joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's more common in winter around here?  The NAM and 2-3 feet of snow or the GFS and 6-10" of snow with some mixing for the I-95 corridor from Central Jersey to NYC?  Thought so.  This is not to say that the GFS is "correct" but it's certainly more likely to verify if these were the only choices, i.e., if anyone says to "toss the GFS" (without some really good reasoning, we may have to crack some skulls, lol.  Hopefully, reality is somewhere more towards the slightly outrageous NAM.  

What's more common in winter around here?  The NAM and 2-3 feet of snow or the GFS and 6-10" of snow with some mixing for the I-95 corridor from Central Jersey to NYC?  Thought so.  This is not to say that the GFS is "correct" but it's certainly more likely to verify if these were the only choices, i.e., if anyone says to "toss the GFS" (without some really good reasoning, we may have to crack some skulls, lol.  Hopefully, reality is somewhere more towards the slightly outrageous NAM.

TBF, in this sort of set up with this sort of antecedent airmass, the GFS is in its own way showing an equally anomalous solution. It basically requires capture and occlusion at a very low latitude.

This logic makes no sense.  What's more common, 30+" in the DC/B'more area, or not?  The GFS shows that.

What's more common in winter around here? The NAM and 2-3 feet of snow or the GFS and 6-10" of snow with some mixing for the I-95 corridor from Central Jersey to NYC? Thought so. This is not to say that the GFS is "correct" but it's certainly more likely to verify if these were the only choices, i.e., if anyone says to "toss the GFS" (without some really good reasoning, we may have to crack some skulls, lol. Hopefully, reality is somewhere more towards the slightly outrageous NAM.

While I agree that the long range NAM is absolutely terrible and 6-10" is more likely than 30-40", how often does the central VA area receive 2-3 feet of snow whole NYC ends up with a sloppy 4-8"? Fun times ahead

This logic makes no sense.  What's more common, 30+" in the DC/B'more area, or not?  The GFS shows that.

Your point is a good one, but my logic is sound, for what I said.  I didn't say anything about what the models showed before their output for our area.  My only point was that to "expect" 2-3 feet and assume that model output is more likely to be correct than model output showing 8" of snow is illogical, since probabilisticaly speaking, obviously 8" is a far more likely outcome than 30".  The main point was that very often people with snow goggles on will want to dismiss the models that show the least snowy solutions, without good reasoning.  Didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry.  

Can someone explain the difference between the regular and 4k NAM? They seem a bit different with storm/precip position

Grid spacing (resolution). The NAM runs with 12 km grids (small resolution it uses to incorporate mesoscale features) where as the 4km uses a resolution of 4km. Ultra high resolution and used to pinpoint mesoscale banding and convective elements that the 12km Nam itself cannot see due to a lack of resolution .

Anyone else seeing the hi res models capture scenario vs the global lower res slp escaping quickly game here?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Been seeing that for two days now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived