• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

Justin badly misinterpreted the info.    Yes, NCEP has a new supercomputer system up and running now, but none of the operational models are running on it yet.   They all need to be converted to run in the new environment, and a lot of testing is needed before the models "go live" on the new system.   Even the GFS parallel is on the "old" system.

For anyone that follows Justin Berk on FB, he just posted an article from NOAA  about the recent GFS upgrade (dated 1-11-16) Thinks this weekend is a good test to see if the GFS has indeed passed up the Euro.  Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we really hoping the GFS is right versus every other model? I'm not bashing it, but it's an outlier at this point.

Well since there isn't really anything else to look @, yes we are....It is obviously an outlier, but the GFS has won battles in the past. Ask NYC about the Boxing day storm....48 hours out the EURO had flurries and the GFS was a blizzard. 

Looks like a dead ringer for '97/'98 at this point.

Be careful to remember there is more to weather then just our backyard. Plus a similar result of no snow can come from very different patterns. I was at penn state that winter and we had already had several significant snowstorms by now there. The ski resorts in New England were crushed that year also. Snowshoe to wisp did very well also. There are of course some pattern similarities but significant differences also.

No model had the precip with Fridays storm right until today so there's still hope for a dramatic change. Probably unlikely cause it's a challenging setup to get a storm to track far enough west due to reasons others have mentioned.

I was just thinking the same thing. Can one of our Euro people tell me what the Euro showed for Friday night at about 96-120 because what the gfs is showing is nothing like what it had at 120. I'm wondering now if we get any precip out of it (compared to what it had).

Archived