Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

21 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

It could be a lot worse, but EURO is close enough to Baton Rouge to cause some real trouble yet again.

edit: wow, lots of places along that westward track would definitely not appreciate all the extra rain. Cotton has been hit hard in TX from what I've read because of the rain they've had already.

It's completely unscientific but I'm still waiting for the turn to the north nearly everything eventually takes. Maybe tomorrow's flight will have more information if they go ahead with it. Would be nice to start narrowing down the list of likely "winners" out of this one.

If this thing pans out, there are no winners in the game.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

If this thing pans out, there are no winners in the game.

:lol:  The only thing we know is we don't know :lol:     First it needs to get a west wind, then it needs to miss shredderola island and the dry air just to its west. It's not in any hurry to go anywhere fast, so there's plenty of time to wait and watch ;)  

48 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

:lol:  The only thing we know is we don't know :lol:     First it needs to get a west wind, then it needs to miss shredderola island and the dry air just to its west. It's not in any hurry to go anywhere fast, so there's plenty of time to wait and watch ;)  

My point being - no one "wins" with a 'Cane.

4 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

My point being - no one "wins" with a 'Cane.

That depends.....there could be "winners" if it dumps enough slow and steady rain to remove area(s) from extreme drought  :P     ( I totally understand your point ;)  )  

My point was to remind everyone that this area of disturbed weather hasn't even formed a low level circulation yet, so take these current model runs with a LARGE grain of salt. Track in the short term will be close to correct, but as for track or intensity past a couple of days.......naso much confidence there :)  

It's true no one truly wins with a hurricane - the closest I've seen to it was growing up in TX and having a system that was still remotely tropical come through a few times for some serious drought relief. But this isn't like that.

If nothing else it's something to track, and see whether it goes poof around Hispaniola like the ones in the last few years did.

I think 2 things to focus on now.

• Will it stay north of Hispanola?  If it plows through the middle of it, all bets are off as far as a strong landfalling cane.
  • If it develops faster than projected, it will likely be on the right side of guidance.  If development is slower than projected, it will more likely be to the left of guidance. 

TW

30 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

Does anyone have an update from 00z Euro?

TW

The Euro doesn't break down the large ridge over the east as quick as previous runs, which in turn shoves the storm further west. Makes landfall around the TX/LA border as a substantial storm. Once inland it moves north through Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois.

41 minutes ago, Disc said:

The Euro doesn't break down the large ridge over the east as quick as previous runs, which in turn shoves the storm further west. Makes landfall around the TX/LA border as a substantial storm. Once inland it moves north through Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois.

Only about 900 miles landfall difference between the 2am GFS run. Models will start to converge... someday.

25 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Both UKMET and EURO coming east today,coming in close to the Tampa,Big Bend area.

Any storm that follows that track will either have a small compact core of high winds that affects a small area or be a big sloppy weak mess ( I would guess option 2) .....rainfall would be biggest threat by far and that would mostly be on the east side.....

7 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Any storm that follows that track will either have a small compact core of high winds that affects a small area or be a big sloppy weak mess ( I would guess option 2) .....rainfall would be biggest threat by far and that would mostly be on the east side.....

Yeah, Euro with 983mb at "landfall"....yawn. I love how much spread is on the EPS and people are hanging on every run on the Euro...this is worse than winter weenies. haha

13 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah, Euro with 983mb at "landfall"....yawn. I love how much spread is on the EPS and people are hanging on every run on the Euro...this is worse than winter weenies. haha

Yeah kinda hard to get excited about the "Euro" when it changes 300-400 miles every run....not being the "king" right now.....its being just like all the others lol....basically we are back at square one in the don't have a damn clue dept as far as where 99L is gonna go and how big and bad it will be.

Looks like the 12z EPS trying to put it into LA on the mean.. some weak mess possibly.

But with that said, the spread is still split across the entire gulf area with some creepers trying to creep up through Florida etc.   - In other words, no freakin' clue.

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Looks like the 12z EPS trying to put it into LA on the mean.. some weak mess possibly.

But with that said, the spread is still split across the entire gulf area with some creepers trying to creep up through Florida etc.   - In other words, no freakin' clue.

Until we get a dominant center and the models get a handle on ridge strength and location it is pretty much a toss up....lets see if the 18Z GFS does anything different...

Archived