wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not a fan of the 00z eps.  system shows up, but its picking up on the crap temps from the quick look.

to not have a couple outrageous members..  (even the last eps had 2+ inch amounts into the CAE area) is a bad sign on the temp profiles for many.  GEFS is agreeing for the most part.  850s do crash it seems.  Hell even the 540 (thickness) drops through... but 2m/surface issues...

Gonna be a chilly rain for a big part of GA, SC, NC if things don't change.  Some areas can get some snow though... too early to draw that line.

3 AM discussion in KCAE does say this (my exact thoughts, but i'd include far northern SC into it (rock hill area).

THERE REMAINS SOME DISCREPANCY AMONG THE GFS/ECMWF  
REGARDING THIS SECOND SYSTEM WITH THE ECMWF BEING MUCH FURTHER SOUTH  
WITH LESS MOISTURE AVAILABLE COMPARED TO THE GFS SO UNCERTAINTY IS  
HIGH AND THEREFORE CONFIDENCE IS LOWER THAN NORMAL. WILL CONTINUE  
WITH THE SLIGHT CHANCE POPS WE CURRENTLY ARE FORECASTING UNTIL A  
BETTER CONVERGENCE OF SOLUTIONS OCCURS. THE FORECAST SOUNDINGS DO  
NOT SUPPORT ANY PRECIP TYPE OTHER THAN RAIN ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA  
ALTHOUGH SOME COLD AIR ARRIVING ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE SYSTEM COULD  
LEAD TO SOME POSSIBLE SNOW NORTH OF THE FORECAST AREA ACROSS NORTH  
CAROLINA POSSIBLY...BUT THAT IS NOT A HIGH PROBABILITY. 

00z EPS is improved although the lows for the esnemble members are still fairly dispersed. I will say the HP diving into the central US is a bit stronger on the 00z EPS at 12z 1/17 which is a good sign. Other than that, no crucially important changes to note with a quick look this morning.

The 00z GEFS trended a lot more north especially regarding the gulf, the mean now tracks over the southern part of the gulf states and off the SC coast sub 1000mb...

12uChbz.png

then right off of HAT as a coastal. You can see the increase in moisture on the GEFS mean as well, now up to 0.7" for 6 hour precip.

wT4NV5v.png

Much more closer to the coast and stronger than the 18z GEFS and the same time period

vi7lNCj.png

6z GEFS is about 50 miles south of the 0z.  Not as much moisture as a result.  A bit of a step back.  Now we wait on the 12z.

no it isnt, it actually throws more moisture/sn back into western nc/sc and the sfc low is stronger. not a step back at all.  still has that qpf max around the lp center and struggles to throw back any sig qpf but we will have to watch it as we get within 72hrs or so and see if it trends wetter, as we have seen with a few storms here this fall and winter.  can't have too much of a good thing though, bc temps are borderline (but they always are).

no it isnt, it actually throws more moisture/sn back into western nc/sc and the sfc low is stronger. not a step back at all.  still has that qpf max around the lp center and struggles to throw back any sig qpf but we will have to watch it as we get within 72hrs or so and see if it trends wetter, as we have seen with a few storms here this fall and winter.  can't have too much of a good thing though, bc temps are borderline (but they always are).

I will have to respectively disagree. With respect to the low pressure:

At 0z Sunday the 6z run is 1008, the 0z - 1006

6z Sunday:  6z-1008, 0z-1006

12 Sunday: 6z-1005, 0z-1004 (tucked in closer to coastline)

18z Sunday: 6z-1000, 0z-999 (closer to Hatteras)

As far as precip, here are the 24hr totals.  I often use this to look for shifts in the track (especially the dreaded NW shift).  It will also show systems ramping up precip as a storm nears as you mentioned in your post.

6z

jfuo66D.png

0z run

h0r4ibg.png

I will have to respectively disagree. With respect to the low pressure:

At 0z Sunday the 6z run is 1008, the 0z - 1006

6z Sunday:  6z-1008, 0z-1006

12 Sunday: 6z-1005, 0z-1004 (tucked in closer to coastline)

18z Sunday: 6z-1000, 0z-999 (closer to Hatteras)

As far as precip, here are the 24hr totals.  I often use this to look for shifts in the track (especially the dreaded NW shift).  It will also show systems ramping up precip as a storm nears as you mentioned in your post.

6z

Your 6z map ends at 1pm on Sunday while your 00z map ends at 7pm Sunday.  Hence, you aren't comparing apples to apples here. Several of the members have more precip falling between 1pm and 7pm in NC.

Really hard not to like how the Canadian Ensembles evolve the Pacific over time.  The Aleutian low retrogrades nicely and really pumps the PNA ridge.  The GEFS agree to an extent.  Franklin said the EPS do as well, although I can only see them through 240.  That will help a lot, should it come to pass.

This is one of those storms where the exact timing of the phase is going to make a huge difference.  Earlier the better on this one.  Too late, and it's weak and out to sea with a show shower or two at best.

With 3-4 days and the ensembles are all over the board still, some with nothing at all, some with a bombing low right off the coast.

There is a lot of interplay with these systems.  If the Sunday storm goes up the coast and bombs out, that holds our cold high pressure in longer behind it.  12z GEFS coming in has trended colder with the southern stream wave coming in flatter into the southern plains for the storm late next week.  It's showing the CAD / overrunning threat into the leftover cold air

A little CAD action setting up on the 12Z GFS out around 200 hours:

g27Ctq4.png

Archived