joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever (-)NAO we have isn't doing its thing.

Storm aren't modeled with impressive phasing and with any slow turn

up the coast. Once again anything promising is ten days out.

Now we seem down to the 25 days from 1-20 to about 2-15.

Seems like only normal to slightly above normal in the 10 to 15 day range, as the Pacific looks to overwhelm yet again. As Don suggested the big rise in the SOI and its relationship to ridging over SE Canada.

History repeating itself,  in so far that we do not do well in very strong El Ninos in these parts , with only a exception storm every once in awhile.

I heard talk as well about forcing in the Pacific changing, as as well as the hoped for El Nino weakening not occurring. If anything , as many have mentioned already,  it's holding its own.  

If we have a favorable period, it will most likely be in my opinion after the reshuffle and the warm up. Seems later Feb and into early March may be quite the ending to winter in terms of significant snowfalls. If things line up it could be a very stormy and cold period for a two week , maybe three week stretch.

Why are people comparing this weekend to Jan 30? That storm wasn't missed. It was modeled for days to rip the southern mid Atlantic all the way up to about Harrisonburg. In the last 24 the models moved some of the heavier precip up about 150 miles. Not 750.

in balto sat forecast was for sunny skies highs in mid 20, kocin even said storm was progged out to sea, there was mno mention of the storm on friday night news cast, I was graduating from high school that year,. remember it crystal clear

Why are people comparing this weekend to Jan 30? That storm wasn't missed. It was modeled for days to rip the southern mid Atlantic all the way up to about Harrisonburg. In the last 24 the models moved some of the heavier precip up about 150 miles. Not 750.

weenies going to weenie

Just a huge lolz from the Baltimore Sun this AM:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bal-wx-sunday-brings-next-chance-for-seasons-first-measurable-snow-20160113-story.html

Desperately needed up here - a northern beltway version of CWG...

Pretty bad. At least the "clipper" option is mentioned. lol. If we do see snow in the air Sunday, it would likely come from something embedded in the northern stream with the frontal passage.

the storm track was similar and presented by a met

NO IT WASN'T.

It was a storm that slid across Tennessee and the Va/NC border.

This time we are talking about trying to get a storm in the deep southeast to turn the corner and ride the coast.  They aren't even close to being the same thing.

Whether the modeling missed it or not in 1966, what will happen with this weekend's "event" is not remotely comparable. Its a weak, sheared shortwave with no chance of producing a blizzard, or even a major winter storm.

I thought we were talking about 2010!!

LOLOL.

If so, count this as my apology.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was just stunned we might get an inch from Arctic front. My eggs in that basket for now.

I think the same way. I mean yea, I watch the stuff way out there but I don't invest much at all until we get close enough in time to really understand the pros and cons. We're at least 3 days away before that discussion. My wag is it tracks to our west. Not the best ens mean h5 setup for an easy under us.

For all we know we get a midweek wave that amplifies enough to give us another minor event. That possibility probably deserves more attention than next weekend.

I think the same way. I mean yea, I watch the stuff way out there but I don't invest much at all until we get close enough in time to really understand the pros and cons. We're at least 3 days away before that discussion. My wag is it tracks to our west. Not the best ens mean h5 setup for an easy under us.

For all we know we get a midweek wave that amplifies enough to give us another minor event. That possibility probably deserves more attention than next weekend.

Would take anything. The only snow I have seen this year was north of Vegas in November when I was there for work. Go figure.

GFS just moved the first system over 300 miles west this run. Big shifts can still happen. GFS moved the first wave east only to bring it back into the picture. happens all the time. tons of time for the horrible trend to reverse itself. energy still hasn't really been sampled yet

post-12800-0-76641600-1452787120_thumb.g

post-12800-0-30035300-1452787121_thumb.g

GFS just moved the first system over 300 miles west this run. Big shifts can still happen. GFS moved the first wave east only to bring it back into the picture. happens all the time. tons of time for the horrible trend to reverse itself. energy still hasn't really been sampled yet

the problem with system 1 isn't whether it is west, or east, is it the great lakes low that is wrapping up all the cold air. system one is rainer unless that low gets out of the way.

system two is OTS as there is no block to keep it along the coast.

Archived