• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

It was miserable and was the winter that made me an official weenie. I didn't think it would ever snow again so I did my first all-nighter 12/73 for an early winter snow. We got like 8". The rest of that winter sucked too but there was some snow so it seemed like a lot. Lol

I have always feared a 72/73 redux and so far so good this year if it's ever going to happen again.

You are forgetting the 2/8/74 surprise snowstorm that dumped a quick 7-8 inches on Baltimore starting around the time school began.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AER- Cohen blog update today...We may be saved!

Longer term we continue to expect that variability in the polar vortex to strongly influence Northern Hemisphere (NH) weather patterns.  We are more confident that a troposphere-stratosphere-troposphere coupling event (T-S-T) is underway (Cohen et al. 2007) that will result in a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW).   Details of which are given below but based on a correct anticipation of a T-S-T we expect the following AO trends long-term.  The AO will trend negative this week as geopotential heights continue to build across the Arctic.  However next week the predicted strong pulse of vertical energy will force a positive trend in the tropospheric AO but a negative trend in the stratospheric AO.  Once the SSW peaks the tropospheric AO will once again trend negative and the overall negative AO should persist longer than the initial negative AO event that is currently ongoing and is predicted to initiate the SSW.   

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

The gif I posted is 300mb meridional wind speed anomaly, which isn't something I'm used to looking at normally.  So, the strong positive anomalies over the western 2/3rds of the country mean lots of northward motion, which I translate to ridging.  Then you can envision the eastern side of the ridge being near us with southward motion anomalies.  Would be interested to know what that winter had for our area. 

Something I am going to keep an eye on during 00z runs...A bunch of the 18z GFS ensembles are fairly interesting with that piece of energy at the back end of the trough during the the 16th-17th storm....Some redevelop the low into a large system...LONG shot, but whatever

It's a long shot but it's about all we have to even look for so its worth keeping an eye on.

It's a long shot but it's about all we have to even look for so its worth keeping an eye on.

I dug into the euro ens members ealier. There's enough to consider the option. More often then not that's how out storms work. Not some long lead lock for the distance. But a medium term alignment of features that put something on the radar kind of suddenly. I know you know this. Just making a general statement.

The weekend storm looks like a certain dud attm. But the air mass behind it is pretty good. And the high doesn't seem like it will be a suppressing monster or anything. Just need the departing system to set up a properly aligned boundary for something on the heels to take advantage of.

The period coincides with a relaxation of the AO so that's a plus as well. Maybe 0z burps a storm our way or at least leads more credence to the idea.

I dug into the euro ens members ealier. There's enough to consider the option. More often then not that's how out storms work. Not some long lead lock for the distance. But a medium term alignment of features that put something on the radar kind of suddenly. I know you know this. Just making a general statement.

The weekend storm looks like a certain dud attm. But the air mass behind it is pretty good. And the high doesn't seem like it will be a suppressing monster or anything. Just need the departing system to set up a properly aligned boundary for something on the heels to take advantage of.

The period coincides with a relaxation of the AO so that's a plus as well. Maybe 0z burps a storm our way or at least leads more credence to the idea.

Something like that, a system popping in the heels of another storm might be our only way to score while the pac jet is raging like this. The trough has to leave enough behind to allow something to get going. We will see.

The gif I posted is 300mb meridional wind speed anomaly, which isn't something I'm used to looking at normally.  So, the strong positive anomalies over the western 2/3rds of the country mean lots of northward motion, which I translate to ridging.  Then you can envision the eastern side of the ridge being near us with southward motion anomalies.  Would be interested to know what that winter had for our area. 

Really neat maps you posted.  I've been trying to find info online regarding that year's winter but all I've found is historic warmth for Minneapolis, Chicago, etc.

ETA:  http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcatemps.pdf  Dec/Jan/Feb avg was 41.8/33.5/39.8 - can't find snowfall data as official data for NWS began 10 years after that

Thinking best shot for this Monday night into Tuesday...look at how the last storm left a strong ssw flow aloft along the East coast how about droping another vort behind the weekend dud then turn the storm up the coast with the cold easing in from the northwest.

Something I am going to keep an eye on during 00z runs...A bunch of the 18z GFS ensembles are fairly interesting with that piece of energy at the back end of the trough during the the 16th-17th storm....Some redevelop the low into a large system...LONG shot, but whatever

Maybe an outside shot at some back-end flakes from a secondary. That's all I'm counting on at this point.

I am more looking at the Days 9-16 snowfall maps on the 18z GEFS individ members... once again it shows intrigue with close to half of its total members (9 out of 20, give or take a member) for accumulating snowfall of 2"+ at DCA... it does have a few large snowfall amounts which are fun to see

Here in the MA,  it is being said that the system is going negative too soon. But in the SE forum, they say it needs to go negative sooner. So which is it? Or is negative later better for the MA and negative sooner better for the SE. Only asking as I am dead on the boarder, and do not know which may be better.

Here in the MA,  it is being said that the system is going negative too soon. But in the SE forum, they say it needs to go negative sooner. So which is it? Or is negative later better for the MA and negative sooner better for the SE. Only asking as I am dead on the boarder, and do not know which may be better.

I would think the best area for a system to start negative tilt for both SE and MA to be passed the Miss. Valley.

Still don't really favor the first system but change a thing or two and it's better. Wave on its heels is tricky... even small details there can impact how much the first can did. Not to mention that one almost blows up into something huge after too.  Very volatile setup in that range. No reason to go way south on that stuff just yet.

Still don't really favor the first system but change a thing or two and it's better. Wave on its heels is tricky... even small details there can impact how much the first can did. Not to mention that one almost blows up into something huge after too. Very volatile setup in that range. No reason to go way south on that stuff just yet.

Yeah that second one came close on that run.

I swear I think that first one is intriguing.

Still don't really favor the first system but change a thing or two and it's better. Wave on its heels is tricky... even small details there can impact how much the first can did. Not to mention that one almost blows up into something huge after too. Very volatile setup in that range. No reason to go way south on that stuff just yet.

Lots of energy down in the gulf after the first storm goes through. If the trough was sharper, I think that would help to bring the low up the coast vs OTS.

One thing this next week's pattern never had on the models is a HP in SE Canada or near the Lakes....The day 9-10 GFS is showing just that....lol hate me all ya want, bring it.

As for what you mentioned earlier Bob, I would continue to keep an eye out on that wave. In the past we've seen storms kind of hit the models out of no where. As long as you have some ingredients on the map sometimes you'll see an event materialize in the 96-120hr period. 

Okay, I'll say it...

GFS 228 hours actually a really good setup. 1032 HP in ideal position and a neutral shortwave in OK

Couldn't resist putting that in there could ya? Lol Don't give the forum anything else to torture itself over, lol But I do have to wonder if at least SOMETHING will pop up before the month is out...

Archived