• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

I want to say only the GFS showed that, the NAM had it mostly south and so did the euro. It was just that most felt the gradient wouldn't end up nearly that sharp.

100% correct. NAM and EURO were locked in on the gradient and got it pretty correct. GFS was incorrect. People used poor resolution and the NAM's reputation to downplay a gradient like that but it transpired anyhow. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a SW hitting the W coast at the same time . It dampens the height rises on the EC and the system can only get so far N before it heads E . As the EC system encounters the confluence and occludes it gets shunted E .

Is that at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay , AC or Belmar ? That is a huge difference as to where that N edge gets before the shield pivots .

The models have to still figure out ( they are getting close ) where this occludes and where the confluence will shave the N fringe of this off . 50 miles may be the difference between a foot of snow and a dusting .

The mean on the 12z EPS at KNYC is 12 inches . There are members in the cluster than are very far SE . One could assume that is skewing this to a degree .

But that said KNYC is not in the clear . We all watched in 2010 a gradient that to this day makes me sick .That may play itself out again Sat here . ( It will somewhere ) .

Except this time I hope I am far enough S , but there are no guarantees in this hobby ( job for some ) .

Great post when u think the models nail this down or will it be a nowcast

I want to say only the GFS showed that, the NAM had it mostly south and so did the euro. It was just that most felt the gradient wouldn't end up nearly that sharp.

My concern is there is no room for another southern shift. Even if only 20 miles will take us out of the game and its 2010 all over again.

The NNJ jackpot has become an endangered species following Boxing Day 2010.

All the really high impact snowstorms have dumped either from LI northeastward 

or stayed in CNJ south of the Driscoll Bridge.

Yeah, the most I've got recently came from the Valentines Day 2014 storm (February 13-14). I was very close to doing the best in the state at 16"

Southern Jersey has been doing great the last couple years.

100% correct. NAM and EURO were locked in on the gradient and got it pretty correct. GFS was incorrect. People used poor resolution and the NAM's reputation to downplay a gradient like that but it transpired anyhow.

The GEFS also had virtually zip, 2 members had like 2.50 but the others had nearly zero and it skewed everything

The Para I have a feeling will be delayed on release. Ive followed it closely the last few weeks and it flops like crazy from run to run, north south north south again.

2 days ago it was a whiff . Yesterday it painted a 20 spot in CNJ .  I just posted the numbers . 

The Para I have a feeling will be delayed on release. Ive followed it closely the last few weeks and it flops like crazy from run to run, north south north south again.

The operational euro has been doing the same thing. 25-50 mile jumps from run fall within the normal uncertainty

range at those lead times. If people were looking at a rainstorm under such a microscope, then they would see the

same thing. People demand an unrealistic level of perfection from models for snow, but give them more leeway

with rainfall and convection. These operational runs can sometimes act like another ensemble member.

To some extent, these major events can morph in nowcast specials.

Archived