• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

The 00z Euro just went BOOM for a central NC/NW SC pastebomb on February 23rd-24th. All aboard the hype train!!!! :yikes:

6-12" for CLT, GSO, RDU, and up into SE VA. The clown has 9" for GSO/CLT and 13" for RDU with a pocket of 16" N of RDU, haha.

Anyways, I'm going to try to take a break from model watching for a few days, but I hope the Euro is on to something (probably just dumb luck, but we can hope).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z Euro just went BOOM for a central NC/NW SC pastebomb on February 23rd-24th. All aboard the hype train!!!! :yikes:

6-12" for CLT, GSO, RDU, and up into SE VA. The clown has 9" for GSO/CLT and 13" for RDU with a pocket of 16" N of RDU, haha.

Anyways, I'm going to try to take a break from model watching for a few days, but I hope the Euro is on to something (probably just dumb luck, but we can hope).

NW trend FTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really strong signal on the ensembles for a storm coming out of the southern branch early next week. Much easier to keep a storm south of us when the wave is coming out of southern Texas/Mexico instead of British Columbia.

Seems like the few times that we have had a strong southern system there was no cold to work with....or at least not cold enough.

Ugh.  Once again, Midlands left out.  I'm leaving this stupid state.  Dead end here, with not just weather, but life as a whole.

Would be nice to see the Euro right for a change.

One positive is it is usually the best at sniffing out the big dogs first.

Can we say CMC for a Win with this event!!! It never backed down with the CAD for days!!!  

I think it's safe to say that the King has been dethroned, at least for wintry events in the southeast. Let's keep that in mind when looking at the Euro for the 24/25th threat, especially as we get closer to it (assuming the threat remains a threat). 7-8 days ago, it showed me getting a foot of snow yesterday. 

Having said that, I do believe it was the only model showing a threat at that time, so I guess it did kind of okay for a week + out?

Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, this looks a bit like cold chasing moisture to me - but maybe we can get a high in place sooner? CR: I'd like to play an order for a negative NAO and a 1045 high please.

Larry Cosgrove added 3 new photos.

1 hr · 

After the recent snow and ice debacle affecting Appalachia, the Piedmont and the Eastern Seaboard, it is probable that most of you do not want to reminded of the possibility of winter weather. Well, sorry, but....

After a mostly mild stretch across the entire country February 18 - 23, a blocking pattern will emerge over western and northern Canada. At the same time, the sub-Aleutian vortex building up the ridges will capture energy from the western Pacific Ocean (storm) and tropical forcing associated with the Madden-Julian Oscillation (concentration in Phases 6 and 7, but probably shifting a bit east over the next week or so). A shortwave will dig into the Deep South and then deepen as it tracks along or just offshore of the Eastern Seaboard. I suspect that the digging low will intersect with the subtropical jet stream, possibly in a manner exceeding the low now moving through the Northeast.This system could produce a major wallop of cold, wind and snow (might be rain involved along the coast...too far out to know). Timing on this winter weather event: February 24 - 27.

Bottom line: don't let the temperature rebound late this week fool you. I suspect that the block will hold (with percolations and regressions here and there) unto the third week of March before we see a shift to increasingly milder and rainy conditions over all but the Pacific Northwest and north central U.S.

It looks like the EURO is trying to develop a decent block/ridging in Greenland pinching the vortex a bit south.  Perhaps that's why this run was cold enough for a snow hit?

Overall looks like a real threat to have a storm of some kind, and it's so far south in the southern stream, it actually may run south of us.  The problem to me looks like the cold air....it's not quite cold enough for snows at 850.  There are highs to our north but they're too far north in Canada.  The EURO had a decent size one in NY that did the job.  I'd think we need to see the PV move south and the high to the north moving south as well for us to have a chance. 

What a cruddy way to end the season that would be with a perfect Miller A track that's just too warm in late February. 

gt6a6Yg.png

I know that this is not mid or long range..... but since there is not a thread for tonight's system, I will just say that it could get interesting if that low digs a little more tonight. I could see a quick 2-4 for some mountain locals and I would not be surprised to see some flakes in the air out over the piedmont before it comes to an end.

I know that this is not mid or long range..... but since there is not a thread for tonight's system, I will just say that it could get interesting if that low digs a little more tonight. I could see a quick 2-4 for some mountain locals and I would not be surprised to see some flakes in the air out over the piedmont before it comes to an end.

Looks too warm to me. 1-3" mountains...3-6" a few spots along the TN border...mix in the foothills...rain in the Piedmont.

None of y'all even gave John corso a chance. Anybody read his thoughts?

snow and ice debacle affecting Appalachia, the Piedmont and the Eastern Seaboard, it is probable that most of you do not want to reminded of the possibility of winter weather. Well, sorry, but....

After a mostly mild stretch across the entire country February 18 - 23, a blocking pattern will emerge over western and northern Canada. At the same time, the sub-Aleutian vortex building up the ridges will capture energy from the western Pacific Ocean (storm) and tropical forcing associated with the Madden-Julian Oscillation (concentration in Phases 6 and 7, but probably shifting a bit east over the next week or so). A shortwave will dig into the Deep South and then deepen as it tracks along or just offshore of the Eastern Seaboard. I suspect that the digging low will intersect with the subtropical jet stream, possibly in a manner exceeding the low now moving through the Northeast.This system could produce a major wallop of cold, wind and snow (might be rain involved along the coast...too far out to know). Timing on this winter weather event: February 24 - 27.

Bottom line: don't let the temperature rebound late this week fool you. I suspect that the block will hold (with percolations and regressions here and there) unto the third week of March before we see a shift to increasingly milder and rainy conditions over all but the Pacific Northwest and north central U.S.

The last week of February into March looks to be a time of interest per the PNA and AO. The PNA looks to be strongly positive and the AO strongly negative. Of course the NAO refuses to play.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Historically this is a time period that has produced memorable winter storms. After the first week of March it rapidly becomes harder and harder to produce winter storms. So maybe our last chance for a widespread SE storm.   

Classic Miller A on the 12z Euro.  High pressure in the upper midwest probably needs to be a little quicker getting in but this thing really crawls across the south and dynamics do the job.  Not likely to play out this way, but does show the potential.  A little quicker with the high and a little slower with the low developing in the southern branch and this would be a widespread snowstorm.  As it stands, it's probably a nice snow either way for the MidAtlantic.....lol

Archived