joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like foods too. Italian and Chinese foods are the best :)

I can't afford to embrace it. Like Ian, soon we'll be getting to the time of year where a few warm days will make me long for Spring. Too soon. 

Well, you beat me to the 'foods'....lol

And agree, just stay cool/cold until ACTUAL spring, then it can go to cool..... :whistle:

I am down to 4-6" but still full snow cover at my place. Plenty of bare spots in the open farm fields around here though. That always happens in a windy storm with lots of blowing and drifting. My driveway is really mushy....

Huge difference from the Eastern Shore to my area. Hardly any snow left once you get past Kent Island. Big difference soon as you cross the bay. I felt I drove into upstate NY when I pulled into my neighborhood lol. I still have 9" in my backyard. 4-6" in full sun.

Huge difference from the Eastern Shore to my area. Hardly any snow left once you get past Kent Island. Big difference soon as you cross the bay. I felt I drove into upstate NY when I pulled into my neighborhood lol. I still have 9" in my backyard. 4-6" in full sun.

Depends what direction you go. If you go NE and away from the bay where I am, there is quite a bit of snow. The farm fields are losing it fast now though, as there is full sun exposure and lots of "light" areas to begin with due to the high winds blowing it. Those areas go bare quickly. I am in the woods so not much drifting and no bare areas yet. That will change tomorrow lol.

I love the sound it makes when walked on. I guess I'll have to take a long hike in the woods this evening to enjoy the last of it :(

Yeah thats why I went this morning. Was 21 degrees when the sun was just coming up so I went out. Very refreshing. Saw plenty of deer. Was hard to walk  as you kinda stayed on top but then plunged in. Good workout though.

Yeah thats why I went this morning. Was 21 degrees when the sun was just coming up so I went out. Very refreshing. Saw plenty of deer. Was hard to walk  as you kinda stayed on top but then plunged in. Good workout though.

I did exact same thing here this am. Walked about 4 miles in the woods, enjoying the peace and quiet (minus the crunchy snow) and watching the wildlife coping with the weather. Lots of deer tracks in the snow.

If you get tired of the meltfest, always remember excellent snowpack is waiting for you in Jefferson County in West Virginia. It's only about 90 minutes to our NW. Plenty of deep snowpack there and cooler weather as well. Snowpack depths in and around Jefferson County W. Va. running ~ 17-22 inches on a level. Drifted areas are much deeper. I was in total snow Heaven up there for a day. Hit up Rt 28 in Manassas, follow it up to Rt 7 then the Bypass, and on to Rt 9. Wow what a picturesque countryside! This is up in Clueless's stomping grounds. Just TONS of deep snow up there!

There are some colossal piles in the parking lots. I went to home Depot and leisure world plaza last night and knew they would be big but my goodness. If we turn cold in Feb they will make it well into March. Slip and fall season every cold night for months.

D8 with 100% coverage. My snowpack needs are satisfied. Bring on the warmth.

Last night I was really enjoying the ice flats around the piles of snow in the parking lots. There was a refreshing northerly breeze as well, perfect jebwalk weather. Its fun walking nonchalantly on the ice while everyone else is slipping and falling hard on the black ice, arms all a-flailing. This is truly an entertaining part of the winter. I also reveled in the sound of tires spinning on snow and ice, there is no better music to my ears in the low sun period.

I did exact same thing here this am. Walked about 4 miles in the woods, enjoying the peace and quiet (minus the crunchy snow) and watching the wildlife coping with the weather. Lots of deer tracks in the snow.

This really is a great group of people here :). Definitely my kinda fokes.

It truly has been an amazing week.

Went to Lake Braddock HS today to see Beauty and the Beast with the wife and daughter. Some absolutely massive piles in their parking lot - like nearly 10' tall and 50' wide. Pretty intimidating.

The show was quite good, too. The actors were really impressive. Little one *loved* it! I'm always amazed by the quality of the arts programs in the local high schools around here. A far cry from those where I grew up...

More snow is coming to the Mid Atlantic in Feb. A LOT. If you like one lane roads like I do, you'll LOVE Feb.

Count on it.

Get those shovels ready!

Hint: Watch the system that may develop over Texas around Feb 8-9.

Stock up on Red Bull, we be getting ready to track hard core within 7-10 days

I always find driving from a area with no snow to a area with lots of snow, interesting. Driving back from the Eastern Shore today. I almost felt proud as I watch the snow drastically increase soon as I crossed the bay onto the Western Shore. Huge difference. It makes my iceberg look thick :). I also realized how close I was to the set in dry slot. I snuck into the deform band like a crook lol. Took my 22" and ran.

I always find driving from a area with no snow to a area with lots of snow, interesting. Driving back from the Eastern Shore today. I almost felt proud as I watch the snow drastically increase soon as I crossed the bay onto the Western Shore. Huge difference. It makes my iceberg look thick :)

I was in Arizona early this month during a big snowstorm out there near Flagstaff (12-18") while I was on vacation.  The drive west of Flagstaff was really interesting because we dropped down from ~7,000 ft. ASL (where it was hammering) to around 5,000-6,000 ASL depending on whether you were on a hill or on the plains.  On the hills, it was pouring snow with the interstate quite slushy while on the plains it was mixed with rain and there was almost no snow on the ground.  This pattern repeated several times as we drove west towards Las Vegas and crested several hills until we finally got low enough under 5,000 ft. ASL.  It was definitely quite interesting and not something you see in the east much (aside from maybe in the Appalachians).  It's not like these were huge hills.  Just 500 ft. in elevation made all the difference in a marginal situation.

The Grand Canyon provided a really cool illustration of this as it was a winter wonderland at the top of the southern rim, but when the clouds opened up on the second day I was there, you could see the snow line only descended a little bit into the canyon and most of the canyon was just rock and dirt with no snow! :)

I always find driving from a area with no snow to a area with lots of snow, interesting. Driving back from the Eastern Shore today. I almost felt proud as I watch the snow drastically increase soon as I crossed the bay onto the Western Shore. Huge difference. It makes my iceberg look thick :). I also realized how close I was to the set in dry slot. I snuck into the deform band like a kook lol. Took my 22" and ran.

Even just 30 miles makes a big difference. I was down in North Beach last evening. Still snow on the ground down there, but nothing like we have in the northern part of the county.

Had dinner with my hillbilly neighbors last night...one of them said warm rain this week after a big snow means more snow coming soon after the rain. Her husband said...yep...they have lived her 40+ years...I'm on board!!

Where I come from there are two kinds of people, hillbillies and ***holes. Glad you found some good people to have dinner with.

Archived