent trough behind

the surface low amplifies significantly at this time...lofting

moisture and precipitation northeast up the eastern Seaboard. The

operational GFS cuts off a middle-level low where as the European model (ecmwf) keeps

it an open...albeit sharp...trough. Both the operational GFS and

ecwmf develop a Miller "a" type low but the European model (ecmwf) is quite a bit

faster /off the NC coast by 18z Wednesday...whereas the GFS has

the surface low center in Greenwood County SC/. Tried to take a

blend to reflect the ensemble means but as this system passes we

have a few different sensible weather impacts to deal with.

Ahead of the surface low...with the low-level warm air advection...digging upper

trough and deep-layer shear...convective available potential energy should increase across the

southeast. The GFS keeps convective available potential energy less than 500 j/kg but still enough

to warrant thunder wording both Sunday and Monday afternoons as

the initial front stretches across the Piedmont before the damming

develops in earnest...and again Wednesday afternoon as the surface

low crosses the area. Now this is based more heavily on the GFS

timing so likely this will change but the idea should remain about

the same unless the surface low track changes significantly and

remains well to the south. Behind the surface low and initially

just across the mountains but spreading across the area Wednesday

night as the cold air filters in...we will have the chance for rain

changing to snow. With a Miller "a" system freezing precipitation

is less of a concern. Will gain more confidence on this as we work

forward in time with subsequent forecasts. And of course as with

any event lately...quantitative precipitation forecast is a concern...with current qpfs for days

6-7 with widespread 2-2.5 inches across the area.

Euro para has a 994mb low sitting over mobile, AL at 162 hrs. Not often you a sub 1000 mb low in the gulf during the winter.  Verbatim, it's on the warm side, but still manages to drop a few inches of snow over N. Ga and upstate SC.  If surface temps were a couple degree's colder I think it would be showing foot plus totals over these area's.

Based of the precip map,

It appears the surface low is being captured and stacking with a 5h low over extreme southern Alabama at hr 168. That is when the surface low reaches max intensity and it stalls there for 6 hours before sliding east and then northeast just off the coast. During that time it dumps 2plus inches of liquid over central, Alabama. Verbatim it's showing it being too warm at the surface for snow there, but if surface temps crashed like you'd expect birmingham would be looking at a foot or more of cement.

Euro para has a 994mb low sitting over mobile, AL at 162 hrs. Not often you a sub 1000 mb low in the gulf during the winter. Verbatim, it's on the warm side, but still manages to drop a few inches of snow over N. Ga and upstate SC. If surface temps were a couple degree's colder I think it would be showing foot plus totals over these area's.

Do you have a map pic? Estimate upstate sc based on what your looking at...

12z euro para further SE than the euro OP and slower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's on the 2 wave idea. Its ensembles have shown this and the Gfs para, that solution would work best for us. First wave rides the boundary then the 2nd phases and is the main show. Check out the 12z Gfs para by the way.

Do you have a map pic? Estimate upstate sc based on what your looking at...

Verbatim, the upstate starts off around 38 degree's Wednesday morning with the heavy back side precip shield to our west. Temps slowing but steadily drop to freezing by 1am Thursday morning. The heaviest precip moves in wednesday afternoon, and we get an 1/4 to 1/2 inch of liquid late wednesday night/early thursday morning from wrap-around.

Also, there's a decent wedge signature on Wednesday, which is why our temperatures drop throughout the day. If that was a little stronger we would be getting absolutely plastered on the para euro.

So theres your over-analyzitation of the 12 para Euro that's sure to change tonight. lol

True. But the 12Z run shows a lot less snow for the Eastern half of NC than the 00Z run. Not enough cold air. Same thing with the GFS Parallel. Decent track but the cold air is just not there.

Have to have a further SE track regardless of what temps show right now to even have a shot . If the track is like the euro op this discussion is pointless

it's on the 2 wave idea. Its ensembles have shown this and the Gfs para, that solution would work best for us. First wave rides the boundary then the 2nd phases and is the main show. Check out the 12z Gfs para by the way.

That's interesting . Just saw the GFS para . Yeah that would work best for many for sure

Fishel showed temperatures early next week. Coldest was wednesday at 45...

didn't mention storm.

. I used to be a Fish fan. But his mid/long range reliance on climo more than offsets his proficiency on the short range. I think his buy in on the GW stuff has made his mid/long term even worse. TW

Archived