EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go to the first few posts in this thread, I think the EURO map shows a big time hit for us on Sunday. Seems the EURO is not immune to the 10 day phantom snowstorm. I will throw in the towel on this Sunday after tonights 0z run if the trend continues for the storm to slide east. I really don't consider the 18z runs to be as accurate as the 0 and 12z runs for the GFS.

If you go to the first few posts in this thread, I think the EURO map shows a big time hit for us on Sunday. Seems the EURO is not immune to the 10 day phantom snowstorm. I will throw in the towel on this Sunday after tonights 0z run if the trend continues for the storm to slide east. I really don't consider the 18z runs to be as accurate as the 0 and 12z runs for the GFS.[/quot

Nott true...by I like where you are going with this..0z or die

If you go to the first few posts in this thread, I think the EURO map shows a big time hit for us on Sunday. Seems the EURO is not immune to the 10 day phantom snowstorm. I will throw in the towel on this Sunday after tonights 0z run if the trend continues for the storm to slide east. I really don't consider the 18z runs to be as accurate as the 0 and 12z runs for the GFS.

I am 100% agreement with you!

Is the 84 hr h5 NAM negative tilt? Just trying to learn the tilt stuff... nothing else lol... it looks like its neutral tilt at 78 when it crosses the Mississippi River

Yoda, it's really easy. Just connect the dots at the lowest point of each isobar at the bottom of the vort and draw a line. If the line is 12 noon it's neutral. Morning is negative and afternoon is positive.

9am is usually associated with a phase and capture. And 2pm is usually associated with a sheared disaster. LOL.

Is the 84 hr h5 NAM negative tilt? Just trying to learn the tilt stuff... nothing else lol... it looks like its neutral tilt at 78 when it crosses the Mississippi River

No, that's a neutral trough.  If you look at the image I edited below of the 84H NAM, the red line runs through the base of the trough.  Since the line is vertical, the trough is neutral.  The purple trough I drew is negative as you can see the green line running through it runs NW to SW.  The light blue line in the southwest is running NE to SW, showing a positive trough.  I think that's right. ;)

post-3516-0-78708100-1452741132_thumb.pn

Yoda, it's really easy. Just connect the dots at the lowest point of each isobar at the bottom of the vort and draw a line. If the line is 12 noon it's neutral. Morning is negative and afternoon is positive.

9am is usually associated with a phase and capture. And 2pm is usually associated with a sheared disaster. LOL.

That makes sense... thank you.  I will keep that in mind next time I look at the h5 charts

ETA: And thanks nj2va as well

CORRECT

No, that's a neutral trough.  If you look at the image I edited below of the 84H NAM, the red line runs through the base of the trough.  Since the line is vertical, the trough is neutral.  The purple trough I drew is neutral as you can see the green line running through it runs NW to SW.  The light blue line in the southwest is running NE to SW, showing a positive trough.  I think that's right. ;)

No, that's a neutral trough. If you look at the image I edited below of the 84H NAM, the red line runs through the base of the trough. Since the line is vertical, the trough is neutral. The purple trough I drew is neutral as you can see the green line running through it runs NW to SW. The light blue line in the southwest is running NE to SW, showing a positive trough. I think that's right. ;)

Purple trough/green line is negative, no?

Yoda, you've heard the rule of thumb that you don't want a vort to go negative west of the MS. You may know this but for those who don't, the point where a vort or trough goes negative is also typically the same point a storm wants to really start gaining latitude. Too early and you get a west track. Other imortant factors determine how quick and how much latitude is gained (confluence, strength of hp, blocking etc). But when you see a neg tilt or close off west of the MS river it usually means big trouble for snow chances.

The euro today was a prime example. It dug and closed off h5 way early and that sucker rolled right on up the ms valley. At range the euro has a habit of doing that so I didn't blink an eye.

There's some northern stream energy sliding through even though the slp is unfavorable. Euro also has the ns energy. I guess a car topper could be considered a win either way.

The PV dropping in is just too strong to have much if any chance for a good storm track.

we have no luck or bad luck. We are good at saying next though

Archived