joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty ideal now, just wonder what is more likely an issue...

North/west trend and mixing/rain or out to sea...

I would rather still be holding on to a more suppressed look being 5 days out still, but that's just me. The fact the NAVGEM is so tight to the coast is odd considering it is usually the most suppressed and progressive. Might not mean a thing but certainly should be watched. That model can often yield clues to what will happen even though not always 100% synoptically accurate. Clues.

My expectations are still low with this one given the marginal temps on some guidance. Wont take much to screw us or jackpot us either way. 5 days is an eternity!

This has Arctic air to work with just to its north and the dynamics would be pretty intense verbatim, so I'm not worried about mixing. It's too far for that now.

I will say that I do expect some pull back from the guidance today just purely since you almost never see a solution locked In six day out.

When it does happen, don't freak out and cancel everything. It's all just part of the dance that is this insane hobby.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Crazier is some guidance says some areas reach their seasonal snowfall avg in ONE STORM! I could live with that even if it's the only snow event this winter.

Exactly...I get the funny feeling if you don't cash in on this one, you may have missed your only real chance this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From this point onwards it will be tough for most to keep emotions in check. Many are psyching themselves out '' Will wai ttill Tues, will wait till Wed...has a 20% of verifying''. Understandable but lets also remain scientific, the science here makes sense.A primary fades in TN valley, a slow moving coastal takes over with arctic air to the north, the specifics will change and yes it is reasonable to worry about the Pac Jet but the scenario as mapped out makes physical sense. Personally, I will sit back and enjoy every model run: half the fun of getting the Big Dog is hearing it bark ...ie. the model watching and learning from the discussions that ensue.

From this point onwards it will be tough for most to keep emotions in check. Many are psyching themselves out '' Will wai ttill Tues, will wait till Wed...has a 20% of verifying''. Understandable but lets also remain scientific, the science here makes sense.A primary fades in TN valley, a slow moving coastal takes over with arctic air to the north, the specifics will change and yes it is reasonable to worry about the Pac Jet but the scenario as mapped out makes physical sense. Personally, I will sit back and enjoy every model run: half the fun of getting the Big Dog is hearing it bark ...ie. the model watching and learning from the discussions that ensue.

The one thing I have noticed regarding the Pac is the low pressure south of Alaska continues to get stronger each run which in turn is helping to pump the ridge out West. Transient or not, we need that feature to remain and not flatten out. Timing is everything as always.

gfs_npac_111_500_vort_ht.gif

Finally the most credible threat worth tracking.... Would be comical that our first "more than an inch" snowfall is a MECS, fingers crossed boys

Saw that in Feb 95, an 11 incher the only one of the season, still a major storm and as big as most storms you'll usually get around here. Don't mind one decent one had a lot of years like that too. Better than the snowless ones. But tell me, why is everyone so much more positive about this one? Seems we have had the rug pulled out from us a lot. What is different here?

Saw that in Feb 95, an 11 incher the only one of the season, still a major storm and as big as most storms you'll usually get around here. Don't mind one decent one had a lot of years like that too. Better than the snowless ones. But tell me, why is everyone so much more positive about this one? Seems we have had the rug pulled out from us a lot. What is different here?

I think this is the closest we've come this year. We're nearing five days out. Plus there's good model agreement, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived