amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd we have surpressed heights but no 5050 low.  Need it to get a good right entrance jet going.

Yeah funny eh....We get a great block and 50/50 and can't find a HP or confluence anywhere....We get no 50/50 and boom a 1032 HP in the ideal spot and boom 12" of snow in VA...hell, maybe that is what it will take this winter

I don't think we need a 50/50 low as much as a lead low passing thru that general region. The d10+ thingy happens during a fairly solid shift in the NAO tho looks like it may be brief in this pretend scenario.

Well, we did get a snowstorm on the 00z GFS. It is day 10 though. This 'event' has been on the models now for few runs. 12z EURO had it @ 240 hours too

I think "day 10" is quickly becoming a dirty word around here! But, a chance is a chance. Though we're gearing up to strike out this weekend, hopefully we'll have another swing at that (but I'm certainly not betting on it right now!)

Euro a colder rain. It looks like it's actually 2 different storms happening at the same time instead of a transfer. The euro has a millera aND a cutter at the same time lol

What did it have 24 hours ago? If we get another 24 hours of trends like the past 24 we may be in business.

What did it have 24 hours ago? If we get another 24 hours of trends like the past 24 we may be in business.

6z looked better for follow up wave. Looks closer to coast and it's only Tuesday. In fact everything looks better this morning. Not great but better.

Maybe , just maybe,  hope for help from the top. 

I respect Ed, and his thoughts on all things strat related 

Granted anything happening in that time frame looks to benefit later Feb. 

https://twitter.com/chionomaniac/status/686231396277432320

Strat PV is taking a big hit by the end of Jan. Getting toasty up top

CYX7ufEWwAE0oiy.png

spike in region 3 too. I saw a number of proclamations that Nino would fade quickly but not happening. Slow burn. NDJ should be 2.3 again. Almost no chance to be less than that. outside chance at 2.4

Just given past strong nino performances seemed a little hopeful it was going to fade fast. See some folks starting to note it looks like it could linger better then other big ones like 97/98. Maybe we can get a 'third' nino in a row next winter. ;)

Just given past strong nino performances seemed a little hopeful it was going to fade fast. See some folks starting to note it looks like it could linger better then other big ones like 97/98. Maybe we can get a 'third' nino in a row next winter. ;)

The silver lining I see in this recent Niño spike I mentioned yesterday is the likelihood that we get a neutral next year vs a Nina that all the models were showing a couple months ago.

The silver lining I see in this recent Niño spike I mentioned yesterday is the likelihood that we get a neutral next year vs a Nina that all the models were showing a couple months ago.

All I know is one of the quietest tornado years ever happened in the third warm year in a row. So... hope that doesn't occur again. :P

FWIW, looks like 5 or so of the 06z GEFS individ members give DCA 2"+ snow in the Day 5 to 8 time period... so that is around 25% of the total ensembles... most of the action is N and W of the city as usual

06z GEFS also has a 997 transferred low sitting just below the outer banks on Saturday.  It drops to 994 as it heads NE.  The problem is not enough cold?  Slides too far off shore and not up the coast?  

Archived