joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting tweet and graphic by Dan Leonard, he said the EPS is also showing a crazy sharp cutoff but it can't resolve the northern part of the QPF cutoff. Says the northern part of the QPF is overdone, south of the cutoff line, it's underdone. So there is pretty good support for the NAM/GFS/CMC idea. Here is the tweet and graphic for you guys to read: https://mobile.twitter.com/DanLeonard_wx/status/689913768634118144

I could be wrong, hope I am wrong but you can see how with each passing run, the globals are becoming more and more progressive. Despite the low cutting off, the base of the ridge is flattening which allows the ULL to slip East instead of stalling near the Delmarva like it was doing this time yesterday. I am fairly certain that this a direct result of the strong El Nino flow which is sending another piece of energy right into the Pacific which is causing the ridge out West to collapse. Unless something drastically changes I think this one is mostly a miss, even for the coast. The flow is just too progressive and you can see it becoming more and more so with each passing run. The strong Nino wins again. The 18z GFS pretty much matches up with the 12z GEFS mean.

That would certainly be a heart breaker for many if that is indeed the case, I think its a bit premature to say that is happening and it would be a miss but I guess it is one of the things in the realm of possibility.

Interesting tweet and graphic by Dan Leonard, he said the EPS is also showing a crazy sharp cutoff but it can't resolve the northern part of the QPF cutoff. Says the northern part of the QPF is overdue, south of the cutoff line, it's underdone. So there is pretty good support for the NAM/GFS/CMC idea. Here is the tweet and graphic for you guys to read: https://mobile.twitter.com/DanLeonard_wx/status/689913768634118144

That is all heresay. I can't even figure out what he is saying.

If things trend south with the 0z suite, I think this will be a mostly Trenton and south storm like Feb 2010. The confluence isn't overly strong like it was then but it's still there, and the closed off low digging too much and being nudged east out to sea could still kill NYC's chances. Right now they're just on the right side of the heavy snow line but there is still time for shifts either way. I-84 and north I'd say is more likely out than not.

I could be wrong, hope I am wrong but you can see how with each passing run, the globals are becoming more and more progressive. Despite the low cutting off, the base of the ridge is flattening which allows the ULL to slip East instead of stalling near the Delmarva like it was doing this time yesterday. I am fairly certain that this a direct result of the strong El Nino flow which is sending another piece of energy right into the Pacific which is causing the ridge out West to collapse. Unless something drastically changes I think this one is mostly a miss, even for the coast. The flow is just too progressive and you can see it becoming more and more so with each passing run. The strong Nino wins again. The 18z GFS pretty much matches up with the 12z GEFS mean.

The 18z isn't that different from yesterday's runs... NE NJ, NYC, and LI, are all in a decent spot for this.

Also the last storm that grazed us last weekend came a good bit north on the models in the preceding 36 hours and even 12 hours. Not saying that it will jump north but it shows that things can still change a lot at the last moment.

We go thru the same thing every big storm scenario....0z decent hit with a north tick, 6z good hit qpf shrinks to north, 12z huge hit everyone happy, 18z south tick only 10" (rolleyes) everyone jumps off gw bridge, 0z tick north big hit, wash rinse repeat. I still think things are a go. These are minor run-to-run fluctuations....noise imho. When conservative posters like PB and Don S are barking, its a good bet they are onto something. I understand the concern but Ive yet to see a solid trend one way or the other....I mean a "consistent trend". Relax folks, you will get your weekend snows. And quite frankly there is still plenty of time to go to fine tune things. Hang in there....and not by a noose.

See ya's for 0z :-)

I don't normally post about this sort of thing but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Bernie Rayno in his latest video (pre 18z GFS) makes a pretty good case on why he thinks this could come North.

1) With around 72 hours to go the odds of the models having nailed this perfectly are quite slim.

2) The old school rule about a system exiting the coast at the same latitude that it entered. Oregon and Northern CA would mean an exit right around the NJ coast.

3) While there is some confluence to the North, it's fairly weak. Nothing is really there to force things to the South. This is simply a result of the energy digging further South than ideal and then ULL moving due East instead of Northeast. 

So with all that being said, if you consider the odds of the modeling having nailed the storm at this range and then decide does it make more sense for the shift to come North or to the South? I think the setup would favor a Northerly shift. 

He did mention that if the ULL moves due East like currently shown then it would be game, set, match for SNE.

My previous concerns remain. I think the reason why the ULL moves due East is because of the pattern becoming more progressive as a result of the Nino rather than the system trying to come North and hitting a wall so to speak.

How's it possible that low goes southeast instead of NE? I've never seen that. Can a met explain what's causing that?

There is a SW hitting the W coast at the same time  . It dampens the height rises on the EC and the system can only get so far  N before it heads E . As  the EC system encounters the confluence and occludes it gets shunted E .

Is that at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay , AC or Belmar ?  That is a huge difference as to where that N edge gets before the shield pivots .

The models have to still figure out  ( they are getting close ) where this occludes and where the confluence will shave the N fringe of this off . 50 miles may be the difference between a foot of snow and a dusting . 

The mean  on the 12z EPS at KNYC is 12 inches . There are members in the cluster than are very far SE . One could assume that is skewing this to a degree .

But that said KNYC is not in the clear . We all watched in 2010 a gradient that to this day makes me sick .That may play itself out again Sat here . ( It will somewhere ) .

Except this time I hope I am far enough S , but there are no guarantees in this hobby ( job for some ) . 

We go thru the same thing every big storm scenario....0z decent hit with a north tick, 6z good hit qpf shrinks to north, 12z huge hit everyone happy, 18z south tick only 10" (rolleyes) everyone jumps off gw bridge, 0z tick north big hit, wash rinse repeat. I still think things are a go. These are minor run-to-run fluctuations....noise imho. When conservative posters like PB and Don S are barking, its a good bet they are onto something. I understand the concern but Ive yet to see a solid trend one way or the other....I mean a "consistent trend". Relax folks, you will get your weekend snows. And quite frankly there is still plenty of time to go to fine tune things. Hang in there....and not by a noose.

See ya's for 0z :-)

I just think the GFS is having problems with handling of the confluence; if you look at the 500 mb maps they are getting better with each ensuing run. Yet its not reflected at the surface. The Euro had that problem then finally figured it out at 12z hence the big jump north. The Euro ensembles were north of the OP and I expect a jog north tonight. Will the GFS finally get its act together at 0z? Who knows. The GFS always seems to be late at the party.

There is a SW hitting the W coast at the same time . It dampens the height rises on the EC and the system can only get so far N before it heads E . So the EC system encounters the confluence and occludes and gets shunted E .

is that at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay , AC or Belmar ? That is a huge difference as to where that N edge gets before the shield pivots .

The models have to still figure out ( they are getting close ) where this occludes and where the confluence will shave the N fringe of this off . 50 miles may be the difference between a foot of snow and a dusting .

The mean on the 12z EPS at KNYC is 12 inches . There are members in the cluster than are very far SE . One could assume that is skewing this to a degree .

But that said KNYC is not in the clear . We all watched in 2010 a gradient that to this day makes me sick .That may play itself out again Sat here . ( it will somewhere ) .

Except this time I hope I am far enough S , but there are no guarantees in this hobby ( job for some ) .

NYC was already done at this point in 2010 72 hours out

NYC was already done at this point in 2010 72 hours out

The 700mb field here is further N and the EPS may be handling the entire evolution better ( my hope ) . I just remember sitting on Long  Island watching the radar saying this is what it feels like to live in the GLs and watch24 pile up 10 mins N of you 

Archived