Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jon said:

Yeah, Euro with 983mb at "landfall"....yawn. I love how much spread is on the EPS and people are hanging on every run on the Euro...this is worse than winter weenies. haha

5 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah kinda hard to get excited about the "Euro" when it changes 300-400 miles every run....not being the "king" right now.....its being just like all the others lol....basically we are back at square one in the don't have a damn clue dept as far as where 99L is gonna go and how big and bad it will be.

That does sound like tracking a snow storm here.

2 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

This may not make it overnight even. 40kt sheer is destroying this. 

I think it's managing to hold it's own (for now at least) despite the 40kts of shear. If it can manage to hang in til about past 70W the wind shear decreases in half down to around 20kts. Still moderately hostile, but doable for it to organize. It's hard to tell for sure on vis. satellite, but the center looks like it may be roughly around 20N, 66.3W.

wg8shr.GIF

So people are already throwing in the towel on this?? Has everybody forgotten that the Euro, and several other models progged this would be weak/disorganized all the way until the Bahamas/GOM? 

Note: Not saying this will turn into anything... Just saying it's not smart to throw in the towel when this thing was progged to be weak for several days beyond now.

To go with the weak system/non system discussion here are some 12z forecasts from the EPS:

Key: Strength , Member Count (of 51)

1000mb+ - 18

990 - 999mb - 15

980-989mb - 15

970-979 mb- 3

Worst member is 959mb with nothing between 959-970mb!

With this in mind as of 12z EPS, the basic idea would be a storm between 985-1000mb+.  I am still tracking this because I am in dire need of rain here in SC.  Not holding much hope out now... but if it can stay weaker and let the ridge possibly break down by being slower, we could get some good rains into GA/SC/parts of NC.  Florida looks a bit rainy regardless, just can't pinpoint the winner areas yet.

Edit: I see I miscounted one?  Maybe a control.. but still the idea is a weak system as of 12z.  

00z Euro likely making landfall around the big bend at 972-975mb range.  Closer to 975 from newer frames and coming into Southern GA at 979.

- Bringing good rains for GA/SC (big chunk of the states) so far, but likely a tornado risk out ahead with the way it's moving.. including the SC Midlands, Southern GA, Coastal SC (worst looking).  Anyways, it will change, lets get a circulation going before getting too detailed!

Models are struggling to see where the low pressure goes once it reaches Hispaniola. Euro and GFS both keep this easterly wave north of the island. Current satellite though suggests 99L is redeveloping to the south of the island. IMO still wayyy to far out to make any assumptions with this one, but a decent environment awaits in the Gulf with the chance for RI. Anywhere from Houston to Miami is still in play at this point. Today will be interesting day, lets see which side of the island the LP decides to reform on, then the models with get a better handle of if it will even intensify and where it will go.

Not gonna cut it. Northern portion is completely sheered and column is now decoupled even more.  Cuba is going to kill this low pressure.

If this system were a cat 3 or 4 then I would agree with you, but a weak easterly wave will not be effected nearly as much.. Can't rule out intensification following its exit from the island. Climatologically speaking

Saw this post from WRAL's Greg Fishel on Facebook.
Greg Fishel
5 mins ·

JUST BECAUSE MODELS MAKE 10 DAY FORECASTS DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE WORTH MORE THAN A HILL OF BEANS

When the best global weather model in the world shifts its landfall position of a potential tropical system several hundred miles in 12 hours, only to radically shift back in another 12 hours, while yet another global model doesn't develop the system at all, there is one screaming message-WE DONT KNOW!!! And ya know what? That's ok. No one will die today from a fictitious hurricane 7-10 days out. We've got time, so instead of picking out the ever changing worst case scenario, and focusing on it at the expense of the many more weaker solutions, let's just all take a deep breath and see what happens. And if the worst case scenario does play out, there will be chest beaters who claim they were the first to call it. But as my good friend Kermit Keeter (retired National Weather Service) told me long ago, "I'd rather be right than first".

36 minutes ago, packbacker said:

People are just clutched on to 99L like its the last wave we are going go see. This was always going to be dying wave...Euro not done caving.

Lots of people been trashing the GFS.

Safe to say the Euro has moved much more towards the GFS than vice versa...GFS has been pretty much minimal to no storm from 99L the last several days at least .....CMC did end up forming it up and moving west to the TX/LA border but that's got to be a bad run as its completely different than everything else.....

1 hour ago, franklin NCwx said:

But... But.. The Euro is king.

The Euro has gone downhill the last few years.  I'm sure someone will whip out the verification stats now, though!

It would be interesting to see how the Euro performs wrt tropics and winter now as compared to 2-3 years ago.

Archived