• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

The d6-7 storm is a good test for the euro para irt our yards. Still too early but tomorrow is d5-6 so the tail end of good skill for ops.

The 12z para run says snow here. But still a jacked up complicated progression. If the para catches on to the possibility first then I'm a believer. Jury is out and even then this is only one specific point in time. It's easy to not pay attention when a model nails a 1045 hp overhead but another one said 1035 tops. Lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the problem is it goes negative too early.

I could be wrong, but looking at a loop of the 500mb maps I noticed that the problem seems to be our 50/50 low is slowly moving west along with the other vort north of the GL that's a problem too. So I looked east to see what's up and look what we have....a monster block in the Eastern Atlantic that is causing everything to get pushed away from its ideal location. That's gotta get out of there or we're fooked for some time to come imho.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=111ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F00%2Fgfs_atlantic_111_500_vort_ht.gif&model=gfs&area=atlantic&param=500_vort_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160111+00+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

GFS is almost laughable But key changes there is FINALLY a high on the run. and the coastal storm that has been taken OTS for 12+ runs has moved significantly back. GGEM has been saying the first wave will be the producer and looks like GFS wants to take it that way too. this is no where near a final solution for this clueless model. Personally i dont think it cuts like that. it goes further east interacts with the coastal bomb and floods cold air in 

post-12800-0-91263800-1452486258_thumb.g

post-12800-0-81965600-1452486259_thumb.g

post-12800-0-29083900-1452486260_thumb.g

post-12800-0-78965700-1452486260_thumb.g

GFS is almost laughable But key changes there is FINALLY a high on the run. and the coastal storm that has been taken OTS for 12+ runs has moved significantly back. GGEM has been saying the first wave will be the producer and looks like GFS wants to take it that way too. this is no where near a final solution for this clueless model. Personally i dont think it cuts like that. it goes further east interacts with the coastal bomb and floods cold air in

Nope--I don't think we can trust the gfs this month at all. It appears to be batting zero with even just the temps--I'm personally not putting any stock in it whatsoever (and it's certainly not worth jumping off the cliff over!)

The GFS caught Tuesday's clipper before any of the other models, and run to run hasn't been changing much within 96 hours. Outside of that it can't make up its mind. So my guess is that we really won't know anything about next weekend for at least another 48 hours?

I don't think the euro has been so bullish with the clipper. The gfs hasn't scored the points yet.

Sorry to ask this here and someone can move this to banter but what happened that the philly forum ended up dead?

I don't know why they did....but tombo and other Philly posters started another forum strictly for the Philadelphia region. I post there sometimes of course since a lot of the Philly mets. post there. Just being part of the wx forum community since wright-weather & TWC I will always feel biased to this forum. 

As for the GFS run, way inland for day 6 low, but there is a bit of potential for the one beyond that. Seems like we've been saying that for days now so it is kind of painful, but just need to be patient I guess. As Bob said this is a big test for the Para EURO. If it changes tonight towards GFS my trust in it going forward won't be as high. Either the GFS is completely off its rockers or it is going to be leading the back (though the Canadian has had this idea for a while too)

Not sure how the in between frames look But UKMET looks good. this should be a miller B transfer near VA. just need more interaction

Primary into lake Eerie at least, that's not a good look for the 95 corridor in the mid Atlantic

then  use SV they  DO have the surface map and 50 mb maps etc and it coems out sooner on SV  than it does on wxbell

I definitely see your point but my 'issue' is the lack of the more sophisticated and detailed maps that WxBell makes available for it vs the OP. I can see the basics on WxBell but it's nowhere near what they have for the OP. Also, it doesn't come out until 3 or so hours after the OP (not a big deal but when the OP is there staring you in the face, you can't help but look ;)). I think it's good to look at both but put a bit more confidence in the para.

Archived