• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

Euro drops 4" for the GSO area and 8-12" in the mountains and Piedmont region for the February 23-24th system. Raleigh and east are a cold rain, maybe a trace dusting at RDU but that's it.[/quote

Only 7-8 days to go! King Euro leading the way!

We get our best snows , when there was a heatwave before the event! ☔☔☔☔]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro drops 4" for the GSO area and 8-12" in the mountains and Piedmont region for the February 23-24th system. Raleigh and east are a cold rain, maybe a trace dusting at RDU but that's it.

Just looking at it.  About as good as we can ask for at this point.  Miller A with nice track and 1039 high north of Great Lakes. A lot of high pressure up north vs moving out in the Atlantic, which seems to be our problem the last few years.    

Just looking at it. About as good as we can ask for at this point. Miller A with nice track and 1039 high north of Great Lakes. A lot of high pressure up north vs moving out in the Atlantic, which seems to be our problem the last few years.

I fully expect within a few days that HP will be modeled out in the Atlantic and replaced with a Great Lakes Low, it's been the trend all year to lose the Hp or move it out quickly and replace it with a GLL. I could easily see that happening again.

Use the euro ensembles, the mean and let it guide you at this range, Op is being fairly consistent but its value increases as you get to and under 120. The ensembles next couple of days are what you need to study run to run and the bigest thing your looking for is consistency out of them.

Check the individual members and make sure one or twot dont screw with the mean. Also on the ops you should be looking at 5h maps more than surface. The clowns and surface reflections will bounce around from run to run.

Use the euro ensembles, the mean and let it guide you at this range, Op is being fairly consistent but its value increases as you get to and under 120. The ensembles next couple of days are what you need to study run to run and the bigest thing your looking for is consistency out of them.

Check the individual members and make sure one or twot dont screw with the mean. Also on the ops you should be looking at 5h maps more than surface. The clowns and surface reflections will bounce around from run to run.

This time frame has been showing up on the GFS, Euro, and Canadian ensembles at 5h for several days.  Looks like a legitimate threat.  

I know that this is not mid or long range..... but since there is not a thread for tonight's system, I will just say that it could get interesting if that low digs a little more tonight. I could see a quick 2-4 for some mountain locals and I would not be surprised to see some flakes in the air out over the piedmont before it comes to an end.

Advisories and warnings already going up in mountains.  Latest RAP has some light accumulations streaking out on NC/VA border. Probably too warm, but wouldn't take much to get a few flakes east of mountains in northern foothills and piedmont.  

Latest from RAH

UNSETTLED WEATHER ARRIVES FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY AND PERHAPS
BEYOND AS PACIFIC ENERGY DROPS INTO THE SOUTHERN STREAM ACROSS THE LOWER
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ON MONDAY. A LAGGING NORTHERN STREAM WAVE DROPS
INTO THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ON TUESDAY. THESE SYSTEMS INTERACT
WITH A STALLED FRONTAL ZONE ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST
AND WILL LIKELY RESULT IN CYCLOGENESIS. NOT SURPRISINGLY AT THIS
FORECAST LENGTH GUIDANCE IS VARIED BUT ENSEMBLES GENERALLY
SUGGEST AN EASTWARD OR COASTAL STORM PATH. WILL INCLUDE A LONGER
PERIOD OF CHANCE POPS FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY OF LIQUID FORM FOR
NOW. THE AVAILABILITY OF COLD AIR IS QUESTIONABLE FOR THIS STORM
BUT THE STORM TRACK AND A HIGH CENTERED OVER THE GREAT LAKES IS A
PATTERN THAT BEARS WATCHING. -BLAES

Pick the rainy models , seen your kind befor !

Why not show EPS and Para!??

Please tell me you just didn't call the CMC a rainy model lol. I gave it a brief mention because I was surprised it wasn't trying to kill us this run and finally dropped the EURO idea. It is usually last to switch when it ends up wrong. 

I just don't think the storm and cold will sync for this one particular storm. I'm adamant for winter weather and leaned heavy on the non-rainy models for the last two major events.

Latest from RAH

UNSETTLED WEATHER ARRIVES FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY AND PERHAPS

BEYOND AS PACIFIC ENERGY DROPS INTO THE SOUTHERN STREAM ACROSS THE LOWER

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ON MONDAY. A LAGGING NORTHERN STREAM WAVE DROPS

INTO THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ON TUESDAY. THESE SYSTEMS INTERACT

WITH A STALLED FRONTAL ZONE ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST

AND WILL LIKELY RESULT IN CYCLOGENESIS. NOT SURPRISINGLY AT THIS

FORECAST LENGTH GUIDANCE IS VARIED BUT ENSEMBLES GENERALLY

SUGGEST AN EASTWARD OR COASTAL STORM PATH. WILL INCLUDE A LONGER

PERIOD OF CHANCE POPS FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY OF LIQUID FORM FOR

NOW. THE AVAILABILITY OF COLD AIR IS QUESTIONABLE FOR THIS STORM

BUT THE STORM TRACK AND A HIGH CENTERED OVER THE GREAT LAKES IS A

PATTERN THAT BEARS WATCHING. -BLAES

They read my mind!

I will say the trend on the last storm seemed to be to move the high from the NE east out to sea quicker...and the gulf low in the STJ slower; as we got closer in (doh!!).  If that trend keeps as modeled right now we'd be right where we want to be.  High slides east in time for the low to be right underneath. Still seems like the high is too far north though for a good wedge storm in the piedmont.  I'd like to see it in NY or OH for cad and not canada...especially being modeled at only 1025 or so. I'd feel pretty good in the mountains though at this point. 

Also, I'd like to see grit and wow honking on a storm.  If not it probably doesn't have much merit. :whistle:

We need it timed just right or we are going to see heavy rain. That's why I went with 90% against the synchronization of moisture and cold a few days ago..the last two events were more so easy because you had long duration dry cold air it was just a matter of when. This time......the two are tying to come together at the same time....so I give it 10% chance of the EURO being right.

12734265_965517600207901_121779985643722

We need it timed just right or we are going to see heavy rain. That's why I went with 90% against the synchronization of moisture and cold a few days ago..the last two events were more so easy because you had long duration dry cold air it was just a matter of when. This time......the two are tying to come together at the same time....so I give it 10% chance of the EURO being right.

12734265_965517600207901_121779985643722

Think the threat is a day or two beyond this. So this would be the frontal passage rain and a wave is supposed to form on the stalled front! Rain is the safe bet, everytime! But not a guarantee !

Archived