Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as it shows stormy weather, thats fine... no meh's allowed

I do not consider 8+ days... "stormy weather".  We have not had one chance at a storm when the models have gotten in the 5 day range.  We have been blessed the last couple of years and now we think our climo is one that gets 50 inches a year.

High res GGEM takes a 1006 over north TX. roughly 400 miles or so north of the GFS. The GFS was using the northern side before until it started forming the low in the gulf (Bottom image). the Lat the system takes will determine a lot. If it stays north and strong it will be easier to phase. also need it to be faster. GGEM is about 3 hours faster. GGEM GLB should be different given this. 

post-12800-0-37523500-1452788048_thumb.p

post-12800-0-19113900-1452788143_thumb.g

post-12800-0-64910700-1452788316_thumb.g

Seems to me that storm you all said was going to cut is now a coastal storm riding up the coast that will give portions of Western MD snow and ice. Also seems to me you all said it was going to far east yesterday and now its coming back west. Bipolar people 

I do not consider 8+ days... "stormy weather".  We have not had one chance at a storm when the models have gotten in the 5 day range.  We have been blessed the last couple of years and now we think our climo is one that gets 50 inches a year.

Not sure who you mean by "we", but I don't think anyone in this sub-forum seriously believes or expects that (unless you mean that tongue-in-cheek of course!).  Only if they're being ultra-weenie or joking.  Yes, we were quite fortunate the past two years in some ways; especially last year.  But it's not unreasonable to expect to produce at least something in a halfway decent pattern (which we've had for a couple of weeks now) as we get into the climatologically coldest time of the year.  Quite a run of bad luck to still be at essentially zero right now (other than the squalls the other evening), and seeing two possibilities slip through our fingers.

Seems to me that storm you all said was going to cut is now a coastal storm riding up the coast that will give portions of Western MD snow and ice. Also seems to me you all said it was going to far east yesterday and now its coming back west. Bipolar people 

You think Western MD is going to get significant snow and ice from this storm?  Seems like a longshot.  By the time the cold front gets through the batch of precip is moving out and it looks like NW flow/upslope only.   

Wasn't there another storm a week or two ago that the Euro suppressed and the GFS showed a  snowstorm? And then it's massive fail with Joaquin. Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part, but is there reason to believe the GFS is falling even farther behind? It has done decent with northern stream systems this winter I think.

I find this GFS run acceptable. 

Sure is a big hit....Good thing we don't need to lose sleep for another 100 hours or so

Is it trying to transfer at 198?  I know its way out there but just learning a little bit as we go

You think Western MD is going to get significant snow and ice from this storm?  Seems like a longshot.  By the time the cold front gets through the batch of precip is moving out and it looks like NW flow/upslope only.   

Never said significant snow. But ice and snow is truly a possibility in western MD west of 81 and in Some of the low valleys in PA some freezing rain is possible. then it turns into a snowstorm up north. This was supposed to be a cutter into the lakes with a transfer over or west of this region. It is now a coastal storm. Like i said it would be 6 days ago. People can misconstrue information all they want. i never said a blizzard or a massive snowstorm. i said places in northern MD had a shot Western MD is definitely game and so are portions of PA. I was the ONLY one here that said it would be going coastal and guess what it is and still is going to impact. its not going OTS its not going inland its a coastal storm. just a warmer storm Period 

Archived