joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to wait its turn with all of the other NCEP development work being done on the supercomputer, so the time at which it gets into the queue can vary, but graphics for the 12z cycle on the magpara.ncep.noaa.gov site usually become available in the late afternoon.

I went to the site... and click model guidance... I do not see it

you don't see the GFS at all on that page?   I didn't think that this site is limited to NCEP, but perhaps someone else can comment if they can see it.

Or did you mean that you can't see the 12z cycle which hasn't finished running yet?

I went to the site... and click model guidance... I do not see it

Anyone know, for sure, how well the EURO verifies in a super NINO?

I can tell you from the verification scores and talking with the medium range forecasters at WPC that the op EC hasn't been as good as one would expect over the last month, as it has quite often deviated significantly from the EC ens mean after day 4-5. The GFS was much better with the central U.S. snow (and heavy rainfall over the MS. Valley) around Christmas. TIFWIW.

I can tell you from the verification scores and talking with the medium range forecasters at WPC that the op EC hasn't been as good as one would expect over the last month, as it has quite often deviated significantly from the EC ens mean after day 4-5. The GFS was much better with the central U.S. snow (and heavy rainfall over the MS. Valley) around Christmas. TIFWIW.

It's a double edged sword with the GFS when it comes to southern stream systems. In general it handles them better than the GFS, but occasionally it doesn't sample things as well over the pacific, hence why it is usually very good inside 72 hours but beyond that occasionally has hiccups

you don't see the GFS at all on that page?   I didn't think that this site is limited to NCEP, but perhaps someone else can comment if they can see it.

Or did you mean that you can't see the 12z cycle which hasn't finished running yet?

I see the models...  I also see the GFS... but I do not see the GFSX.

GEFS is pretty much 100% bad. The mean might look good but every single member that hugs the coast is too warm. The snowmaps are actually fairly illustrative of this....

Here's the 90 hour total snow map

omZ02yv.png

And here are the 850mb temps at 66hours, the critical time when most of the precip heads in....

meEE5AU.png

GEFS is pretty much 100% bad. The mean might look good but every single member that hugs the coast is too warm. The snowmaps are actually fairly illustrative of this....

Here's the 90 hour total snow map

omZ02yv.png

And here are the 850mb temps at 66hours, the critical time when most of the precip heads in....

meEE5AU.png

Pretty sure that threat is not the one focused on. It's the shortwave afterwards on the 17th.  The GEFS is pretty split but looks okay for that one.

Archived