joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big jump north on the south side, lots of precip issues in s nj/del, but wow for c/nj, 3.1" QPF all snow :-)

This is the best case scenario for the tristate and I don't see it ticking much further north. As soon as it hits the confluence it starts heading east.

However it's the Nam and while I'd give anything for this to verify we need the big boys to play.

Biggest take away for me is that the Low didn't immediately slide east like the GFS, but rather is held steady for hours before it finally starting slipping away, and he confluence trended weaker.

This 10x's Cut nam totals in half and you still have a pretty good storm. Stalling off coast is key here.

I am going to say it...it's the NAM. I said it before, cut the totals by 25% and hope the track is right. Which basically dumpes 18 in the city. None would sign up for that.

Cutoff is not far away and a 50 mile correction in 48 hours is nothing. But if we see the 2 globals go there, I will bite. But I fear the faster/flatter flow solution from 18z GFS is real...

Biggest take away for me is that the Low didn't immediately slide east like the GFS, but rather is held steady for hours before it finally starting slipping away, and he confluence trended weaker.

Very much agreed. There are definitely positives that can be taken from this run. Much further north. Better heights, less confluence. The QPF is most likely overdone but if this storm just sits for a while and does not exit quickly east then it may not be far from the truth. We shall see onto the next model.......

Ok everyone has sobered up now, on to the GFS.

On to the confluence storyline, if that is further away or isobars less tight. Won't that limit the lift in the banding? We need that wall for the precip to mash into and drop everything right there for big amounts, no?

The heavy precip shifted 30-40 miles north or so on the NAM, and SNE gets swiped by the departing CCB, even up to Boston. Yeah, it's likely overdone on the precip, but that's the NAM.

Ferocious winds showing up on the NJ coast again this run. That's the side effect of a closer and tucked in low.

Looks very much like the GFS from last night. Storm is tucked in and crawling. This would be the nightmare scenario for the coast.

You haven't been following weather very long, have you?

Why? Because the NAM is usually overdone and that was an obvious comment? The run makes a lot of sense though. NYC sits under the mesoscale snow banding for several hours because the low stalls out. Thus, the band never moves northward. Then it exits eastward. In some ways, the suburbs' famine is the city's feast.

Archived