joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wound up abandoning my car at the Franconia-Springfield Metro station tonight and walking home. The snow-reduced travel lanes on the F-S parkway and elsewhere snarled traffic so badly that no one could get in or out. From Waze and Twitter I see the backup has been going on for 90+ minutes now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started shoveling Saturday morning with 12"+ otg and saw the snow at the bottom was melting. Even after 3-4 days of cold temps before the storm, the months of way above temps have made a frozen ground hard to come by this year. So between the ground from below, the sun from above, and temps/dews from all around, our snow doesn't/didn't have a chance in hell to stay on the ground very long. Oh well, we'll just need to do another.

I am surprised mattie g hasn't complained that FCPS has had 7 (yes, that's right, 7) straight snow days ;)

Last Thursday was a joke, but based on the state of the secondary and neighborhood roads around here, I honestly think it's the right call to cancel through tomorrow. Beyond that should be a day-to-day thing, but I can see why they made the call to SHUT. IT. DOWN.

I have a question about snowfall measurements compared to snowfall depth:

I understand that snowfall reports by spotters, etc are from using the every six hours method, and adding those periods up for total snowfall.  I wish those obs also had snowfall depth measurements as of the end of the storm, but I didn't see any (except for a couple airports).

How much difference would there be in a storm this size between total observed snowfall and snow depth after the storm ends?  I know it would vary based on the snow ratio and other factors, but what would be a ballpark guess?  For example - take a 30-inch observed snowfall amount from this event - would that yield a depth of say 24 inches?  27?

I am wondering because I had a depth at the end of the storm of 24 inches, and I see multiple 30-34" spotter obs from nearby.  Thanks for any answers!

I have asked the same question as you over and over again in all the forums and never get a complete straight answer. Tremendous inflation and over reporting are going on if the 24 inch depth is to be going along with a measurement of snowfall over 30 inches even on a long duration storm. This was not a lake effect event...when ratios are 20-30 to one then it is plausible. No doubt there was some settling and compaction but I have always found the difference to be more like 10 to 15 percent more at most with our moisture laden coastals. I would say you likely had 26-28 inches of snowfall if your on the level measurement was solid. Now if those areas near you got into better mesoscale banding, even by a few miles there can be a world of difference.

Pretty easy drive from Columbia to DC between 5-6am today. Mostly dry roads w/some icy patches but NBD, at least for me.

Same for me from Odenton to WOodlawn.  The only tricky spots were where they had finally plowed out the entire width of a road/exit ramp/turning lane

I saw one car that bit it getting off from 295 to 195 by BWI after braking too hard on a small slick patch of plow remnants.

The Arlington Aggravation (sm) continues.

County truck xxxx came downhill, piled higher in front of my driveway, then proceeded to block in my neighbor.

Meanwhile, its cousin yyyy came uphill, pushed hard enough on a snow mound to send it spilling onto the sidewalk, then knocked a part of another mound into someone else's driveway.

I'm happy for (1) full fridge and pantry and (2) No Power Cuts!

Clueless, are you on? Is there anyone else on that lives on northern Route 28, on Route 7 or on Route 9?

Reason I ask is this:

I am getting ready to go on a trip to Jefferson County in West Virginia. Me and my snow lovin friends in Dale City have decided we would like to take a vacation away from the meltfest here lol, and they really think I should take a break from digging snow and just enjoy the scenery for a change lol.

So - How are the roads? Is Rt 7 and 9 passable?

Thanks in advance

Clueless, are you on? Is there anyone else on that lives on northern Route 28, on Route 7 or on Route 9?

Reason I ask is this:

I am getting ready to go on a trip to Jefferson County in West Virginia. Me and my snow lovin friends in Dale City have decided we would like to take a vacation away from the meltfest here lol, and they really think I should take a break from digging snow and just enjoy the scenery for a change lol.

So - How are the roads? Is Rt 7 and 9 passable?

Thanks in advance

Jeb, They are actually in great shape. But the left lane is pinched in places. Just be prepared to dive right at a moments notice.

Archived