Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, packbacker said:

Take it FWIW but the 4km NAM hasn't been excited about TD9 until the 6z and now 12 runs.  Not sure if something got ingested...never really trust the 4km NAM after about 30 hours anyways but 

The GFS and Euro bring it inland and then ENE off the FL or SC coast.  The CMC keeps it inland longer and gives plenty of rain to SC and the eastern 2/3 of NC.  The Navy brings it inland, north, and then meanders it around.  I'd go with the Euro/GFS combo here.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The GFS and Euro bring it inland and then ENE off the FL or SC coast.  The CMC keeps it inland longer and gives plenty of rain to SC and the eastern 2/3 of NC.  The Navy brings it inland, north, and then meanders it around.  I'd go with the Euro/GFS combo here.

Yep, agree.  Euro was was a solid TS just west of Gainesville.  The next month might be the highlight of our model tracking for awhile...until next cane season.

Yeah TD9 apparently is gonna be a OTS storm after it exits Florida....the models also form a low off the NE coast of Fl as TD9 approaches the west coast of Florida and rides it right up the coast, the CMC has it the strongest but almost all models have some reflection of a low....its not TD8 either.....

16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Yep, agree.  Euro was was a solid TS just west of Gainesville.  The next month might be the highlight of our model tracking for awhile...until next cane season.

Saw that.

Hope the Euro is/was dead wrong!

Phil in Gainesville

None of the models really do much with TD 9 shear keeps it in check.....shouldnt be that bad some minor coastal issues and maybe some wind gust to 65 or so, would think that would be confined to the immediate coast but it depends on how well defined the center gets to how far inland it carries the potentially damaging gust... but it looks to be hauling ass by then so it should only take 6-8 hrs to cross Florida. Could be a lot worse....most models keep rainfall under 4-5 inches as well which they should be able to handle. 

This snip from NHC says it all really, this thing will be running into a wall of death as it nears Florida....

Vertical shear should remain modest
for the next couple of days, but begin to increase around 72 hours
as the environment becomes more baroclinic with strong upper-level
westerlies prevailing over northern Florida.  This is likely to
discourage significant strengthening as the cyclone nears landfall.
The official intensity forecast is close to the latest
statistical/dynamical LGEM guidance.

The South-East is prone to post September activity with how systems swing north late in the season.....Hazel, Opal, Mitch, Wilma, Ida, Sandy, etc. Sort of like winter, late February into early March usually brings something. I think saying after next months action we have to wait until next season is a bit...careless at this point in time. That's usually how the public views things and how we end up with "the one" natural disaster of the entire season.

1 hour ago, No snow for you said:

Here is the Arpege model (French). Remember it did well with our winter storms last year

GZ_D5_PN_066_0000.gif

So it came in weaker than the UK and Euro but nearly identical as to the location of landfall? It will be interesting to see if it verifies. Currently much further west than what the NHC is currently projecting. Will wait on update.

Euro brings a sub 980mb hurricane ashore near Tallahassee. Can't give up on these slowly meandering easterly waves. I told a follower 2 days ago that my best guess for this storm would be a Cat 2 hitting in between Tampa and Tallahassee. Euro seems to be consistently suggesting further development along with the Ukmet and others, so further intensification is almost imminent. If I lived on the west coast of FL, I would be paying very close attention.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Euro brings a sub 980mb hurricane ashore near Tallahassee. Can't give up on these slowly meandering easterly waves. I told a follower 2 days ago that my best guess for this storm would be a Cat 2 hitting in between Tampa and Tallahassee. Euro seems to be consistently suggesting further development along with the Ukmet and others, so further intensification is almost imminent. If I lived on the west coast of FL, I would be paying very close attention.

The real issue is the shear, its gonna need to be well organized and hauling ass IMO, otherwise the shear will wreck it.  Over the next 24-36 hrs though this thing could do just about anything, intensity forecasting is pretty meh and these things kinda do what they want when they have good conditions....looks to finally be consolidating, gonna be a rather big system too.                                                                                                                                                                                     

Looks like the recent forecasted tracks are putting it onshore near St Marks, but it also looks like it's slowing down some.  Looks like it isn't expected to pass over Tallahassee until overnight Friday morning now.  I'm hoping that allows me to get out on my 549 pm flight before the winds pick up too much.  I notice some of the modeling has it even further west, coming onshore nearer to Pensacola.

Archived