joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep a eye on what the models do with the low south of Bermuda, I think that area is whats left of Fiona actually.....NHC has it now as well.....models dont do much with,some shear and dry air around...but it could at least bring rain chances to eastern NC by early next week.....looks like crap right now though...

3. An area of disturbed weather, associated with a broad area of low
pressure, has formed a couple of hundred miles south of Bermuda.
Little motion is anticipated during the next two days, and a
slow westward heading should begin thereafter. Development of
this system, if any, is likely to be slow to occur due to this
system's proximity to dry air.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent

I imagine this will get some attention, and its actually not to far fetched given the overall setup in the tropical ATL and the wave coming off Africa right now....run the rest of this loop...but keep in mind once ashore on that track it wont be that strong inland.....I am sure the track is gonna move around a bunch as well....at least between this and 99L/91L we got stuff to track....folks in NC especially near the coast need to keep a eye on 91L its actually decent looking today at the surface but the shear should be enough to keep it in check.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2016082712&fh=228

91L vis loop

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/91L/flash-vis-long.html

Outer Banks have to watch out for a tropical storm now. Just yesterday it seemed like the chances of anything forming would be very low. And looks like business is really picking up in the tropics. Models don't seem to have a handle on things and are all over the place with these tropical systems just as bad as they are with winter storm systems here. 

8 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Outer Banks have to watch out for a tropical storm now. Just yesterday it seemed like the chances of anything forming would be very low. And looks like business is really picking up in the tropics. Models don't seem to have a handle on things and are all over the place with these tropical systems just as bad as they are with winter storm systems here. 

Models typically have a hard time with tropical systems, and there is always decent run to run differences especially prior to formation and then after 72 hrs or so....its rare that the tracks of a system are locked in around the US coastlines....usually the only time they are stable is further east out in the MDR.....the tropical storm warnings are for offshore waters there are NO tropical storm warnings for the OBX. 

Not sure why so much talk about the tropics on social media...yea several interests to watch...but the pattern doesn't support some of the model track/intensity solutions showing a constant inland track into the South-East like with Hugo or Ivan.

This is just the usual peak time of the season. Like in the winter when it has a widespread 1-2 feet of snow for much of the South-East its still not supported by the upper level pattern as we get closer. I guess what I am saying is just expect the usual tropical rains for eastern NC and the GOM areas closer to Florida for now.

This is why I like the regional boards better for tropics there is less hype. We need a storm to actually form and be within the 5 day forecast before getting excited. I'm not saying to let your guard down but more often than not the strongest most impacting storm doesn't align with the "peak of the season" or "social media hype". I believe in the research papers suggesting the seasons are getting longer and possibly stronger near the end than the beginning/middle....think Sandy. Don't put all of your cards into one huge dog we all know it doesn't work that way. 

On 8/26/2016 at 2:00 PM, Morris said:

HWRF. No comment.

That's used for storms that are bit more organized and well defined. It's one of the best tropical intensity models. However, in this case its pretty much useless and has a known bias for over doing it for weaker less defined tropical entities according to the NHC.

17 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Not sure why so much talk about the tropics on social media...yea several interests to watch...but the pattern doesn't support some of the model track/intensity solutions showing a constant inland track into the South-East like with Hugo or Ivan.

This is just the usual peak time of the season. Like in the winter when it has a widespread 1-2 feet of snow for much of the South-East its still not supported by the upper level pattern as we get closer. I guess what I am saying is just expect the usual tropical rains for eastern NC and the GOM areas closer to Florida for now.

This is why I like the regional boards better for tropics there is less hype. We need a storm to actually form and be within the 5 day forecast before getting excited. I'm not saying to let your guard down but more often than not the strongest most impacting storm doesn't align with the "peak of the season" or "social media hype". I believe in the research papers suggesting the seasons are getting longer and possibly stronger near the end than the beginning/middle....think Sandy. Don't put all of your cards into one huge dog we all know it doesn't work that way. 

Says the guy who posted a winter weather out look in august with no scientific information to back it up

Archived