joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS improving all around at 500mb and surface. love it. everyone the past few days here has been looking too far in advance when there is 2 threats so close.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but the first deal is so flawed that I'm not sure why you're so interested in it. Even with the 18z handing off earlier, the surface is cooked (freezing line in ny state) and 850's aren't really even close. I'm sure other levels have problems as well. The primary draws a huge bubble of warm air (relatively speaking) up the coast with no high pressure or confluence to resist it. It's a really bad setup. Even though it can trend colder there is  virtually zero chance it will be a measurable snow event. 

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but the first deal is so flawed that I'm not sure why you're so interested in it. Even with the 18z handing off earlier, the surface is cooked (freezing line in ny state) and 850's aren't really even close. I'm sure other levels have problems as well. The primary draws a huge bubble of warm air (relatively speaking) up the coast with no high pressure or confluence to resist it. It's a really bad setup. Even though it can trend colder there is  virtually zero chance it will be a measurable snow event. 

Agree... I wonder though if we can get the coastal going earlier for the first "storm"... then we can use that as a pseudo 50-50 low and have the second SLP (Sunday one) come up the coast with some colder air in place

Once again all depends on your location. south of 70 forget it but north can have a cold trend and stand a chance.  just like now. northern counties are much colder and have been all day then the cities and south of 70. i never cracked 38 in bel air meanwhile Martins is 43. GFS has my temp around 36 with precip. not asking much to drop it 4 more degrees.

Once again all depends on your location. south of 70 forget it but north can have a cold trend and stand a chance.  just like now. northern counties are much colder and have been all day then the cities and south of 70. i never cracked 38 in bel air meanwhile Martins is 43

I don't disagree with that be we are talking about PHI-NYC needing a lot of help still and quite an unlikely event for them. I applaud your diligence with vort tracking and run over run shifts but at this point I'm not seeing any chance whatsoever for MD or even most of PA. 

Agree... I wonder though if we can get the coastal going earlier for the first "storm"... then we can use that as a pseudo 50-50 low and have the second SLP (Sunday one) come up the coast with some colder air in place

Watch Sunday Night Jan 17th folks remember polar front limps through then arctic front comes while the low to our south rides NNE along the Polar front and explodes Arctic front pulled into a phased system not far fetched!

it is complex but what is hiding behind the bubble of warmth that is brought up by the primary is there a larger storm that develops on the Arctic front near the coast to our south.

I don't disagree with that be we are talking about PHI-NYC needing a lot of help still and quite an unlikely event for them. I applaud your diligence with vort tracking and run over run shifts but at this point I'm not seeing any chance whatsoever for MD or even most of PA. 

Fair enough but i wont ignore a cold trend either.GFS has my temp coldest its been the past 10 runs. Still a chance for a high to build as the northern now Dies. Just gotta die faster and the trend is there 

Once again all depends on your location. south of 70 forget it but north can have a cold trend and stand a chance.  just like now. northern counties are much colder and have been all day then the cities and south of 70. i never cracked 38 in bel air meanwhile Martins is 43. GFS has my temp around 36 with precip. not asking much to drop it 4 more degrees.

Borrowing this picture from famartin's snowstorm page-- the surface obs from Nemo were in the low 30's (33 or 34 F) and plain rain all around the region associated with the coastal low. I'm sure if people just looked at DCA observations, they would have assumed it was snowing somewhere north or northwest of there. There are some setups where it's just not snow, and it's not because of the boundary layer.

CurrSur_20130208-11Z.jpg

Not even Garrett county? The 12z Euro almost makes me want to go to Wisp this weekend

Borrowing this picture from famartin's snowstorm page-- the surface obs from Nemo were in the low 30's (33 or 34 F) and plain rain all around the region associated with the coastal low. I'm sure if people just looked at DCA observations, they would have assumed it was snowing somewhere north or northwest of there. There are some setups where it's just not snow, and it's not because of the boundary layer.

CurrSur_20130208-11Z.jpg

Only difference is The GFS kills the primary near entirely. its pretty much all coastal

You think maybe the Oakland --> Davis --> Snowshoe axis has a chance to get some synoptic snow from this?  Looks like they will be marginal but perhaps elevation can help.

It's tight but looks pretty good right now. That general area looks to get 6-10" through Monday. Snowshoe will probably be the winner if I had to guess. Just a guess though. 

Both Euro and gfs have a sub 985 low ese of usright now ...that's pretty freakin stout with both showing a deform band of sorts around hour 90. My wag is if this trends any stronger the column would crash quickly and rain would change to snow esp n/w of the metros. Maybe a quick accumulation if we're lucky. This threat is no way dead .

Couldn't agree more.

I think everyone should root on the Sunday threat... am thinking that a faster coastal development with the 1st low would help us with the Sunday low's track

Too bad the euro looks like poo. It's a explosive setup if it came together right.

Archived