• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

I need to find a location in New England where it is the coldest, there are crazy high winds for zero visibilities, a place that tends to max out on snow totals. Once I find that location, then I can begin to work toward finding a way to stay there for an entire winter, just to find out what it's like.

Jeb, an easy route is do what I did in 1992. I drove out to Summit County Colorado in late Sept and applied for a job at a ski resort. I got a job the same day and was approved for employee housing. Never had to leave the resort my first season. You get discounts on food. If you request an outside job they will hire you so fast it's almost funny.

No searching for housing, no need for a car, free ski pass if you want to do that, and discounts on food. It's a great and simple life without a care in the world. No complicated long term commitments. When the season is over in early April you come home.

I planned on coming home after the first year but it ended up being 7 years instead...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to find a location in New England where it is the coldest, there are crazy high winds for zero visibilities, a place that tends to max out on snow totals. Once I find that location, then I can begin to work toward finding a way to stay there for an entire winter, just to find out what it's like.

Mt. Washington.

Have you thought about Mount Washington, NH? You can actually volunteer at the summit weather station for a week at a time, even over the winter. Travel up and down by Snowcat, spend a week helping out and cooking for the crew and experiencing rime ice like you wouldn't believe, snow, cold, zero visibility, and 100+ mph winds.

I did this for two winter weeks in the late 90s (yikes, has it been that long?). Unbelievable experience.

Have you thought about Mount Washington, NH? You can actually volunteer at the summit weather station for a week at a time, even over the winter. Travel up and down by Snowcat, spend a week helping out and cooking for the crew and experiencing rime ice like you wouldn't believe, snow, cold, zero visibility, and 100+ mph winds.

I did this for two winter weeks in the late 90s (yikes, has it been that long?). Unbelievable experience.

I'll consider that. I have a few relatives up north. Thanks.

Jeb, an easy route is do what I did in 1992. I drove out to Summit County Colorado in late Sept and applied for a job at a ski resort. I got a job the same day and was approved for employee housing. Never had to leave the resort my first season. You get discounts on food. If you request an outside job they will hire you so fast it's almost funny.

No searching for housing, no need for a car, free ski pass if you want to do that, and discounts on food. It's a great and simple life without a care in the world. No complicated long term commitments. When the season is over in early April you come home.

I planned on coming home after the first year but it ended up being 7 years instead...

Can voucher 100% on this, exactly what my son is doing now. Works at Breckenridge, free snowboarding at 5 resorts in the area, which is all he was worried about anyway haha!

Thanks for your input, Bob. I will consider this as well.

Community roads have not all gotten a lane plowed.  VDOT and their contractors made it to my street that has a cul de sac at the very end.  Pretty laborious.  Contractor said pretty much 40 inches standard in most places with 4 - 5 foot drifts.  It is going to take a long time.  We already had at least two emergencies here. The first responders have been very creative in getting those folks out efficiently in very difficult conditions.   Kudos to them.

My earlier prediction of plow time was way too pessimistic. They brought in the big guns. No front loaders. Very big and modern plow truck cut a single lane strip tonight. Quite the show. He had to keep backing up and get running starts until the truck bogged down. It was so cool. A wall of snow 10 feet in the air 200' at a time. My son called it a snow bully. Lol. I get to revisit civilization tomorrow.

My earlier prediction of plow time was way too pessimistic. They brought in the big guns. No front loaders. Very big and modern plow truck cut a single lane strip tonight. Quite the show. He had to keep backing up and get running starts until the truck bogged down. It was so cool. A wall of snow 10 feet in the air 200' at a time. My son called it a snow bully. Lol. I get to revisit civilization tomorrow.

Sounds awesome, did you video?

Welcome back to the real world Bob.

Thanks for your input, Bob. I will consider this as well.

Another option would be to get a winter or year-round job in Yellowstone.  You could spend winter in West Yellowstone, which is a delightful little town with a delightful climate...

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt8857

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wy5345

I used to live in Big Sky, in the mountains just north of Yellowstone a bit.  I had to run the heater straight through the summer.  Last winter I was in West Yellowstone for a couple nights and it dropped down to -40 on the second night. :)

Like most I found this storm difficult to measure due to winds.   I have settled on 28" as my total even though 2 spotters a couple of miles either side of me both reported > 30", so I am being somewhat conservative.  This puts this storm just a couple of inches below Jan 96 30 inch total as the second biggest single storm I have ever witnessed, just barely above the dual blizzards in Feb. 2010 which were 26 and 27 inches. The drifting pattern in my driveway reminded me of the Jan 96 storm in some ways.  I think Jan 96 rightfully deserves to remain the top storm in my neighborhood.

I undertook a three hour jebwalk tonight.

This jebwalk utterly changed my life forever.

I absolutely am in love with blizzards.

I dont know how I am going to do it --- But I am going to find a way to spend an entire winter in the Northeast - in weatherfella/Ginx Snewx/40 70 Benchmark Land.

It's south, way south, but there's always a season in Antarctica.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/antarctic-support-contract.html

I had a former coworker who had done it and loved it. Almost made me wish I had practical skills...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a long walk. My neighborhood is a mess. Way too many people didn't shovel their sidewalks. I know the old timers homes. Ironically their walks are clear and perfectly able folks are untouched. Sorry. No excuses there.

Looks like the plows only hit half the streets and the ones they did are single car width. There's going to be traffic jams on streets that have 100 houses. Lol.

I'm snowed in and don't care :) Oh well.. Loved every second of the storm. Jebwalked 90% of it. Got cold, got wet, and loved every minute of it. Not a storm I'll soon forget. Not one ping of sleet is a Maga win in my area. Beautiful storm from the red sunrise before the storm to the bluebird morning that followed it. That will definitely go on the top shelf.

I undertook a three hour jebwalk tonight.

This jebwalk utterly changed my life forever.

I absolutely am in love with blizzards.

I dont know how I am going to do it --- But I am going to find a way to spend an entire winter in the Northeast - in weatherfella/Ginx Snewx/40 70 Benchmark Land.

Late next summer/fall go to Humboldt for trim season. Move with the wind from place to place. Bound to meet a variety of ski bums and moon children that can point you towards a cold and snow situation in CA or the Rockies.

No plows here yet... No one is leaving anytime soon. Failed attempts to leave by car is include a Jeep, Police K9 SUV and a Honda minivan. Strangely, some person called in a bobcat to the cul de sac down the street. Bobcat ran over to the street, dug a path from the end on out and left. The street was a trail of packed snow the width of a single person before the bobcat showed up

PSSD has really kicked in. After a top 5 weather event in my life and a couple of days that were about as perfect as you can get in life, I don't want to come down off this high. Tomorrow is going to be horrible.

I feel the same way. I feel like I just had the best vacation ever. Now the plane lands and I gotta go back to the real world.

No plows here yet... No one is leaving anytime soon. Failed attempts to leave by car is include a Jeep, Police K9 SUV and a Honda minivan. Strangely, some person called in a bobcat to the cul de sac down the street. Bobcat ran over to the street, dug a path from the end on out and left. The street was a trail of packed snow the width of a single person before the bobcat showed up

Similar in our neighborhood. We're on a cul-de-sac (which itself branches off a dead end street) and haven't had anything yet. People have mostly shoveled out walkways and driveways to the street, but our street and the one we're attached to need to be plowed before anyone's getting anywhere. This is inside the Beltway, too, so I can only assume that more rural parts of MoCo are just as bad.

Archived