joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Northern Essex Co. so I'm in the cool club... 

But again, this is the NAM so take it FWIW at this range... little.

But a gradient like that wouldn't shock me.

If you believe in the nam gradient, you should shave off like 25% of the snowfall as well.  NAM loves to overdue QPF

I'm thinking models will define the gradient over the next few cycles and increase QPF for those inside where very intense banding will occur.

A shift of up to 50 miles N or S seems reasonable regarding where it'll set up.

It does seem tho, that the last few models have picked up on the strength of the confluence in the north. That sharp gradient is becoming more and more defined.

It does seem tho, that the last few models have picked up on the strength of the confluence in the north. That sharp gradient is becoming more and more defined.

The models did this in February 2010 too. I remember model runs right up to the event that nailed the gradient and people discounted it as not possible even as the event began.  The good news now is this is still a few days out and can move north (or south) but its definitely late in the game. 

That image does not seem to be quite as sharp of a cutoff.... idk to me looks like around 10-12 in HPN area? Am I correct??

i am one town away from you.  That's what it shows for us.  if I was going to make a call on the for the afternoon guidence, I would call it a 4-8, or a 5-10 type deal. 

i am one town away from you.  That's what it shows for us.  if I was going to make a call on the for the afternoon guidence, I would call it a 4-8, or a 5-10 type deal. 

Yea agreed.... I'll take that any day!! We only need a 5-10 mile north push to get 10-15 crazy!!!!  Hopefully the push is more than that to benefit areas north of 84

That's an exceptional cutoff on the NAM. It's almost like the February 2010 storm.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/snow/nesis/20100204-20100207-4.38.jpg

Is the NAM overdoing the confluence? Even the 12z ECMWF didn't feature such a sharp gradient.

Yea a sharp gradient like that almost seems rare and unheard of but I guess it is possible.

Archived