PNSLWX
DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-501-502-VAZ025>031-
036>040-042-050>057-501>504-WVZ050>053-055-501>506-180658-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
158 PM EST SUN JAN 17 2016

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 12
HOURS FOR THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION.
APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS
SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/LWX

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MARYLAND

...ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY...
BWI AIRPORT 0.1 100 PM 1/17 AIRPORT
3 SE CAPE ST. CLAIRE T 1153 AM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE

...BALTIMORE COUNTY...
CATONSVILLE 0.1 1242 PM 1/17 PUBLIC

...CALVERT COUNTY...
2 WSW SAINT LEONARD 0.3 1218 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
SOLOMONS 0.1 1045 AM 1/17 PUBLIC
CHESAPEAKE BEACH T 1110 AM 1/17 PUBLIC

...CHARLES COUNTY...
LA PLATA T 1048 AM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...HOWARD COUNTY...
2 N COLUMBIA 0.2 1230 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
1 NW ELLICOTT CITY 0.2 153 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...
GERMANTOWN 0.1 134 PM 1/17 PUBLIC
GAITHERSBURG 0.1 116 PM 1/17 PUBLIC
DAMASCUS 0.1 1244 PM 1/17 COUNTY EMRG MGMT
BETHESDA T 1110 AM 1/17 BROADCAST MEDIA

...ST. MARYS COUNTY...
RIDGE 2.0 1244 PM 1/17 PUBLIC
SAINT INIGOES 0.9 1149 AM 1/17 PUBLIC
3 ESE PARK HALL 0.8 105 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
2 NE BUSHWOOD 0.2 1246 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

VIRGINIA

...ARLINGTON COUNTY...
REAGAN NATIONAL AIRP 0.2 106 PM 1/17 AIRPORT

...AUGUSTA COUNTY...
FISHERSVILLE 0.3 1018 AM 1/17 PUBLIC

...CITY OF ALEXANDRIA...
2 E ALEXANDRIA T 130 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...CITY OF HARRISONBURG...
HARRISONBURG 0.1 1041 AM 1/17 PUBLIC

...CITY OF MANASSAS...
MANASSAS T 1222 PM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE

...CULPEPER COUNTY...
CULPEPER 0.3 1204 PM 1/17 PUBLIC

...FAIRFAX COUNTY...
1 NNE BURKE 0.1 1257 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
SPRINGFIELD T 1016 AM 1/17 PUBLIC
VIENNA T 1120 AM 1/17 CO-OP OBSERVER
FALLS CHURCH T 1105 AM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE

...FAUQUIER COUNTY...
1 W GREENWICH 0.1 126 PM 1/17 OTHER FEDERAL
1 SE BROKEN HILL T 1057 AM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE

...LOUDOUN COUNTY...
DULLES INTERNATIONAL 0.1 100 PM 1/17 AIRPORT

...ORANGE COUNTY...
THORNHILL 0.7 1243 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY...
1 S CHANCELLORSVILLE T 952 AM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

**********************24 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 24 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MARYLAND

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...
FROSTBURG 0.3 700 AM 1/17 CO-OP OBSERVER

WEST VIRGINIA

...GRANT COUNTY...
BAYARD 0.2 700 AM 1/17 CO-OP OBSERVER

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravens was the honey badger for not giving a f what the haters were saying. Earned a little street cred. Not a big event but certainly more than snow showers and as sad as it is the biggest event of the season in the MA. Been steady light snow here for a couple hours. Coating on trees, grass, mulch, etc. Decent snow tv in a subpar winter up to this point.

But nobody said it wouldn't snow though?

The narrative on this issue is bizarre.

It really is.   I'm sitting here laughing but at the same time like...did I miss something?  I mean, we all pretty much knew it was going to do exactly what it's doing now...there was no surprise NW tick...models handled this like most of us thought.   But whatever.  

But nobody said it wouldn't snow though?

This was called a northern stream mess"Flurries and snow showers". It was not the case the coastal coming NW proved to be much more of a influence and that's why many people have had snow for 3-5 hours now steady. I also said the eastern shore would do amazing and they are in this years standard. OC and Salis have more snow on the year now then us lol. Salis is going over 3 inches and OC has over 1.5 Cambridge is over 1 and Easton is at .5 For all intensive purposes this Storms north trend was alive and well. This was not a northern stream mess And i Even in bel air have a white ground bellow freezing temps and white tree's snow is even starting to stick to the ground. This was not what was said to be on here. I said this was coming NW and that's exactly what it did. this went from Bermuda to 100-200 miles off the coast of VA. I am not gloating or anything Just sayin today was NOT flurries or snow showers this was a steady snow that accumulated 

Denial is for fantasy seekers. Nobody was discussing hours of steady, light snow. Ravens well may have been another good poster run off by the negative nellies and model worshipprts Hang around and offer your views. The models do get it right when the pattern is repetitive but like a few of us said, with what they have been doing lately our first snow would likely not be predicted by them

My first recordable snow of the season. By that I mean I don't record if I don't have a quarter inch. I have at least that if not working towards half. I guess I should take down my stats from last winter now in my signature.

Yeah, same, if it's less than .3 it's just a trace

This was called a northern stream mess"Flurries and snow showers". It was not the case the coastal coming NW proved to be much more of a influence and that's why many people have had snow for 3-5 hours now steady. I also said the eastern shore would do amazing and they are in this years standard. OC and Salis have more snow on the year now then us lol. Salis is going over 3 inches and OC has over 1.5 Cambridge is over 1 and Easton is at .5 For all intensive purposes this Storms north trend was alive and well. This was not a northern stream mess And i Even in bel air have a white ground bellow freezing temps and white tree's snow is even starting to stick to the ground. This was not what was said to be on here. I said this was coming NW and that's exactly what it did. this went from Bermuda to 100-200 miles off the coast of VA. I am not gloating or anything Just sayin today was NOT flurries or snow showers this was a steady snow that accumulated

You did great and there is a well known and frequent history here of those that got it wrong trying to massage it to not being wrong

I recall several "Stormtracker Bus rides" over the years...Some were great rides and some simply went over a cliff.  Over the past several days Ravens94 has taken all of us on a little VW van ride.  Perhaps not the prettiest ride, but well worth the trip this year!  Even yesterday "Stormtracker" was telling Ravens94 to "give it up".  Ravens never promised a big storm, just a little surprise which is exactly what we have, IMO.  Next time nay sayers should leave it with, "Have a nice ride." and allow those on the mini-van to enjoy the trip even if it ends out brown.

Archived