joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the King would get on board.  But the GFS must be on to something, right?  It's not wavering.  Neither is the parallel run.  We can hope.

Probably beating a dead horse at this point but this is pehaps one of the more typical ways to get a snowstorm in a strong nino. Event blows up right in front and it follows into the cold air left behind.. plus the first becomes a 50/50ish feature. Block rotating down from Greenland to the west is also pretty classic. Need the Euro but this has the good.

In the GFS world, this is exactly what we'd want to see.     The parallel has a major upgrade to the data assimilation, and we'd hope that it might start to capture a tricky event like this sooner than the ops.

Just need to get the 12z Euro to buy in.

I wish the King would get on board.  But the GFS must be on to something, right?  It's not wavering.  Neither is the parallel run.  We can hope.

In the GFS world, this is exactly what we'd want to see.     The parallel has a major upgrade to the data assimilation, and we'd hope that it might start to capture a tricky event like this sooner than the ops.

What are the run times for the para?

Very true.  I suppose it also would not be good to see the GFS-x on its own with that type of solution.  The 12Z GFS ops took an even bigger step in the direction of the "x", just comparing it to the 06Z ops (which shunts the trough more to the east).  It would be nice to see the upgrades "validated" right away with such a system.  Of course, this could all easily "disappear" and be out to sea in the end, but for now we have to like this trend.  And yes, again, if only the Euro would be on board.  Even to show a nod in that direction at least.

Para gives us front end love with the d9-10 thing and then another coastal on the 27th. Model of the year nominee

I bet the Para is actually the old GFS that gave us blizzards starting in October and a guaranteed 18z 384 blizzard no matter what the pattern was

Archived