joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.  I'm half hoping for a shut out through January as there have been too many folks talking about how great the pattern is and how it resembles 19xx, a potential analog when the two most consistant analogs have been 1998 and 1983.   The pattern is better than it was last month but....it still is not perfect.  The pattern has never been an above normal one for snow. This month it has had periods when it has approached normal which in DC never yeilds real high probabilities.  The pattern still is not a terrible one nor a really good one though it certainly is unlikely to yield snow through the weekend. 

You know things are bad when the #1 winter weather expert in the mid-atlantic is half-hoping for a shutout for January...

Let's face it.  Pretty much of a disaster if you are looking for a certain outcome, i.e. snow, this winter.  Otherwise good reference when another super nino comes to town.

While I think it will snow this winter, if the models continue to be as erratic as they have been, it will come without much warning at all.

Euro ens flip the ao/nao to + around the 19th or so. EPO looks neg though.

Pretty bootleg if so. Hopefully we can torch the final week to get up to +4 or so. I'm just about on the prowl for record warmest winter.

Euro ens flip the ao/nao to + around the 19th or so. EPO looks neg though.

Maybe a good thing...score on the flip.

It's both discouraging and uplifting to look at the performance of the ensembles.

If you look at the eps prediction of this past Saturday from 8 days out and then look at the actual 12z initialized conditions from Saturday they don't even look like they are worlds apart. I guess the moral is just wait and see. What else can you do?

Imagine that A high in the making. this run is the coldest yet up north. everything in Canada shifted 100 miles south this run alone. Much more confluence to the north. GFS gonna continue its move east and colder. http://www.txtornado.net/GFS/new_slp_gfs_all_18.htmhttp://www.txtornado.net/GFS/new_500_gfs_all_18.htm

This is the situation where the counterclockwise off the low and the very well positioned high would push cold air onto midcatlantic

New weeklies look pretty bad in week long form.

Below avg precip thru week 3 then we go above as it warms up first week of Feb. Seemingly strengthening +NAO at end.

Do I detect glee in that post? Lol

If this winter fails on the whole, I think the strengthening Niño is the culprit. I recall many suggested that if it didn't peak and fade fast, or if it did what it's done in the last week, we'd be cooked...literally and figuratively. But the weeklies are far from bulletproof so who really knows. I do have to admit that it is shocking that the entire east coast south of Maine has been essentially shutout.

Do I detect glee in that post? Lol

If this winter fails on the whole, I think the strengthening Niño is the culprit. I recall many suggested that if it didn't peak and fade fast, or if it did what it's done in the last week, we'd be cooked...literally and figuratively. But the weeklies are far from bulletproof so who really knows. I do have to admit that it is shocking that the entire east coast south of Maine has been essentially shutout.

Well I went really low for seasonal so I'll chase that till I can't. Still I was happy to see the blocking and with the hope of good times. I love snow and the forecasting of a snowstorm. The rest of winter... Getting less in love with it over time. Getting old I guess. ;)

Something to extremes even if not the ones we want. Would be remarkable to see really low totals up into New England... Tho they'll probably get blitzed in March or something heh.

Not terrible. Seem to do an ok job overall but don't do well with any abrupt changes during weeks 3-4 from what I've seen. Weeks 1-2 are identical to the previous 0z eps run so they are as good as the eps during that period.

They've done pretty well outside the high latitudes which most things have messed up. If anything they seem a little slow or fast with looks at times but adding them to a blend of long range ideas would have made most of them better this winter IMO.

I've long written off this weekends event. Euro ens have a weak signal that a trailing piece of energy at the base of the trough gets its act together and turns the corner. That's probably our next chance at anything and quite a slim chance from how it looks attm.

Been keeping my eye on that, it is our last hope IMO for the time being...

Archived