joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday-Saturday is dead... Sun afternoon into Mon morning is where its at ;)

Except that the Euro is probably right. :(

I'm going with the ULLs are always slower than modeled weeniesm for now. But there's still so many waves there's no real time for amplification anywhere.

Except that the Euro is probably right. :(

I'm going with the ULLs are always slower than modeled weeniesm for now. But there's still so many waves there's no real time for amplification anywhere.

Yeah... I am hoping for a claven for the late this weekend storm... I bet EURO piques our interest in tonights run.

We probably won't even know till Friday with all the s/w's around and all of the moving parts

Getting pretty close for our chances at h5 amping up enough to keep the low close to the coast. It's been a long shot so far either way.

If the gfs is right about the early storm, it's more evidence that it really doesn't want to snow anywhere on the east coast this winter. The words stubborn, consistent, and persistent come to mind.

Getting pretty close for our chances at h5 amping up enough to keep the low close to the coast. It's been a long shot so far either way.

If the gfs is right about the early storm, it's more evidence that it really doesn't want to snow anywhere on the east coast this winter. The words stubborn, consistent, and persistent come to mind.

The para euro seems to want to do something similar day 10 too...developing a low along the coast, and if you look at the h5 it would seem good, but there is no cold because of a lead wave into the lakes.  Same setup again. 

At the same time I gotta lol.

OV90o39.png

I mean come on already who in this forum has EVER SEEN a 971mb low in that position with rain all around it in all quadrants really.... I remember a low in April that bombed that low that sent the freezing line crashing through PHL and Media here 13 miles northwest of the city got 4" of snow in an hour with 55mph wind gusts!!!

The para euro seems to want to do something similar day 10 too...developing a low along the coast, and if you look at the h5 it would seem good, but there is no cold because of a lead wave into the lakes. Same setup again.

Now, what's causing this trend to repeat itself, though? Just bad luck or is it something to do with the Nino?

Now, what's causing this trend to repeat itself, though? Just bad luck or is it something to do with the Nino?

I think its definitely nino related.  The pac jet is on roids and its blasting across the CONUS.  Everytime it sends a vort across it raises the heights ahead of it and brings milder pac air with it.  Both push the baroclinic zone north.  It also interferes with the STJ developing and amplifying, and it pushes any high pressures out quickly.  All of that interferes with our snow chances.  As I have said before the reason for hope is the jet should relax some as we get later in winter naturally...maybe that helps. 

I also think the speed and frequency of these vorts coming across prevents anything from digging enough to get under us

So perhaps a dry week without vorts (I assume you mean storms (Not quite versed in the terminology, lol) may help things? Or perhaps we need to get past the current pattern (as good as it normally is for us it's obviously not functioning the same way) and hope for a reset in February...

correct 

The para euro seems to want to do something similar day 10 too...developing a low along the coast, and if you look at the h5 it would seem good, but there is no cold because of a lead wave into the lakes.  Same setup again. 

It's nice to see the gfs d9 solution. Not remotely implying that it's correct but it is similar to some of the snowy euro ens solutions. Just enough hp to the north and enough dig to start things off in a better spot than MO etc.

Pretty ideal with the 500mb passage.. and an actual real ridge signal out west. The blocking configuration ('bootleg' or not) is too good up ahead to give up hope until it's forced upon you. And it seems the coastal train is coming alive. Could be worse.

the   models a few days ago  showed negative tilt  on the southern stream s/w  over the Miss  valley  which is 
WHY the   development of the PRIMARY Low     reaches 992 mb  and makes it as far North as BUF    

this  the  kiss of death --   especially  with No   hint of  a COLD HIGH...    and  one of the reason I turned skeptical  on  Sunday

I mean come on already who in this forum has EVER SEEN a 971mb low in that position with rain all around it in all quadrants really.... I remember a low in April that bombed that low that sent the freezing line crashing through PHL and Media here 13 miles northwest of the city got 4" of snow in an hour with 55mph wind gusts!!!

I have   

many times 

the models a few days ago showed negative tilt on the southern stream s/w over the Miss valley which is

WHY the development of the PRIMARY Low reaches 992 mb and makes it as far North as BUF

this the kiss of death -- especially with No hint of a COLD HIGH... and one of the reason I turned skeptical on Sunday

I have

many times

Do you see any sign of the Jet relaxing and the ridge building?

Gefs actually looks really good for the d9-10 thing. Nice hp on the means and favored track is across the deep south and up the coast.

I'm sure some discrete feature will screw it up but looks half decent at range.

I feel better with that event up north of 40N. I think it has a chance of being a classic snow to rain in NYC and Boston where they might get several inches before changing over but those events generally don't work out well in DC

Archived