Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

The 12z   op ECMWF   is an outlier

neither the  0z euro ensemble  mean   ...the  high res GEFS  ensemnle mean ...or the cmc  ensemble mean have  nearly the same as the  12z  op   ECMWF   for snow in   north NJ  NYC  LI  or CT

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

neither the  0z euro ensemble  mean   ...the  high res GEFS  ensemnle mean ...or the cmc  ensemble mean have  nearly the same as the  12z  op   ECMWF   for snow in   north NJ  NYC  LI  or CT

I've never heard of arguing that an operation run is an outlier compared to its ensembles  . . . from 12 hours prior.   But Tolleris never fails to surprise.

QPF is quantitative precipitation forecast. With global models (gfs/cmc/euro to a lesser extent), the QPF naps are notoriously bad. If you look at h5/h7 on the gfs, it's 12-24".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I know what QPF is - bad attempt at humor.  I always assumed people were using the precipitation maps to forecast precipitation amounts - if not, why have the QPF maps for the surface if there is some algorithm that converts some variable (pressure/height, I presume) at mid/upper levels of the atmosphere (700/500 mbar) into surface precip amounts more accurately?  I'm not a forecaster, so am interested to understand this...

Also, I'm pretty sure sacrus, zelocita, donsutherland, et al, have been posting guesstimated snowfall amounts based on those QPF maps, but I could be wrong.  At the very least, listing them out like that is an apples to apples comparison of QPF maps.  

The 12z op ECMWF is an outlier

neither the 0z euro ensemble mean ...the high res GEFS ensemnle mean ...or the cmc ensemble mean have nearly the same as the 12z op ECMWF for snow in north NJ NYC LI or CT

It's more or less model noise though, the variance is an issue of 40-60 mile differences between the various guidance. Right now I think anything from 8 to 20 inches in NYC is possible with anything over that being extremely unlikely and anything under that being relatively unlikely

He is also comparing it to the ensembles of a previous run...  DT just likes to come on our subforum and stir the pot and leave.

It's total bull****.  It goes into the weighted blend like all the other runs.  If it is a true outlier, it won't influence the forecast that much because that blend will also have the GFS, Canadian, UKMET, GFS and ECWMF ensembles, etc.   You don't just get to throw away a model because you don't like its output without reasoning why it should be discarded.

to be fair the total precip might not be as much as the op run but the ens mean has a further north edge than the op

um   HOW is the  12z  CMC  ENSEMBLE  snow  projection  10-18"? 

this map does not show that at all 

an 20 12z Summary

NYC: Snowfall projections

NAM:  great thru 84 - extrapolated looks 12-20

GFS: 7 - 11

GEFS

GGEM:  15 - 22

GGEM ENS:  10 - 18

UKMET:

ECM:  10 - 18

post-9415-0-76801900-1453317435_thumb.jp

HPC  does this  all the time  they will reject the  recent  op run of  a model  when  they compare e top the  0z  ens mean

It's total bull****.  It goes into the weighted blend like all the other runs.  If it is a true outlier, it won't influence the forecast that much because that blend will also have the GFS, Canadian, UKMET, GFS and ECWMF ensembles, etc.   You don't just get to throw away a model because you don't like its output without reasoning why it should be discarded.

It's more or less model noise though, the variance is an issue of 40-60 mile differences between the various guidance. Right now I think anything from 8 to 20 inches in NYC is possible with anything over that being extremely unlikely and anything under that being relatively unlikely

Perfect example of how language, when used precisely, helps to clarify the picture. Understand that spread and the %  involved. Other than confluence reduction , a possible 2nd low and excessive wind what can hold back NYC from the 15-20 range?

good post

but     the  ggem does not  really show  10-18" for NYC CT LI 

HPC  does this  all the time  they will reject the  recent  op run of  a model  when  they compare e top the  0z  ens mean

Not without additional reasoning for the rejection.  It's a way to support rejection for a real reason, not a "doesn't agree with my preferred forecast reason'.  I.e., if you suspected some error in the data that was input, and then you got a result that was vastly different from the last run's ensemble, then you might reject.

What you're doing is cherry-picking based on gut.  That's not rigorous forecasting.

The 12z op ECMWF is an outlier

neither the 0z euro ensemble mean ...the high res GEFS ensemnle mean ...or the cmc ensemble mean have nearly the same as the 12z op ECMWF for snow in north NJ NYC LI or CT

do you think the small snowstorm that's about to cross the mid Atlantic has anything to do how the next storm that's supposed to hit this weekend ?

will it influence the big storm once the small one crosses into the ocean? You think he models will catch any changes after it rolls through

WOW... according to the GFS... HPN is not that far off from the NYC airport outputs... thought they were further apart.  Either could translate to 8-12 inches.  thanks for the post DON!

It will be interesting to see if the higher-resolution ECMWF or the GFS have a better idea on the northern extent of the accumulations. It's gone both ways in past storms, so the higher amounts shown on the GFS can't necessarily be thrown out. Moreover, for all intents and purposes, the ECMWF is in the same ballpark so to speak.

good post

but     the  ggem does not  really show  10-18" for NYC CT LI 

He sees 1.25 +shaded through KNYC  That supports 12 plus 

1.5 cuts into the tip of Staten Island.

1.75 cutting through Monmouth County . It is 30 miles S of KNYC  S of the tip on KNYC 

gem-ens_apcpn_eus_21.png

Albany NWS seems to think there's gonna be decent wiggle room on that northern Precip shield.. Stating that anyone south of I-90 is at greatest chance for accumulating snows...

NYC looks like 6+ minimum. With how this year has gone so far, take it and run. North and west of NYC is the big question mark

This could be a "revenge Juno" where Boston gets shafted and NYC gets a nice event. The models shifting to a sharp north cutoff isn't an accident. But 2/6/10 just 50 miles further north would have included millions more people in over 12" of snow. The confluence this time looks weaker than that time. 

One of these looks slightly more suppressive then the other...

post-2304-0-32010700-1453318683_thumb.gi

post-2304-0-37056800-1453318692_thumb.gi

Looking at this map,one can easily see a call if 10-18 FOR NYC ONLY makes sense.. his snow totals are for NYC only not long island etc. It says so in his post.

8-14 more like it.  At the time i had based the tally on the 6 hour frames and summed them up.  Anyway, I usually prefer to just list QPF

and let others decide on snow totals.

Archived