EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Meteorological Super Bowl During AFC Championship? 1/23-1/24, Part II

CapturedNature

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuck that low 20 miles north and that inflow deform really crushes the south coast. Total now cast for them. I give more credence to mesos like the RGEM inside 24 for that stuff. Totally immersed in this on my day off. What a beast

Definitely a high stakes now cast for the south coasts..I'm pretty excited to track it.

I think if the meso's hold serve at 18z and 00z, we're going to have to start factoring them in a bit more. Unless they are THAT bad, which is entirely possible, especially the SREFS.

So in general, do the models account for virga in their computations, qpf numbers, mass fields, radar depiction etc.,?

idk about the sim radar, but yeah...virga for sure. I actually thought they did try to simulate the radar with virga as well, but if Will says no then it probably doesn't.

So in general, do the models account for virga in their computations, qpf numbers, mass fields, radar depiction etc.,?

Disclaimer: I truly know nothing about this.

But simulated reflectivity is just that, simulated. So I'm guessing it is somehow reverse engineering QPF to reflectivity. Example, 0.01" QPF gets a dBZ of 10, etc.

Disclaimer: I truly know nothing about this.

But simulated reflectivity is just that, simulated. So I'm guessing it is somehow reverse engineering QPF to reflectivity. Example, 0.01" QPF gets a dBZ of 10, etc.

That's what I thought. It's all connected to the QPF fields and how much it's printing out in the 1-3-6 hour time frame being analyzed, is what it's "simulated radar" is showing.

That's what I thought. It's all connected to the QPF fields and how much it's printing out in the 1-3-6 hour time frame being analyzed, is what it's "simulated radar" is showing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen simulated radar echoes up here before with nada QPF. We'll have to watch it with this system.

I'm pretty sure I've seen simulated radar echoes up here before with nada QPF. We'll have to watch it with this system.

It's definitely possible. Like most models simulated cloud cover based off RH fields at various levels, but the RGEM actually explicitly forecasts clouds. It doesn't just infer them.

So if the Canadians can do it, why can't we?

Archived