joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the GFS possibly be right for the 17-18th time frame given it has almost no support/very little support?

Every once in awhile the GFS sniffs out a storm the Euro does not, but it's about a once in every 2-3 years sort of thing. My hunch right now is no. People think the GFS did well last year with the NYC blizzard that wasn't, but in reality it did not do well outside of that 100 square mile area, it sucked for all of New England

Every once in awhile the GFS sniffs out a storm the Euro does not, but it's about a once in every 2-3 years sort of thing. My hunch right now is no. People think the GFS did well last year with the NYC blizzard that wasn't, but in reality it did not do well outside of that 100 square mile area, it sucked for all of New England

From what I've witnessed over the the years, this seems to be one of the those cases where the gfs is too far north and west and the euro is too far south and east. Last night's eps had a cluster of sub 1000mb lows off the coast of SC but they all move ene from there and don't pose any threat. My guess is the GFS keeps the storm but backs off on turning the corner and the euro op does the opposite. 

Euro still generally did better on that event it just bungled the western edge for a while. Of course that didn't stop NOAA leaders from pretending it was a huge coup for the GFS lol.

I was able to make a few plots from the 12z GFSX (which hasn't finished running yet, so the graphics sites don't have it yet).    It's pretty similar to the ops GFS, but it's a tad further east.   Verbatim, it gives DC Metro under 0.10", but it certainly doesn't resemble the 12z ECMWF.

That track is probably enough to give the area at least light snow with a low that strong.  It's really not that much different than the 6z GFSx.

Euro Ens pretty much split the the difference between the ops. They definitely favor a turn across the N FL but not close enough to impact pretty much anybody. 

None of the members are as far south as the op was but none are that great. Basically a line of stuff from FL to the NE at 12z Sun and then everything fairly well offshore after.

Yea, about what I expected tbh. It was a fun couple of hours though. 

Closer look suggests that the ensembles don't support the op at all and look alot more like the UKIE.  Which arguably is closer to the GFS camp at this point (Camp A is sipping tequila in Cuba and Camp B is in OBX).  It's comparable to the 0z EPS, but the spread is pretty wide for this range.

Unfortunately, a compromise solution here isn't enough to get anyone north of Richmond meaningful southern stream snow.  We need the GFS to be correct with shortwave getting amped early on.

I was able to make a few plots from the 12z GFSX (which hasn't finished running yet, so the graphics sites don't have it yet).    It's pretty similar to the ops GFS, but it's a tad further east.   Verbatim, it gives DC Metro under 0.10", but it certainly doesn't resemble the 12z ECMWF.

you are awesome.  This is awesome.  Your giving us output using the raw data before it is available publicly... no one else in my life would ever understand why this is so cool.  

12Z GFS/GEFS CAMP MORE QUICKLY EJECT SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY
ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO...ALLOWING PHASING WITH NORTHERN STREAM
ENERGY DIVING INTO THE GREAT LAKES SUNDAY. THIS DEVELOPS A STRONG
COASTAL LOW OVER THE NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO THAT TRACKS UP
THE EASTERN SEABOARD WITH AMPLE COLD AIR FEEDING INTO IT. THIS
COULD OFFER A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TO OUR AREA. LAST NIGHT`S
00Z EC MEAN AND TODAY`S 12Z OPER ECMWF ARE SLOWER WITH THE
SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY...WITH NO PHASING OR COASTAL LOW. INSTEAD
IT HAS A STRONG CLIPPER SYSTEM WITH SNOW SHOWERS SIMILAR TO THE
SETUP OBSERVED TUESDAY. 12Z CMC/JMA ARE SIMILAR TO 12Z GFS AT 500
MB BUT NOT AS AMPLIFIED AND HAVE NO REAL COASTAL REFLECTION
EITHER. 12Z UKMET HAS A STRONG COASTAL LOW BUT FURTHER OFFSHORE.
TELECONNECTIONS SHOW A STRONG -AO WITH A MODERATELY -NAO BOTH
TRENDING ABRUPTLY POSITIVE HEADING INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK.
HISTORICALLY THIS IS WHEN WE HAVE OUR GREATER CHANCE OF A WINTER
STORM...BUT THE CARDS STILL HAVE TO FALL IN THE RIGHT PLACES.
BOTTOM LINE POTENTIAL IS THERE AND REQUIRES CLOSE MONITORING BUT
LARGE SPREAD PROHIBITS A FORECAST WITH ANYTHING MORE THAN CHANCE
POPS AT THIS TIME.

Closer look suggests that the ensembles don't support the op at all and look alot more like the UKIE. Which arguably is closer to the GFS camp at this point (Camp A is sipping tequila in Cuba and Camp B is in OBX). It's comparable to the 0z EPS, but the spread is pretty wide for this range.

Unfortunately, a compromise solution here isn't enough to get anyone north of Richmond meaningful southern stream snow. We need the GFS to be correct with shortwave getting amped early on.

Has that (shortwave amplifying early) happened yet with a storm this winter (even if it was a rain storm)?

Afternooon AFD from LWX very well written discussing Sunday potential:

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES ARISE PRETTY QUICKLY IN THE MODEL GUIDANCE
DURING THE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEKEND WITH MAJOR IMPLICATIONS ON THE
SENSIBLE WEATHER PATTERN ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC.

12Z GFS/GEFS CAMP MORE QUICKLY EJECT SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY
ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO...ALLOWING PHASING WITH NORTHERN STREAM
ENERGY DIVING INTO THE GREAT LAKES SUNDAY. THIS DEVELOPS A STRONG
COASTAL LOW OVER THE NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO THAT TRACKS UP
THE EASTERN SEABOARD WITH AMPLE COLD AIR FEEDING INTO IT. THIS
COULD OFFER A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TO OUR AREA. LAST NIGHT`S
00Z EC MEAN AND TODAY`S 12Z OPER ECMWF ARE SLOWER WITH THE
SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY...WITH NO PHASING OR COASTAL LOW. INSTEAD
IT HAS A STRONG CLIPPER SYSTEM WITH SNOW SHOWERS SIMILAR TO THE
SETUP OBSERVED TUESDAY. 12Z CMC/JMA ARE SIMILAR TO 12Z GFS AT 500
MB BUT NOT AS AMPLIFIED AND HAVE NO REAL COASTAL REFLECTION
EITHER. 12Z UKMET HAS A STRONG COASTAL LOW BUT FURTHER OFFSHORE.
TELECONNECTIONS SHOW A STRONG -AO WITH A MODERATELY -NAO BOTH
TRENDING ABRUPTLY POSITIVE HEADING INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK.
HISTORICALLY THIS IS WHEN WE HAVE OUR GREATER CHANCE OF A WINTER
STORM...BUT THE CARDS STILL HAVE TO FALL IN THE RIGHT PLACES.
BOTTOM LINE POTENTIAL IS THERE AND REQUIRES CLOSE MONITORING BUT
LARGE SPREAD PROHIBITS A FORECAST WITH ANYTHING MORE THAN CHANCE
POPS AT THIS TIME.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT EVER TYPE OF STORM /OR LACK THEREOF/ DEVELOPS
DURING THE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEKEND...A STRONG BLAST OF ARCTIC AIR
WILL FOLLOW DURING THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK. THIS MAY BE THE MOST
PROLONGED COLD OUTBREAK SO FAR THIS WINTER...WITH 850 MB TEMPS
STAYING BELOW 0 C FROM SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT
WEEK. BELOW TO WELL BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES WILL BE OBSERVED
DURING THIS TIME WITH HIGHS IN THE 20S POSSIBLE MON-TUE AND LOWS IN
THE SINGLE DIGITS AND TEENS.

For anyone that follows Justin Berk on FB, he just posted an article from NOAA  about the recent GFS upgrade (dated 1-11-16) Thinks this weekend is a good test to see if the GFS has indeed passed up the Euro.  Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath...

Once a weenie...

Para GFS went the wrong way at 12z. Barely any precip into DC.

Now imagine if the 18z GFS trends even more in our favor. People will not be able to just dismiss it and say "Its just the 18z GFS". This is because the storm has been trending so far and the 18z(if it continues the trend) will not be a blip.

As long as it's not particularly supported (if at all) it's fair to call it an outlying solution and not likely to happen. I'm not sure anybody here will gain any more confidence if it trends a bit more in our favor. 

Archived