Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

I am amazed they have not reprogrammed the models to reflect this known fact. 

Budget cuts?

Here's my favorite from last night (although I can't see the precip total for the Navgem, which looks to be pretty robust, based on the track and precip max placement):

gem_apcpn_seus_12.png

12 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Looks like Hermine will make a run at cane strength today. 65mph winds and pressure at 992mb on the 8am update.

Needs to consolidate a center, they are not getting winds at the surface to match the pressure falls and FL winds..looks a bit better on the recent loops but still very one sided.....

25 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Question about the reliability of the HWRF (988 mb at landfall) and GFDL (968 mb) on intensity forecasts? Reliable? Toss 'em? 

As has been said, the HWRF is better as the GFDL gets overly excited about storms quite often. However, no individual model does very well with intensity guidance. The IVCN consensus outperforms any one model by quite a bit. As for models, last time I looked (it has been years) SHIPS did the best of any one model even though it's simply a statistical model.

16 minutes ago, Hvward said:

It will get its act together as the day progresses. Shear is relaxing a bit.

I dunno every time it looks like its finally gonna do something it fall apart a bit...its a weird storm for sure....already the cloud tops to the east of the center are warming, and the large storm complex looks to be breaking off so to speak.....wish we could see the CoC on radar.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/flash-rbtop-long.html

17 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I dunno every time it looks like its finally gonna do something it fall apart a bit...its a weird storm for sure....already the cloud tops to the east of the center are warming, and the large storm complex looks to be breaking off so to speak.....wish we could see the CoC on radar.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/flash-rbtop-long.html

models have been showing this, it is the convection finally wrapping around the center instead of blowing up to the east as it has done for the past few days.

16 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

models have been showing this, it is the convection finally wrapping around the center instead of blowing up to the east as it has done for the past few days.

Needs to hurry its got 10-12 hrs at best before landfall...I figure it runs out of time but they go ahead and call it a 75 mph hurricane, will be interesting to see if it can get the surface winds to match the pressure fall.....and a lot of times these weird lopsided type systems actually tighten up a bit after landfall....I really dont want 6-10" of rain though....we dont need or want it down here.

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Looks like 12z GFS will be around 998mb at landfall.

Edit: Odd, 997 after landfall. Meh, someone with better maps can tell more.

Yep...initialized at 1000 and it should have been 992'ish.  Track similar to 6z, but stronger than 6z.  Drenching for central-coastal NC/SC.

20 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It needs to roll about 30 miles to the west.  Either way, should be some good totals in southeastern NC.

30 miles farther northwest would be nice. Right now, my county is split in half with heavy rains in the southeast and maybe an inch where I am. Nothing much from the tropical system along or NW of I-85 in SC.

Some thoughts.

The last GFS run was a bit faster than the previous.

Hermine is finally starting to try and get wrapped up on latest satellite.

I would expect to see a Westward movement as this happens/land interaction.  Might not be a "huge" amount but should put some areas on the edge (currently) into more rain.

Just now, jshetley said:

30 miles farther northwest would be nice. Right now, my county is split in half with heavy rains in the southeast and maybe an inch where I am. Nothing much from the tropical system along or NW of I-85 in SC.

About the same here...I'm right on the line...30 or 40 miles further northwest  means the difference between an inch and 4 or 5 inches..not to mention the likely hood of stronger gusts underneath the stronger convection. I had hope yesterday when we saw that shift...but that's why one run doesn't make a trend and shouldn't be taken as a certainty...even if the majority trend the same way. I hate these systems where tiny shifts has such huge consequinces since more often than not it ends up being a near miss.

Archived