• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

TO me, and I am much further south but there is always a warm nose that sneaks in sooner than modeled on lows to the west unless cold air is being replenished. 

Also not seeing the confluence Heisenberg speaks of. 

There was confluence 174-186 hours but it quickly moves out since there is no 50/50

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was confluence 174-186 hours but it quickly moves out since there is no 50/50

But there was no hp blocking lobe at least.

I agree with nj2va. We often get storms in a setup with flaws and a horseshoe thrown in. Otoh- we often blow really good setups because a black cat broke a mirror when walking in front of me while stepping on cracks the whole time.

agreed...I think we'll score something measurable by the end of the month. Might be that final week if not earlier..

Well I was thinking maybe the last hoorah feb 10ish to early march zone or so. Then again I'm hugging the weeklies a bit with more full relax which may never be totally realized if storms keep coming.

I'd think we can get something in this stretch still but I'm less confident than I was, that's for sure. The d9 event is actually probably one of the two legitimate ways to score at present.. the other is the go big phase job that was never a huge likelihood with MLK. Weak storm running into a cold air mass.. big regular storms are probably going to tend to be warm it would seem, at least right now. I have to agree with winterwxluvr on thoughts in this range though. There's too much going on to believe a whole lot about them. It's about as good as it would get right now which rarely is what we want at d9-10. But if we're chasing a small mixed event sure I could see that, if it's still looking ok at D3-5.

our luck would be getting a Mar 58 and nothing prior. :P (don't get me wrong, it would be cool, and sad but..)

Well I was thinking maybe the last hoorah feb 10ish to early march zone or so. Then again I'm hugging the weeklies a bit with more full relax which may never be totally realized if storms keep coming.

I'd think we can get something in this stretch still but I'm less confident than I was, that's for sure. The d9 event is actually probably one of the two legitimate chances to score at present.. the other is the go big phase job that was never a huge likelihood with MLK. Weak storm running into a cold air mass.. big regular storms are probably going to tend to be warm it would seem, at least right now. I have to agree with winterwxluvr on thoughts in this range though. There's too much going on to believe a whole lot about them. It's about as good as it would get right now which rarely is what we want at d9-10. But if we're chasing a small mixed event sure I could see that, if it's still looking ok at D3-5.

our luck would be getting a Mar 58 and nothing prior. :P (don't get me wrong, it would be cool, and sad but..)

Did we get any snow before mid February in 1958?

Did we get any snow before mid February in 1958?

DC had a 0.3 in Nov, a 11.4 in early Dec and a 0.6 within a few days after that. 0.3 in Jan from two tiny accum. Kind of a 09-10 type of winter maybe but not as snowy and more strong nino'y.

I'd think we can get something in this stretch still but I'm less confident than I was, that's for sure. The d9 event is actually probably one of the two legitimate ways to score at present.. the other is the go big phase job that was never a huge likelihood with MLK. Weak storm running into a cold air mass.. big regular storms are probably going to tend to be warm it would seem, at least right now. I have to agree with winterwxluvr on thoughts in this range though. There's too much going on to believe a whole lot about them. It's about as good as it would get right now which rarely is what we want at d9-10. But if we're chasing a small mixed event sure I could see that, if it's still looking ok at D3-5.

We seem to be on a heater late winter the last 2 and even 3 winters.  Of course I want a true legit HECS, and 1/20 - 2/20 is probably the window for that....

Given that we've had very little digital snow forecasts this winter, I thought I'd sense a bit more optimism after the 0z GFS.  People are pessimistic because there won't be a -AO/-NAO and therefore nothing will stop the storm cutting to the west.  But need I remind you: we're currently in a -AO/-NAO regime and still have storms cutting to our west.  

Given that we've had very little digital snow forecasts this winter, I thought I'd sense a bit more optimism after the 0z GFS.  People are pessimistic because there won't be a -AO/-NAO and therefore nothing will stop the storm cutting to the west.  But need I remind you: we're currently in a -AO/-NAO regime and still have storms cutting to our west.  

I think it's more that it's a d8-9 threat. I know moving inside d10 is big news but still.

GEFS looks pretty good for it fwiw.

Gefs is pretty supportive for a snow event d8-10. Typical long lead spread but looking pretty good right now. Hp to the north showing up quite well. I don't have access to mean snowfall plots but from what I can see on the members it's probably the highest mean of the year. PSU would approve.

(warning: may cause harm to those (95 and east)

Here's that event

tmZGgjI.png

And the whole run!  ;) (a lot of this is BS stuff that's like 1-2" a day for days but there is sort of a second consolidated item that passes)

VHsRRtV.png

Honestly, the storms that are about to hit us NEVER really showed a HP in a decent spot in the long range. This is the first storm all year that has a HP modeled this far out to be in the right spot. It doesn't look like it is going to be a classic snowstorm by any means, but if we can get 4-6" thump of snow I'd be ecstatic at this point.....and maybe it ends up bombing so I can road trip somewhere in the burbs. 

will this weekend be jan 30 ,66 blizzard redo?? players on the field?? the storm all models missed, badly!!!

Is this post forreal? Lol... My off brand smart phone probably has more computing that whatever it was they were using for numerical prediction in 1966.

Is this post forreal? Lol... My off brand smart phone probably has more computing that whatever it was they were using for numerical prediction in 1966.

still was missed, cant deny that!!! btw IBM 360-60 model was being used , at that time for forecast weather. At the time prettu sophistiocated computer, as carnegie mellon also used it for their computing classes and remote usage. And from what I hear blizz of 66 part of Kocins 1st book on NE snow storms, accord to Mr. Kocin, himself

Archived