joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you guys really see now snow in January 2010? I remember there was a lull for a time but I swore there was at least 1 decent event in January

There was the January 30 event that everyone remembers of course.  But before the slight lull/thaw through the middle of the month, we did get a clipper in early January 2010 too, I recall.  Not a lot of snow from that, but it wasn't zip either.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but the first deal is so flawed that I'm not sure why you're so interested in it. Even with the 18z handing off earlier, the surface is cooked (freezing line in ny state) and 850's aren't really even close. I'm sure other levels have problems as well. The primary draws a huge bubble of warm air (relatively speaking) up the coast with no high pressure or confluence to resist it. It's a really bad setup. Even though it can trend colder there is virtually zero chance it will be a measurable snow event.

Can't agree with you here. Of course we are all back yard specific, but 850's here are 1-2 max and the surface is between 30-35 on Sat morning. I do t necessarily think there's a good chance but it's much higher than virtually zero.

18z GEFS mean not bad... 1002 SLP SE of HSE by about 200 miles... checking individ members now

Get that to tilt a bit more negative and we'd be in business; though we're entering the point where the OP is to be relied upon more than ensembles.  But I guess with this setup where the models (and ensembles) have been adjusting, it's still good to check the individual members too.  

Get that to tilt a bit more negative and we'd be in business; though we're entering the point where the OP is to be relied upon more than ensembles.  But I guess with this setup where the models (and ensembles) have been adjusting, it's still good to check the individual members too.  

Agree... ensemble mean makes me think that there will be quite a few "hits" in the individs... I usually like to use the ensembles until we are about 3 days out from an "event"

Damn. High risk wasn't kidding. Para is interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it certainly is!  Gets pretty decent precip up this way (relatively speaking) and that low is definitely closer in and more intense.  I'm mostly interested in the Friday/Saturday storm in terms of what impact it could have on this one, rather than getting some magical snow out of Fri/Sat.

Meh, the first threat is dead. Fully on the Bob train with that one. The second one is the one we should be looking at.

Haha....you and Bob go on down together then. :)

I don't want to be taken the wrong way here, I'm not planning on sledding Saturday, but I completely disagree that it's dead.

My opinion may change in about 6 hours tho.

For Sunday?  At this point I'd still think the ensembles have a bit more value than that.  That's still more in the medium range.  Though yes, the ops should be more useful than it would be farther out.

For Sunday?  At this point I'd still think the ensembles have a bit more value than that.  That's still more in the medium range.  Though yes, the ops should be more useful than it would be farther out.

Whoops, I think I'm getting my days confused with all these potential threats we're tracking.  Since this one isn't until Sunday, I'd agree that ensembles are probably still better right now.  But I thought once we're about 4 days out, the OP is favored so maybe tomorrow's 18z/Thursday 0z.

Whoops, I think I'm getting my days confused with all these potential threats we're tracking.  Since this one isn't until Sunday, I'd agree that ensembles are probably still better right now.  But I thought once we're about 4 days out, the OP is favored so maybe tomorrow's 18z/Thursday 0z.

No problem, it was a bit confusing to me as well.  Even the Sunday one is "on the fence" in terms of medium range, being ~5 days out now.

Can't agree with you here. Of course we are all back yard specific, but 850's here are 1-2 max and the surface is between 30-35 on Sat morning. I do t necessarily think there's a good chance but it's much higher than virtually zero.

I just looked at the text output and you're right it is a lot closer than I thought. Not sure but this may be as close as it will get. 

The NAM at 84 hours over Texas at 500 is fairly weak for NAM standards at 84 hours when there is a model showing a strong system developing at 120. The NAM depiction right now strongly argues to me the GFS is going to be wrong, but it's just one piece of evidence.

It seems to be a weak wave in bedded in the large circulation centered in southern Canada. Otoh, it is the NAM at 84 hours, a model whose reanalysis of past events can't be trusted. Lol

The NAM at 84 hours over Texas at 500 is fairly weak for NAM standards at 84 hours when there is a model showing a strong system developing at 120. The NAM depiction right now strongly argues to me the GFS is going to be wrong, but it's just one piece of evidence.

To suggest the NAM at 84 hours argues for anything other then the possible insanity of the one looking at it, is kinda silly

Archived